Twins Daily
  • Create Account

MLB's Competition Committee Makes Extra-Inning Runner Permanent, Limits Position Players Pitching

Matt Braun

Twins Daily Contributor

Yes, it has been a slow news month. But the competition committee gave us some rules to discuss. 

Image courtesy of Orlando Ramirez-USA TODAY Sports

In a season introducing a slate of impactful new laws - the pitch clock, limits on the shift, and tweaks to encourage base running - MLB couldn’t help but dive into more minor waters, breaking through with bends-induced plans.

The first: the extra-inning free runner on second base will continue in 2023 and beyond. Initially introduced in the truncated 2020 season, the runner - referred to as the Manfred Man, the zombie runner, the ghost runner, or whatever other snide label you prefer - the rule intended to halt the massive extra-inning slog fests. Gone are the days of 18-inning fever dreams. The next-day pitcher shuffling is now a relic. Postseason games will remain unaffected by the law.

With editorial restraint, the rule has proven effective. Mike Axisa of CBS Sports notes that “[w]ith the extra-innings tiebreaker rule, only seven games have gone as long as 13 innings the last three seasons. There were 37 13-inning games in 2019 alone, the last year with "normal" extra-inning rules.

The other announced change pertains to position players pitching. Once considered a fun white flag to wave in a blowout, MLB teams, as they so often do, bastardized its original meaning, instead using fielders to save their relievers from extra strain. Jesse Rogers of ESPN writes that “[i]n 2017, there were 32 instances of position players pitching in a game. Last season, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, that number jumped to 132.

The new rule only allows position players to pitch in these scenarios:

• Extra-innings
  • In the 9th inning, if the leading team is winning by 10 or more runs
  • In any inning, if the losing team is behind by eight or more runs

According to Eric Stephens, the new rule would have eliminated around 39 instances of a position player pitching in 2022. 

And now, the editorializing:

The extra-inning rule is an insult to baseball. As MLB continues down its path of restricting as much baseball to be played as possible, they concluded that, in fact, baseball is its own enemy and must be stopped. Games cannot breathe as intended. Close matches are frowned upon. The rules must closely watch over play, punishing the game for moving in its own way for the sake of appeasing teams treating roster spots like gold. MLB knows this; they use the original rules in the postseason because winning via the extra-inning runner is an unnatural phenomena.

The position player rule, however, is much needed. It was fun when Michael Cuddyer took the mound to toss a few meatballs in a blowout, but 132 moments of a position player on the mound is far too high. They’re calls for mercy; increasing the instances is sad. Although, removing the 39 times a position player pitched in 2022 still gives you 93 outings. Perhaps the problem is more that the good teams are crushing the bad teams at historical rates.

What do you think of these new or updated rules? How do you feel about the decision to keep the Manfred Man in extra innings during the regular season? How do you feel about position players pitching? Leave a COMMENT below. 

View full article

I want the electronic strike zone - true strikes, no framed strikes, but that does not seem to be considered. 

The new rules will be interesting, but I still want games to be no longer than 2 1/2 hours.  Do any of these lead to that?

I also want the SB back into the game and that might be possible now.

What is the Ohtani rule for position player and pitcher?  

There are more players who started as pitchers in college and high school  I would like to see those skills perfected. 

The extra inning rule is interesting and certainly changes the game a lot.  But then games always change - LeBron James just took the all time points record in an era when 3 Point baskets are prevalent - he made 2237 3 point baskets, Kareem had one.  If we worry about change that James is still 2236 points behind Kareem.  Baseball accepts the distorted HR records that have happened since 1986 even if we do not accept the players.  Thus we just keep moving along and the same will be true of the ghost runner. 

The shift rule is more egregious - it just recognizes that players are not willing to learn how to adjust their batting.

Looking at baseball long run - as we try to compare stats the mound has been moved back and the mound has been lowered, balls have been juiced, Black players were not part of early baseball until Jackie Robinson, ball parks have been adjusted to shorter, longer, higher fences, and players have benefitted from better conditioning and diets.  Change is everywhere. 

So we play on and I am looking forward to the new season no matter what the new rules are. 

Reducing the position players is a win in my opinion, would be more efficient to just let the other team forfeit and just not play the last two innings but that will never happen. Like most not a big fan of the implementation the free runner, I think most suggestions I've heard would be better in my opinion such as having them at 1st to allow a DP as an option. Or only having the runner after 12 innings. But at the end of the day their goal is purely end the game as quickly as possible post nine innings, and short of having a home run derby situation like the shoot out in hockey I don't know how you get the MLB on board with anything other than this or allowing ties. 

I might be in the minority but I don't mind the runner on 2nd rule.  Technically if they want to speed things up it should probably be the runner on 1st and 2nd rule as most teams walk the next batter to have force outs in play.  There are lot's of ways they could do it but I am fine with the rule that helps bullpens stay intact. 

I mean if they really wanted to not go past 9 innings they could just give the team with the most hits the victory.  That would promote more batters that can just get hits versus the occasional HR.  If hits are tied go to the team with the most walks wins it. .That gives walks more value as well.  Don't like walks then the team with the fewest K's wins it to promote less striking out. Anyway for the regular season to stop games from going long I am fine with the man on second rule.

I also think putting some limit on position players pitching isn't a horrible thing.  Don't want to promote using it as a strategy IMO.  Rules change in sports all the time and generally they make the game better.

33 minutes ago, Dman said:

I might be in the minority but I don't mind the runner on 2nd rule.  Technically if they want to speed things up it should probably be the runner on 1st and 2nd rule as most teams walk the next batter to have force outs in play.  There are lot's of ways they could do it but I am fine with the rule that helps bullpens stay intact. 

I mean if they really wanted to not go past 9 innings they could just give the team with the most hits the victory.  That would promote more batters that can just get hits versus the occasional HR.  If hits are tied go to the team with the most walks wins it. .That gives walks more value as well.  Don't like walks then the team with the fewest K's wins it to promote less striking out. Anyway for the regular season to stop games from going long I am fine with the man on second rule.

I also think putting some limit on position players pitching isn't a horrible thing.  Don't want to promote using it as a strategy IMO.  Rules change in sports all the time and generally they make the game better.

i think the "ghost runner" rule is a reasonable attempt to try and keep games from going on and on and on...and if they do, to increase the odds of there being some action in them. As a game, the lack of a clock on the competition is a blessing and a curse, because it adds a level of timelessness and means teams are only playing against the other side, not against the clock. but it also means it's the slowest of all the major sports. With pro soccer you're in and out in about 2 hours whereas baseball often runs you 3+. Looking for ways to keep games at 10 innings or less isn't a bad idea, especially since with this rule it still follows the core tenet of baseball that to win the game you have to face down the other team. I thought I was going to hate it and it turns out it didn't really bother me much at all.

Position players coming out and throwing 48 mph curveballs and knucklers and so on is fun once and a while, but it's happening way too much. It gets to be a mockery, and frankly it slows the game down there too.

I'm not opposed to a pitch clock, because I'm bored with guys meditating on the mound. I'm equally sick of hitters who want to step out and adjust equipment on every pitch. Stop dithering and play! fewer pitching changes would help, but pitchers that just move a game along will help at least as much if not more. Getting through a game in 2:25 is wonderful! More Mark Buehrles, please.

The ghost runner sucks. I hate it. It makes for completely worthlessly disappointing finishes to otherwise close exciting games. Might as well end in a coin toss. 

Why is the position player pitching occasionally a problem that needs fixing? Who cares? 

To make baseball more watchable or relevant in the modern era, instead of focusing on ridiculous fixes to problems that don't really exist they could instead focus on making it possible for people who aren't wealthy to watch baseball games on TV (or even in person at the stadium). 

We are slowly degenerating to a future where baseball is just a series of random number generated outcomes constantly updated and augmented by the averages and standard deviations of fictitious player-avatars whose profiles are also randomly generated. What's even more pathetic is that I'll still watch and keep track of my bot-baseball team every day and get pissed when they lose. 

The modern day average sports fan is into scoring. Instant gratification. Look at pro basketball, the basket's been at 10' since the average height of a player was around 6'. Now a 6' 8" player is called "Shorty", yet the basket is still at 10'. Why? More dunks, more scoring and traveling is something you do in the off-season. Pretty soon game scores will be up around 200 points and BB fans will be wetting their pants with excitement.

Pro Football; old enough to remember when the Vikings with the Purple People Eaters and Fred Cox won games without scoring a touchdown? Boring! Now defensive backs can't even look at a receiver without drawing a penalty and footballs are flying through the air like artillery shells on the Eastern Front. Why? Higher scores.

A 2-1 baseball game? Boring! The weak-minded need more excitement. So, juice the balls so they fly out of the park. Defensive skill? Counter-intuitive. Ability to hit home runs? Atta boy! The longer, the higher, the greater exit-velocity the better!

Okay, go with the flow. Drop the Manfred Man and instead have each team send their top three homerun hitters up to the plate, set-up a pitching machine on the mound, set it at "meatball" speed and run a home-run derby. The team with the longest home run wins. I can hear the "oohs" and "aahs" already. Name it after me; "The Dirty Dastard". Has a certain ring to it... ring to it... WWE?

With the ghost runner rule, how many times does the visiting team intentionally walk the home leadoff hitter in the bottom of an extra inning to set up force plays if the score is still tied? If MLB wants to speed up the game, they should just put that guy at first, too.

Sorry guys, but I am a fan of the ghost runner.

Long extra inning games have ramifications for weeks.  I also like the strategy involved here (since they have systematically removed most other strategy points from the game).

People barked at hockey when they went to 4v4 in overtime and finally the shootout.  Football has changed their OT rules a handful of times in the last 15 years.  I don't think it is as big an issue as some people make it out to be.

1 hour ago, Teflon said:

With the ghost runner rule, how many times does the visiting team intentionally walk the home leadoff hitter in the bottom of an extra inning to set up force plays if the score is still tied? If MLB wants to speed up the game, they should just put that guy at first, too.

I don't like the Manfred Man rule but I agree with your thinking. Following that logic, they should load the bases. If the goal is to make it easier for the teams to score runs then don't be half-assed about it.

It's not the baseball tradition, but there's nothing wrong with ties. I hate the American tradition (which has now spread to American football and hockey) that there must be a winner and a loser in every game.

USSF even had American pro leagues doing tie-breaker shootouts for regular-season games a couple of decades ago until FIFA overruled them saying (correctly) that it was contrary to the uniform, international Laws of the Game.

The ballplayers and owners like it, they say. It is just lazy. Get paid millions and you can't get it up to finish the game. 

You know it isn't real MLB baseball when they don't do it in the post season. Get doctored results all season and then when it really matters, don't play fake baseball, but go back to the way it should be,

Just lazy.

Most recent make-up of the committee I can find is dated September 9, 2022. Merrifield is no longer on KC, so that at least needs updated. (For the players, Glasnow (TJ recovery) and Flaherty were either barely on the field or most of the season, and Slater has never had more than 325 PAs in a season (2022) and has a total of 1279 in 6 years, for an average of 213/year. Not that the unanimous vote mattered, as the 6 from the ownership can out vote the other 5 anyway. I think we need a roll call of all the players to see if they really want the zombie runner rule. Only 4 players making the decision leaves a lot unknown.

Competition Committee Members
The Competition Committee is composed of eleven members: six representatives from the Clubs; four MLBPA Player Reps; and one umpire. 

MLB Committee Members: John Stanton (SEA, Chair); Bill DeWitt, Jr. (STL); Greg Johnson (SF); Dick Monfort (COL); Tom Werner (BOS); Mark Shapiro (TOR)

Player Committee Members: Jack Flaherty (STL); Tyler Glasnow (TB); Whit Merrifield (KC); Austin Slater (SF) 
              Ian Happ (CHC) and Walker Buehler (LAD) will serve as Alternate Committee Members. 

Umpire Committee Member: Bill Miller 

https://www.mlbplayers.com/player-competition-committee

2 hours ago, Nine of twelve said:

I don't like the Manfred Man rule but I agree with your thinking. Following that logic, they should load the bases. If the goal is to make it easier for the teams to score runs then don't be half-assed about it.

Clearly they were blinded by the light.

Now MLB is going to enforce the balk rule. That is going to make base stealers even more important. The Twins may not be ready for more base stealing this year but some of their guys in the minors have some speed (Martin, Lewis, even Julien and Wallner), so maybe next year. Unlike many others, I do believe Rocco will have runners steal more bases if they can actually steal, and not risk injury doing it (Buxton).

"I want the electronic strike zone - true strikes, no framed strikes, but that does not seem to be considered."

Absolutely agree with Mikelink!  If I was an umpire and the catcher in front of me was purposely trying to "fool" me by "framing" the pitch, I would purposely try to screw that catcher over!  Of course I would get kicked out of umpiring.....but "QUIT trying to fool me".......would be my attitude!!

I do not understand how you can be against the extra inning rule, but for the position player pitching rule.  Personally, I am all for the extra inning rule for regular season.  Just like hockey, where we do not want ties, but also do not want endless regular season games, MLB used a softball rule to help games end faster.  Both teams get the same chances, just increases the chance of runs being scored.  This saves bullpen arms from having to pitch so much more and saving a team from maybe having to use a starter messing up the whole rotation, requiring guys being optioned for a fresh arm to come up.  Also, it allows for fans to not stay up for hours in an extra inning game.  You get to see more action and an end to the game.

I get it is not what baseball was for long time, but the game has changed over years, and all sports change over years for various reasons, but the number one is entertainment.  Personally, I am more entertained by the extra inning rule.  

In terms of position players pitching I really do not care if they come in at any score.  I am not sure why MLB really cares, but the purpose is to save pen arms, so to require them to be out there in closer games makes it kind of odd.  I have no real position on that rule.