Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Rumor: Mets Have Concerns With Correa Physical

LewFordLives

3 minutes ago, Danchat said:

The drama never ends! What happens next, nobody knows! I think there’s still a chance he ends up a Twin, but would he pass a physical here?

Sure he'd pass a Twins physical. Buxton did, right?

18 minutes ago, chpettit19 said:

Looking like short years, high AAV deals for Correa moving forward. I still expect him to end up in NY with the Mets, but on a deal similar to the 3 years 105 million deal he had here. Without the opt outs.

I would take him with that deal here, too

Just now, LewFordLives said:

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that he does circle back to the Twins. Do they still do $185 million over ten? They of all the teams, should know the most about his physical condition. They would look pretty foolish if they suddenly backed off.

Why would they look foolish for backing out when two others did? 

1 minute ago, Mike Sixel said:

Why would they look foolish for backing out when two others did? 

Because if there is an issue they should have known about it. He presumably had a physical when he signed last year and I assume his health status was monitored throughout the year. The media reports indicate it is an old injury.

I'm not saying they shouldn't back away. I'm not a fan of a long term deal for him in the first place. But one could conclude two other teams caught something the Twins didn't. Or maybe the Twins just don't think it's an issue.

17 minutes ago, Danchat said:

The drama never ends! What happens next, nobody knows! I think there’s still a chance he ends up a Twin, but would he pass a physical here?

I don't think it's just a matter of the physical. I fully understand all of these teams pausing when their medical experts come back with concerns. This is a huge and long obligation we are talking about. But a team can still decided it's worth the risk and go right ahead and sign him. BUT, it might be more about the insurance you'd like to place on the contract. It might be refused, or so expensive it's not worth paying for. 

If things start to fall apart in NY, as I stated previously, it MIGHT be an opportunity for the TWINS  to take a worthwhile shot for a great player on a shorter/smaller deal of their own and just live with the risk. The reward might be too great.

2 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

The Buxton deal was a huge discount. If Buxton had a strong bill of health with no history, he’d be getting Judge money. What about, what about …

So if the Twinkies are still interested in re-signing Correa they're going to discount his deal as well?

That's all this team needs; two hobbled super stars. Add 'em together and maybe we'll get a total of 160 games out of them. Then subtract scheduled Rocco Rest Days... Nope. Ain't seeing a trip to the play-offs in the cards.

7 minutes ago, LewFordLives said:

Because if there is an issue they should have known about it. He presumably had a physical when he signed last year and I assume his health status was monitored throughout the year. The media reports indicate it is an old injury.

I'm not saying they shouldn't back away. I'm not a fan of a long term deal for him in the first place. But one could conclude two other teams caught something the Twins didn't. Or maybe the Twins just don't think it's an issue.

Or that something happened last year that makes them wary … or something that has recently been reaggravated.

2 minutes ago, DocBauer said:

it might be more about the insurance you'd like to place on the contract. It might be refused, or so expensive it's not worth paying for. 

This sounds right to me.  The team may be willing to take the risk, so long as they can insure against that risk, but if the insurance company says no thanks, it will definitely push the team to reconsider...

17 minutes ago, Dave The Dastardly said:

So if the Twinkies are still interested in re-signing Correa they're going to discount his deal as well?

That's all this team needs; two hobbled super stars. Add 'em together and maybe we'll get a total of 160 games out of them. Then subtract scheduled Rocco Rest Days... Nope. Ain't seeing a trip to the play-offs in the cards.

I’m saying that the two are highly different situations. Correa didn’t come up through our system and wanted to stay like Bux; so the FO constructed a deal for Buxton that is based entirely on Buxton remaining on the field. He gets paid more when he plays more. It is hugely incentive based. As I said, if he weren’t a risk, he’d be making Judge money up front, free and clear. He’s not. Not even close. And whatever Correa’s medical issue is, I’m sure it’s not identical. I don’t know what it is so I don’t know what kind of deal is or isn’t appropriate for his set of circumstances. You are trying to make them comparable, and they aren’t, imo. And I’m not saying just go out and sign Correa now for whatever … I’m curious what the issue is and what the risk is and what it would take because I think he can still be valuable, I just don’t know what the issue is, as I said, so don’t know what an appropriate deal would be. And Correa was on the field a lot more than Buxton last season. Just not comparable.

Various reports over the past 24 hours have indicated the Giants raised concerns regarded Correa’s right leg. As a prospect in the Astros organization, a then 19-year-old Correa fractured his right fibula while playing in High-A in June 2014. The injury required surgery and cost him the remainder of that season. Last night, Andrew Baggarly of The Athletic wrote about the dilemma and called San Francisco’s concern “pretty obvious” while linking to a 2014 Houston Chronicle story about the fibula fracture.

I believe Correa had a hard slide this summer and felt some pain around the metal plate. I don't believe he missed any time, but something might be showing up on x-rays that raises concern.

The chaos and mayhem around Correa's signing/not signing is sort of funny, but I'm not sure it does anything for the Twins. The way Cohen is spending on the Mets and not caring about his luxury tax impacts suggests to me that even if there is "something" in his physical, it's unlikely to matter. Cohen right now doesn't care about insurance and will almost certainly overrule his staff if needed. Wonder if this makes SF feel better?

(Will Cohen start caring about all of the money running out the door if a) he doesn't win a title, or b) if he does? That might get interesting. Sometimes these guys flip the other way once they get that achievement...)

Until we get more detail on what the issue is, I have no ability to judge the possible severity and impact and whether the Twins should try and jump back in. I do think if Boros is saying "no, you can't investigate this before increasing your offer if you want to get back in" then the Twins have to step carefully, because that's a red alert.

2 minutes ago, mnfireman said:

Various reports over the past 24 hours have indicated the Giants raised concerns regarded Correa’s right leg. As a prospect in the Astros organization, a then 19-year-old Correa fractured his right fibula while playing in High-A in June 2014. The injury required surgery and cost him the remainder of that season. Last night, Andrew Baggarly of The Athletic wrote about the dilemma and called San Francisco’s concern “pretty obvious” while linking to a 2014 Houston Chronicle story about the fibula fracture.

I believe Correa had a hard slide this summer and felt some pain around the metal plate. I don't believe he missed any time, but something might be showing up on x-rays that raises concern.

X-rays or metal detector? Got a brother with three screws and a plate in his fibula. Can't be in the kitchen when his wife fires up the microwave. Jumps around like a Blyleven hot foot otherwise.