Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Twins Trade Luis Arraez for Marlins' Pitcher Pablo López

I like it     To get good pitching you need to give up something good in return.  Unless you think the Twins should start handing out 35-45 million a year contracts to free agent pitchers.   Miami was a good partner to trade with....Twins  need arms badly and Miami  needs hitters.     The prospects to me put this trade in our favor , but they may flame out just as easily. Time will tell......those Miami players now come to a team that can make the playoffs easier than the Marlins probably can.  Lopez's stats should improve in a weak central division compared to the AL East.   I had hoped Carbrera or Luzardo but Lopez is as good as anything we have and better than most. Injuries on both center peices of the trade may be issues also.   Araez could sure make contact , but that was his only skill.   No position to speak of....serviceable 1b and terrible 3rd and bad 2nd! slower than a plow horse didn't help either.   

I'm fine with the deal. The overall value seems pretty solid and I think the Twins were overstocked on the infield with Kirilloff, Polanco, Correa, Miranda, Arraez, Gordon, and Farmer (plus Lewis, Lee, Austin and Julien potentially to being ready at some point this season).

The Twins have built some pretty good starting pitching depth for upcoming season. The team is still lacking a true #1 starter, but I'd rate the Twins #2-10 starters as being as good a group as there is in the Majors.

I think the Twins were smart to deal Arraez prior to the shift being implemented. I think his bat-to-balls skills won't quite out-pace the league like they did last year.  Likewise, a guy like Kepler could see his bat really improve due to the shift being banned, and he could increase his value as an asset in season.

I love Arraez but I thought the Twins would have to give up more than Arraez to make this deal because of his limited power, limited versatility and injury history. Getting a top five prospect and another young prospect from Miami made this deal even better. And they still haven’t traded Julien, Lee, and Lewis. 

Four thoughts.  First, trading Arraez hurts emotionally for me and many, but he is also an on base machine.  We now have lost Arraez and Urshela who were two of our best OBP players last year.  Hopefully, Gallo or one of the young guys steps up this year.  Second, it does appear that the FO is trying to make us more athletic in adding the two youngsters.  That is a good thing as Miranda, Larnach, Wallner, and Kirilloff are not really "athletic."  Third, I would have preferred one of the other guys with more control and upside, but I suspect the asking price was rich.  We need to get our pitching pipeline going as trading for pitchers is way too costly.  Finally, I think more is coming.

This one hurts, but Gray is 32 and will probably want more years/money than the Twins feel comfortable with.  Mahle had shoulder issues last year and will be at least midseason before Twins feel like possibly offering an extension and Maeda is 34 and Twins should see what he wants, and if doesn't work he walks at the end of the season.  Ryan to me is a #4 starter with some upside.  So where is your ongoing pitching coming from?  Some of the prospects will probably make it, but asking 3 of them for next year seems like a lot.

Julien will be here, and had no open spot. So they made one.  Now the question is what do the Twins do with Polonco? (Kepler is good as gone).  

5 minutes ago, yellan said:

Question: why did the Twins shop Arraez rather than Polanco?  I feel like Arraez' skill set is much rarer, and more likely to age well.  Is this simply a case of selling high?

one part selling high, one part Polanco being a more valuable player since he's a more effective 2B and can hit for power.

1 hour ago, rwilfong86 said:

Yep this is a loss. An average pitcher for the batting champion and fan favorite. At least I didn't get an Arraez jersey yet. Oh well. 

But honestly you had 3 years to do so.  Sounds like our FO said yes let's trade him you now since you were right about to buy a jersey

Let's see, two pitchers named Lopez now on the staff.

You do realize what this is going to do to Gladden on the radio cast, don't you?

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=abbott+costello+who's+on+first&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:3fb10c5a,vid:2ZksQd2fC6Y

A&C.jpeg

Anytime I see a trade like this, I am reminded of the mindset of selling stocks.  If I dump 100 shares of Apple, someone is buying them.  I sell because I think they are going down, the buyer thinks they are going up.  

Some here think Arraez peaked last year.  I don't, and obviously, the Marlins don't, or they wouldn't have traded for him.   He's 25, and I have no reason to think that he won't do even better at the plate in the next 10 years than he did this year.  

BUT...I realize the Twins front office has to evaluate what his upside is as opposed to what they get for him, and *I* am not bothered by the $$$ that are in play.  

Still, all that said, I agree with the lady in THE PRINCESS BRIDE: 

Boo This Man GIF