Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Twins Trade Luis Arraez for Marlins' Pitcher Pablo López

The Minnesota Twins have been engaged in discussions for Miami Marlins starting pitcher Pablo López since at least December. Today that became a reality when they flipped 2022 American League batting champion Luis Arraez to South Beach, per Jeff Passan. In addition, the Twins also received two Marlins prospects in the deal, including one in their top five.

Image courtesy of © David Banks-USA TODAY Sports

Last season for the Marlins, Pablo López posted a 3.75 ERA along with a 3.71 FIP. He’s jumped his strikeouts over one per inning in the past three seasons and continues to develop as a pitcher. His changeup is noteworthy, and his velocity sits in the mid-90s. Having debuted as a 22-year-old in 2018, he’s just entering his age-27 season.

Minnesota has seemingly been in a never-ending quest for quality starting pitching. After acquiring Cincinnati Reds starters Sonny Gray and Tyler Mahle last year, the rotation as a whole grew stronger at the top. While Joe Ryan did start on Opening Day, he projects to slot in as a more middle-to-back-end type of arm. The Twins also will return veteran Kenta Maeda this season, and they have depth in the form of Bailey Ober, Josh Winder, and Simeon Woods Richardson.

The goal for Derek Falvey this offseason was to acquire a talent that met the Gray-threshold. Ideally,

Rocco Baldelli needs another arm that can pitch in a short playoff series and be trusted to get the job done. While it may be debatable how close they truly are, López can certainly be that guy.

Like the Twins did at the deadline, their goal in acquiring arms has been to avoid rentals. They would like to have time to work with pitchers and unlock whatever ceiling is seen for each individual. López is under two more years of team control via arbitration and is projected to make just over $5 million this year per MLB Trade Rumors.

A pitcher at that level, and with that amount of team control, isn’t going to come without a significant cost. That’s where 2022 American League Batting champion Luis Arraez enters the picture. He is a talented player that is truly beloved in the clubhouse and the fanbase. When unveiling their new uniforms back in November, Minnesota opted to have him on stage, and his smile was beaming. Arraez has only known the Twins organization throughout his professional career.

Minnesota fans know they are giving up a guy that doesn’t strike out, gets on base, and consistently hits for a high average. However, Derek Falvey is also likely conscious of Arraez’s deficiencies. Arraez has balky knees that have kept him from finishing seasons in recent years and is limited defensively, starting 94 games at first base and designated hitter last year. He has definitely done an admirable job shoring up first base when Baldelli needed him this year, but that position could be ticketed for Alex Kirilloff , among others, in 2023.

In the deal, Minnesota also gets Jose Salas from Miami, per Craig Mish. An infield prospect currently ranked 5th in the Marlins pipeline, he is a 19-year-old that spent 2022 playing at Single-A. With a .722 OPS across 109 games, Salas flashed some power blasting nine home runs. Baseball America’s profile of him this year concluded that “No matter where he winds up on the diamond, his offensive skills will make him a valuable player.” So the Twins add more young talent to their up-the-middle prospects on the farm.

The final piece of the deal going to Minnesota is 17-year-old outfield prospect Byron Chourio , per Mark Feinsand. He made his professional debut in the Dominican Summer League last season playing 51 games. The .838 OPS was impressive, and largely backed by his nine doubles. There is some speed there as well considering he swiped 19 bases.

There’s no denying that Minnesota is getting a very good arm back in this deal, but López will have the weight of the world on his shoulders each time he goes out, knowing a fan favorite and clubhouse good guy was his price.

View full article

Don't like it. Why couldn't they pry Lopez and/or one of their other pitchers. I feel like they wasted one of our better chips here for more mediocre pitching and middle infield logjam help. Who knows what else it would have taken, but I think the chance here was a add top of the rotation help, and they didn't.

Luzardo, Cabrera or one of their better pitching prospects. Dang!

The first month or two of the season will be big for Lopez and the FO, sending Arraez out for someone who doesn't immediately perform and at a high level can turn a fan base pretty quick. I doubt they could have gotten a better pitcher for what the had available on the roster but this seems like a move that saves the FO or the last straw among a lot of fans. Wish the guy luck and can't blame the FO for the move but will definitely add some intrigue early especially if Arraez starts hot like last year.

1 minute ago, dex8425 said:

Well, Kiriloff's wrist better not turn to jelly again this year or this deal might not improve the 2023 club. 

Trading your best hitter for a mild upgrade to your rotation doesn't improve the 2023 club no matter what. We have no set DH and Larnach and Gallo are not locks to be healthy or effective. A healthy Kiriloff would have gotten full playing time Arreaz or no Arreaz. But I'm sure the A ball prospects we got will be exciting for whoever is running the team in 2028 after Falvey is long gone (hopefully.)

Today is the saddest day I can recall as a Twins fan.  Right up there with that spring training day I went to Hammond Field and heard that Kirby Puckett had been scratched from that day's lineup.  Sad.  Sad.  Sad.

Yes, I will still be a Twins fan.  But the excitement of following this team just went down the crapper.  When will people realize that someone who just flat out gets on base has as much value as anyone in the game.  

Don't know much about Lopez, although I am not thrilled that he has only two years before free agency.  Know nothing about the kid coming along, but don't we already have too bloody many shortstops?  Hopefully, the PTBNL is a young version of Willie Mays.  Did I already say I have a tear in my eyes as I write this comment?

I mean, on one hand Luis Arraez is a limited defensively, questionable knee's, and nil power in a position you need it (assuming he primarily plays 1B and DH).

You also acquire a #2-3 rotation player, a top 100 prospect, and a lottery ticket while only giving up the aforementioned Arraez.

On the other hand Arraez is a fan favorite and LUIS ARRAEZ.

I think in the long run this is a great trade for the Twins, but its gonna hurt for a bit.

2 minutes ago, howeda7 said:

Trading your best hitter for a mild upgrade to your rotation doesn't improve the 2023 club no matter what. We have no set DH and Larnach and Gallo are not locks to be healthy or effective. A healthy Kiriloff would have gotten full playing time Arreaz or no Arreaz. But I'm sure the A ball prospects we got will be exciting for whoever is running the team in 2028 after Falvey is long gone (hopefully.)

They'll be fine.

Can't say I'm thrilled. I don't think I trust our FO when it comes to trading for pitchers. I hope it works out. Seems to me, we could've gotten more in return from them with adding some additional pieces. Maybe one of the other starters? Anyway, I'll miss Arraez, he was a lot of fun to watch. I wouldn't be surprised if 10 years down the road, he's got a handful of batting titles. I know that's not a particularly valued stat any more, but he's a very good hitter and the power numbers will get better too.  Best of luck to him. 

5 minutes ago, roger said:

Today is the saddest day I can recall as a Twins fan.  Right up there with that spring training day I went to Hammond Field and heard that Kirby Puckett had been scratched from that day's lineup.  Sad.  Sad.  Sad.

Yes, I will still be a Twins fan.  But the excitement of following this team just went down the crapper.  When will people realize that someone who just flat out gets on base has as much value as anyone in the game.  

Don't know much about Lopez, although I am not thrilled that he has only two years before free agency.  Know nothing about the kid coming along, but don't we already have too bloody many shortstops?  Hopefully, the PTBNL is a young version of Willie Mays.  Did I already say I have a tear in my eyes as I write this comment?

I will say that I remember Roger arguing on Twinkietown years ago that Arraez was a top prospect while most of us had him off the top 30 because he was so small. Roger kept saying, "look at what he's doing." I'm glad you were right. I'm ok with the trade but can feel your hurt.

That is a substantial return for Arraez. Did I want him traded? No not really. But the FO got way more then I thought they would. Now get to work on some extensions with these pitchers we picked up in the last 12 month..Extend one or two and all these trades look way better!

5 minutes ago, CRF said:

Can't say I'm thrilled. I don't think I trust our FO when it comes to trading for pitchers. I hope it works out. Seems to me, we could've gotten more in return from them with adding some additional pieces. Maybe one of the other starters? Anyway, I'll miss Arraez, he was a lot of fun to watch. I wouldn't be surprised if 10 years down the road, he's got a handful of batting titles. I know that's not a particularly valued stat any more, but he's a very good hitter and the power numbers will get better too.  Best of luck to him. 

What makes you think the power numbers will go up? The way he swings I don't see it...

I know Trade values disagrees but I think this is a great deal for Miami.  They don't need Lopez and the Salaries offset and it will be an easy sell to their fanbase that they went out and traded for the American league batting champ.  I don't think this could have worked out much better for Miami.

I tend to agree with NicksaViking in that getting just two years of a decent pitcher every time they trade seems most likely to be a losing proposition.  Still The Twins found value in this trade as they got a solid pitcher and a good Shortstop prospect to boot. The Twins kind of needed this trade as well for injury protection for Gray, Maeda and Mahle.  Also because they have Lewis, Jullien and Lee on the doorstep so hopefully hitters that can pick up some slack.  

If I am on the Minnesota side it seems like an OK deal if I am the Marlins today was a great day.

I'm ok with the trade, I like the throw in players - both seem like solid lottery tickets - and I've never been that high on Arraez. I think we did a nice job of trading him at his peak value. 

But the FO also has to be right on this one. Not another Dyson or Mahle injury thing. Lopez better make 45+ starts the next two years. And he better be good. 

Clearly Salas is the key for the Twins to win this trade.  If he comes up and is a solid SS or other position player and produces 3 WAR a season and Lopez can be good in the playoffs then the Twins win this trade.  

Its not just losing a high on base average player.  But someone who also is loved by the fan base and bridges the gap to yesteryear when Carew was winning batting titles.  

We should win this trade based on talent received but its hard to keep interest up when fan favorites are traded.  The Rays are not a fun overall team to follow cause of this and they win alot.