Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Minnesota Twins Pitchers and Catchers Report: An Offseason Summary

The Minnesota Twins will kick off actual baseball action down in Fort Myers this week, and with pitchers and catchers reporting today, the offseason has officially come to an end. That doesn’t mean their won’t be additional changes to the roster, but Major League Baseball’s calendar has flipped to 2023.

Image courtesy of Amanda Inscore/The News-Press USA TODAY NETWORK-Florida / USA TODAY NETWORK

For the Minnesota Twins, 2023 represents an opportunity to right the ship. Rocco Baldelli got off to a great start in his managerial career, but since the 2019 Bomba Squad, things haven’t been the same. Despite a postseason berth in 2020, the Twins have missed playoff baseball each of the past two years. This roster looks the part of being the best we’ve seen in some time, and the front office now wants to see it matter on the field.

While we are still a bit away from seeing the Twins in game action, there is plenty to catch up on from the offseason.

Who’s Out
From the Opening Day roster last year, just 14 players currently remain in the system. Notably, starting catcher Gary Sanchez is gone, and so too are starting infielders Luis Arraez and Gio Urshela. Minnesota flipped the arbitration-eligible Urshela to the Los Angeles Angels for prospect Alejandro Hidalgo, while Arraez’s departure brought in Jorge Lopez (along with Jose Salas and Byron Chourio). The rotation will no longer see Dylan Bundy or Chris Archer among it, and longstanding organizational piece Miguel Sano remains unemployed at the moment.

For Minnesota, this roster is one of renewed belief. Although Arraez was beloved by fans, his deal brought in much-needed pitching help. It will be weird to see Sano in a different uniform if and when he ever surfaces again, but not being in the organization has removed a vein for storylines. The rotation a season ago was largely pieced together, and with both departures for the Twins still being unemployed, it’s not shocking that the new group shows more promise.

Who’s In
Most importantly, Carlos Correa is back. Although it took some weird twists and turns to happen, Correa is with the organization at least for another six years, meaning that his deal lines up perfectly with Byron Buxton’s. A true superstar shortstop, Twins fans could watch C4 trend towards an eventual Hall of Fame enshrinement due to his exploits in the new Minnesota threads. The shortstop is also joined by a new backstop in Christian Vazquez. He is expected to start the bulk of Minnesota’s games, and will push Ryan Jeffers into more of a reserve role than he saw a season ago. The outfield grabbed an addition in Joey Gallo, and while he’ll need to bounce back from a down season with the Dodgers and Yankees, he adds defensive talent that could make Minnesota’s outfield the best in baseball.

The rotation brings back Kenta Maeda at 100% after missing last season due to Tommy John surgery, and the aforementioned Lopez should be expected to contribute in a big way as well. The bullpen has largely gone unaddressed, but that could be an area Minnesota looks to tweak before Opening Day. Kyle Farmer was added as a fallback option, and now immediately slots in as a high-level utility player.

What Are We Watching For
This season is one for the youth. Jose Miranda is going to start at the hot corner and be expected to contribute immediately. Plenty of promise has followed Alex Kirilloff, and it’s up to his wrist as to whether he can be the regular at first base. Trevor Larnach has looked the part of a true impact bat, but injuries have kept him off the field. He was solid in left field last season, but will need to show he can remain healthy. That was the major downfall last year, health, and Nick Paparesta’s addition to the organization can hopefully make a quiet impact. Seeing the likes of Buxton, Tyler Mahle, Jeffers, Jorge Polanco, and any number of other players remain available should only enhance Minnesota’s chances.

Which Twins player will breakout in 2023? We have seen Louie Varland win the Twins Minor League Pitcher of the Year each of the past two seasons (2021, 2022). Royce Lewis made his big league debut in 2022 and should be back this summer. Simeon Woods Richardson showed up for one start at the end of the year as well. Does Austin Martin or Brooks Lee get the call? Maybe David Festa forces his way into big league action. Although the Twins may not have the top end talent of some other organizations, their prospect depth is plenty exciting.

Many of Minnesota’s regulars will remain in camp with the organization. There are a few others that will play for their native countries in the World Baseball Classic this spring. Checking out a few of them in action during more meaningful games could give fans a glimpse of how ready they are for the regular season to start.

With Cleveland having made just minor upgrades in Josh Bell and Mike Zunino, their top spot is ripe for the picking. Andrew Benintendi is a nice get for Chicago, but expecting Mike Clevinger to contribute there any time soon isn’t a good bet. The division is again right there for the taking, and it starts this week.

View full article

At the end of the day they really haven't done much.  They've added little offense to a nine that scored less than 700 runs.  Keeping Correa was huge but unless he hits another gear they've added little.  Most fans are ecstatic that Sano is gone but the lack of a right handed bat to replace him was obvious last year and will continue to be so this year.  Very little in the way of bullpen additions.  Adding Lopez and (hopefully) getting Maeda & Mahle (the killer Ms?) back makes the rotation deeper but does little to add an ace at the top UNLESS someone has a breakthrough year.  Hard to see more than about 83 wins unless Buxton plays 140 games (with 95 plus of those being in the field) and / or Correa performs at 2021 level.

Since the beginning of last year ....

The rotation is better with the addition of Pablo Lopez and we have great depth with Ober / Varland / SWR / Winder.

The BP could be better to.  Jorge Lopez / Alcala could make it a little better or a lot better.  Those two need to be good.  

We are better at catcher.

Kirilloff / Larnach also have the potential to improve the team over last year.  I like the odds if they are healthy.

We also have Lewis / Julien and perhaps Martin for depth on the position side.  We won't be playing Cave and Contreras.

Could be 80 and could be 90 wins.

18 minutes ago, Major League Ready said:

Since the beginning of last year ....

The rotation is better with the addition of Pablo Lopez and we have great depth with Ober / Varland / SWR / Winder.

The BP could be better to.  Jorge Lopez / Alcala could make it a little better or a lot better.  Those two need to be good.  

We are better at catcher.

Kirilloff / Larnach also have the potential to improve the team over last year.  I like the odds if they are healthy.

We also have Lewis / Julien and perhaps Martin for depth on the position side.  We won't be playing Cave and Contreras.

Could be 80 and could be 90 wins.

Don't forget Mahle was added last year as well. This team could be a lot better. 

Health is the key for this team and there is a better than even chance that the team will be much better this summer simply because their best players are available more often. A few of the younger players should display the skills that have made their names familiar. I'm expecting the Twins to be improved at eight lineup spots and the depth is also better. The starting rotation and the bullpen should be better this summer as well. Finally, the front office has shown a willingness to improve the roster through trades, which may also be a possibility in July. Even if it is 85 wins, the team will be more interesting this season.

Two roads diverged after 2022: rebuild or reload. The challenge with a rebuild is that it requires patience and a long-term vision. The challenge with a reload is that the frontline talent a team needs to get over the hump can't often be signed in free agency or traded for.

I know I was calling for a rebuild, but ultimately I think I can respect that Falvey and Levine opted for reload. Perhaps most impressive to me is that they pulled off a trade that addressed reload needs and rebuild needs at the same time. 

But will it pay off? We'll see. The first injury will likely send some shivers through the clubhouse. The first blown save will resurrect the grim specter of 2022. It's going to take some very good managing to manage these bumps. I fear that in addressing the roster, the FO ignored the most glaring weakness with this team: the manager. But again, we'll see.

2 hours ago, tony&rodney said:

Even if it is 85 wins, the team will be more interesting this season.

I agree that the FO has made some fairly big bets to put together a team that should be able to compete in the weak AL Central.  The base of any success is more than likely going to be the performance of the starting rotation - more specifically, Mahle, Lopez, and Maeda.

This team as currently comprised is a one year wager on that rotation.  Next year, it’s very likely we see big turnover as a new young core comes in.

Where I disagree is on the more interesting part. I know I’m in the minority, but there is nothing “more interesting” about watching Gallo, Kepler, Taylor, Farmer, and even Polanco (oh how I hope Polanco has a huge year and I’m wrong about him). (As an aside, Vasquez is marginally “more interesting” than Sanchez, but hardly dial moving).  There’s nothing new to see in those players - we all know who they pretty much are - and what we have seen from them recently hasn’t been overly interesting. Any or all could essentially be looked at as “one year rentals” (or less) depending on how the season goes.

This team better win or this season could get really boring very quickly - only to be saved in the second half by the arrival of Lee, Lewis, Julien, Martin, Wallner, Varland, SWR, Winder, etc.  

Huzzah, a new year has begun and hope reigns eternal! (but not for some people at Twins Daily who prefer to look for the downsides) I'd much rather look at the possibilities for goodness in this squad, especially because it's far too late for any kind of drastic revision.

There are some exciting young players who will be getting their chance to show they can stick in MLB, prove they can stay healthy for a full season, etc. I'm looking forward to seeing Kirilloff and Larnach, and hope they can stay healthy. i think it's the only thing holding either of them back. I'm looking forward to seeing how Nick Gordon fits on this roster (a little super utility where he plays occasionally at 2B/3B/LF/RF?) and whether he can improve his hitting another notch, now that his health problems seem to be resolved. I can't wait to see how Miranda does locked in at a primary position and with a year of MLB under his belt. Did he get better in the off-season, or will there be a sophomore slump? Can Jeffers get right and be a real asset in the batters box and not just behind the plate?

I'm excited about our veterans in the field: Polanco is an all-star caliber player, Correa and Buxton are MVP talents, and Vazquez bring real steadiness behind the plate. (I'll admit to not being excited about Kepler, who I feel may have already peaked or Gallo who wasn't where I wanted them to go with an OF signing. but I'm rooting for them both!) Michael A. Taylor is a highlight reel waiting to happen in the OF.

It's the deepest rotation we've seen in a long time; I can't recall the last time I looked at a Twins roster and thought, "hey even if someone tweaks a hammy in Spring Training...we're good!" I'm a huge Joe Ryan fan: I love watching him pitch. he might not be the best starter on the roster (but then again he could be!), but for me he's the most fun to watch. I'm excited to see what Pablo Lopez brings to the table; he's got serious talent and had a great first half last season. It's great to have Kenta Maeda back. he was great during the pandemic-shortened year, so I'm hoping he's all the way back and ready to roll. We didn't really get to see what Mahle can do, and I wanna see it. Gray is steady as anyone.

the bullpen has lightning in it with Duran, who is crazy good. I adore Moran's change-up and how silly it makes guys look. Maybe I'm wrong about Pagan! (I want to be wrong about Pagan?) I think Lopez will be good now that he gets to settle in.

there's loads of things to be excited about with this team. I'm exciting about the start of the season and I can't wait to see how they do. yes, there are questions. yes, there are injury concerns. But none of them mean the worst case scenario has to happen. The best case scenario could happen too, and Spring Training is the time to look for the good and enjoy the fact that baseball is coming back to us and that right soon.

Go, Twins!

I watched Vasquez make a great throw from his knees in the playoff, catching a speedy runner at second. I thought "Man, why can't we have a catcher like that?". Now we do.

I wanted to upgrade our outfielders so we didn't have Cave and Contreras both playing frequently. We did- whatever you think about Gallo and Taylor, I'm pretty sure we all agree it's an upgrade there.

I wanted another good starting pitcher. We got one.

There are flaws. But this should be a good year, if we can avoid having 2/3 of the team getting hit by a bus.

38 minutes ago, Nashvilletwin said:

Where I disagree is on the more interesting part.

You have been a huge fan of Arraez, as have many across Twins land. The missing bat of Luis will need to be picked up by a combination of other guys. The loss of Arraez will be overcome by much better health. All of the Twins returning position bats can be expected to have better years in 2023. 2022 saw a raft of injuries that severely depleted their lineup, especially later in the season. I wanted all of the players who stepped in to succeed but players like Cave, Contreras, Celestino, Garlick, Beckam, Leon, Sano, Palacios, and Sanchez on the position side were put in tough spots. The depth and talent are favorable to better baseball all around: runs scored, defense, running, and situational play.

A lightning rod for many is Joey Gallo. I hate the three true outcomes style of baseball as much as anyone, but he just replaces Sano, and we can expect he will be better than the Miguel of last season.

1 hour ago, jmlease1 said:

Huzzah, a new year has begun and hope reigns eternal! (but not for some people at Twins Daily who prefer to look for the downsides) I'd much rather look at the possibilities for goodness in this squad, especially because it's far too late for any kind of drastic revision.

There are some exciting young players who will be getting their chance to show they can stick in MLB, prove they can stay healthy for a full season, etc. I'm looking forward to seeing Kirilloff and Larnach, and hope they can stay healthy. i think it's the only thing holding either of them back. I'm looking forward to seeing how Nick Gordon fits on this roster (a little super utility where he plays occasionally at 2B/3B/LF/RF?) and whether he can improve his hitting another notch, now that his health problems seem to be resolved. I can't wait to see how Miranda does locked in at a primary position and with a year of MLB under his belt. Did he get better in the off-season, or will there be a sophomore slump? Can Jeffers get right and be a real asset in the batters box and not just behind the plate?

I'm excited about our veterans in the field: Polanco is an all-star caliber player, Correa and Buxton are MVP talents, and Vazquez bring real steadiness behind the plate. (I'll admit to not being excited about Kepler, who I feel may have already peaked or Gallo who wasn't where I wanted them to go with an OF signing. but I'm rooting for them both!) Michael A. Taylor is a highlight reel waiting to happen in the OF.

It's the deepest rotation we've seen in a long time; I can't recall the last time I looked at a Twins roster and thought, "hey even if someone tweaks a hammy in Spring Training...we're good!" I'm a huge Joe Ryan fan: I love watching him pitch. he might not be the best starter on the roster (but then again he could be!), but for me he's the most fun to watch. I'm excited to see what Pablo Lopez brings to the table; he's got serious talent and had a great first half last season. It's great to have Kenta Maeda back. he was great during the pandemic-shortened year, so I'm hoping he's all the way back and ready to roll. We didn't really get to see what Mahle can do, and I wanna see it. Gray is steady as anyone.

the bullpen has lightning in it with Duran, who is crazy good. I adore Moran's change-up and how silly it makes guys look. Maybe I'm wrong about Pagan! (I want to be wrong about Pagan?) I think Lopez will be good now that he gets to settle in.

there's loads of things to be excited about with this team. I'm exciting about the start of the season and I can't wait to see how they do. yes, there are questions. yes, there are injury concerns. But none of them mean the worst case scenario has to happen. The best case scenario could happen too, and Spring Training is the time to look for the good and enjoy the fact that baseball is coming back to us and that right soon.

Go, Twins!

Thank you for this positive, yet realistic, look at the Twins for 2023. I feel the Twins, as constructed for 2023, are > Twins of 2022. (Vasquez>Sanchez; Taylor> any of the substitutes used in 2022 in CF and/or RF; Maeda> Bundy; PLopez> Archer; Gallo> Sano (based mainly on fielding, but partially on off field distraction possibilities), Bullpen collectively> than relievers in 2022, Miranda at 3B> than Urshela at 3B, Mahle> numerous AAAA starters used through 2022; Farmer> Palacios; 2023 Depth> 2022 depth. One question: who will be coaching 3B in 2023? 

One way or another, this is going to be a pivotal year.  a lot of questions need to be answered - can the team stay healthy? how good is the pitching depth? can young players emerge?  Depending on how those questions are answered, it will go a long way to deciding the immediate future of the franchise.  I'm not saying that Falvey and Levine's jobs are on the line, but at some point, we need to see some evidence that what they're doing is working and the team is on the right track.  And another "if" involves Joe Pohlad.  Is he really going to be more of a hands-on owner, and what does that mean going forward?  A lot to watch - assuming we can watch the games (this bankruptcy with Bally's and the other RSN's is going to be an ongoing story.)

10 minutes ago, short ornery norwegian said:

One way or another, this is going to be a pivotal year.  a lot of questions need to be answered - can the team stay healthy? how good is the pitching depth? can young players emerge?  Depending on how those questions are answered, it will go a long way to deciding the immediate future of the franchise.  I'm not saying that Falvey and Levine's jobs are on the line, but at some point, we need to see some evidence that what they're doing is working and the team is on the right track.  And another "if" involves Joe Pohlad.  Is he really going to be more of a hands-on owner, and what does that mean going forward?  A lot to watch - assuming we can watch the games (this bankruptcy with Bally's and the other RSN's is going to be an ongoing story.)

Welcome to TD!

Do they do any kind of observance at Target Field the day they load up the trucks and send them on their way to Florida?  Truck Day at Fenway is always a nice little get-together, low-key but fun for the dedicated fan looking for a way to welcome Spring in Beantown, and the team's marketing folks know their stuff and play along a little bit that morning each year.

I feel the excitement of others ...

But can the twins right the ship with Rocco as manager ...

He needs to change his style of managing and go with more gut feelings instead of his spread sheets , more stealing , hit and run now without the massive shifts , teach the hitters discipline batting and cut down strikeouts , ( as a player matures he should cut down his strikeouts , i dont see this happening  , no situational hitting)...

Was his manager of the year worthy in 2019 when the team had career years with the so called juiced ball , ( I say no because I didn't have anything to base his managing skills on ) , since then he has been mediocre  and then worse the past 2 seasons , take the talent and tap into that talent and make them better ( run , throw and catch ) ...

I know it sounds negative but these are things Rocco needs to change with the talent we have for winning baseball ...

Last year honestly was more than I expected. I don't count August/September since those were all 4th stringers after an insane streak of injuries.

The story to me is the improvements on defense. Taylor, Gallo, Farmer, Vasquez. There's a pattern and it's not just depth.

The question: Have they moved on from losing their pitching coach?

(And can they get a few situational hits?)

I like our rotation a lot.  its better then the 2010 rotation.  (we had a solid 5 starters that season).  our defense should be back to the standard TK version from what I am reading here with all the good defensive players we have here.   I like our depth.  we have lots of solutions to add in case of injuries.  i think the line up is ok.  but its way better then it would have been if Correa signed elsewhere.  I am not sure what to make of the Gallo signing in all honesty.  I guess i hope he hits like Sano.  35 HRs lots of Ks and walks.  I guess the real lineup improvement will hinge on Gallo's bounce back and AK development and return from injured wrist and how long Buxton can stay in the lineup this year.  Can he make it to 130 games with 90 in the OF and 40 at DH?  The bullpen is solid or more aptly average. There is potential there.  so do we have a greater then the some of all parts team or is it going to be another season where we spring a leak somewhere new every game?  that is why we watch to find out.