Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Can Either Miguel Sano or Kennys Vargas Get Back to the Bigs?

3 hours ago, JD-TWINS said:

Gallo v. Sano ……this comparison, along with your redundancy comments about our LH batting OF, surely suggests we could get along just fine without either one of these two guys!!!

Just because Sano’s offensive numbers are. better than Gallo’s doesn’t mean that we should sign Miguel.

Agreed. I was just making a comparison. I'm not pushing for the Twins to sign Sano. 

12 hours ago, SwainZag said:

No Twin besides Pagan fell into Twins fan purgatory quicker or more often than Miguel Sano.  I'm not sure if it was the lofty expectations of him being compared to Miggy in his early years or down to the straight disgust of management putting him in the OF for 30 games 7 years ago, but fans love to rag on Sano.

Just 2 years ago he hit 30 HR, which was more than anyone hit in 2022 and his .778 OPS would have only trailed Buck, Correa and Arraez.  He had a BAD 2022, it's true, but he was injured for most of the year and only got 70 PA.  

He does K too much, but he deserves a shot somewhere and I hope he gets it.  It would obviously be great for Kennys as well, he was also a favorite.

The whole episode of him (alledgedly) pinning the reliable female reporter against the hallway wall didn't help, especially with the other reporters/bloogers that knew her.

Gallo is useful because we don't have many proven OF right now and he's pretty good with a glove and plays every day. And even in his worst year he produced a 79 OPS+, which is bad but better than the replacements we trotted out before he got here. 

Sano is a DH and poor 1B, can't stay healthy, and mostly only hits in streaks so he's not very suited for a PH role. He needs to play a lot so there are enough ABs to hold a few hot streaks, but then you have Gallo without the D in the lineup every day. Blergh.

If Sano were sent to the Saints, then he could get some good press and generate fan support that would follow him back to Target Field if he makes a comeback. If not sent up then the Saints fans would have a slugger to root for. Even if Sano made it back to Target Field,, that wouldn't mean that he couldn't play at the same time as Gallo. Sano would only need to prove that he can make quality at bats & get some hits. Maybe Sano could hit better than Palacios when he came up too. Sano's power depth is insurance as long as his price is right.

Admittedly, I’m an optimist about baseball when it comes round to February - in contrast to what I often see as pessimism and angst and anticipation of disappointment in comments on this site. Plenty of time for those emotions when the season’s well underway!

As this applies to the Gallo - Sano comparisons, where Sano is claimed to be as good or better a player - please call to mind Miguel’s boneheaded base running and iffy defense. Joey is by all accounts a savvy and opportunistic runner, an excellent defender, and in general not someone I’m prepared to bemoan and dismiss before he’s played a single game for the home team.

1 hour ago, Melissa said:

Admittedly, I’m an optimist about baseball when it comes round to February - in contrast to what I often see as pessimism and angst and anticipation of disappointment in comments on this site. Plenty of time for those emotions when the season’s well underway!

As this applies to the Gallo - Sano comparisons, where Sano is claimed to be as good or better a player - please call to mind Miguel’s boneheaded base running and iffy defense. Joey is by all accounts a savvy and opportunistic runner, an excellent defender, and in general not someone I’m prepared to bemoan and dismiss before he’s played a single game for the home team.

This makes perfect sense. I applaud this sentiment. 

It makes no sense to ruin your off-season prematurely. 

In the case of Gallo, I could use a big dose of what you are saying because you are absolutely right. 

My premature concern remains this: Will Falvey, Lavine and Baldelli pivot off of Gallo or anyone who they believe will be a performer who is not performing. If Gallo is the same guy as last year, will he still walk past the lineup card without having to check it because he is is going to be in the lineup despite his performance?

I don't mind them spending 11M on a player. I don't have to agree or disagree with that acquisition. If Gallo is the guy they want, that's good enough for me. I don't mind them making a mistake with that 11M if that is what happens. What I will mind is the doubling down on that mistake.... if that is what happens. 

It's one thing to blow 11M on a player... it's survivable if you react to that poor performance by limiting opportunity to perform poorly.

It's another thing to blow 11M on a player and allowing that player to take you down every day with seemingly unlimited opportunity to perform poorly. 

I wish I could say that they wouldn't do that but... they have done it enough times that it has created a preemptive nervousness with me when all I want is get a chance. 

Yes... I'm a complicated conflicted type guy. 

Sano got chance after chance. Vargas did not get chance after chance. Let's see how Gallo is deployed in 2023. 

19 hours ago, Riverbrian said:

This makes perfect sense. I applaud this sentiment. 

It makes no sense to ruin your off-season prematurely. 

In the case of Gallo, I could use a big dose of what you are saying because you are absolutely right. 

My premature concern remains this: Will Falvey, Lavine and Baldelli pivot off of Gallo or anyone who they believe will be a performer who is not performing. If Gallo is the same guy as last year, will he still walk past the lineup card without having to check it because he is is going to be in the lineup despite his performance?

I don't mind them spending 11M on a player. I don't have to agree or disagree with that acquisition. If Gallo is the guy they want, that's good enough for me. I don't mind them making a mistake with that 11M if that is what happens. What I will mind is the doubling down on that mistake.... if that is what happens. 

It's one thing to blow 11M on a player... it's survivable if you react to that poor performance by limiting opportunity to perform poorly.

It's another thing to blow 11M on a player and allowing that player to take you down every day with seemingly unlimited opportunity to perform poorly. 

I wish I could say that they wouldn't do that but... they have done it enough times that it has created a preemptive nervousness with me when all I want is get a chance. 

Yes... I'm a complicated conflicted type guy. 

Sano got chance after chance. Vargas did not get chance after chance. Let's see how Gallo is deployed in 2023. 

This is a very fair point based on recent years, when I think we can all think of way too many instances of the team sticking with players who are flailing or clearly have run out their string. Why else does the name Pagán still make my blood pressure shoot up so high!

I’ve seen the question posed here and elsewhere whether it’s Rocco or the front office that have this frustrating tendency to give people so long a hang rope …