Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Rumor: A new team is talking with Boras about Correa…

Could the Minnesota Twins wind up with Correa after all? The Giants deal fell through, then the Mets deal was agreed to weeks ago, but hasn’t been finalized due to medical concerns. And now today is a Jon Heyman report that “Boras engaged at least one other team regarding Correa this afternoon.”

The Twins are mentioned in the report as having tried to reengage, and as an obvious landing spot, having employed Correa (healthy) last year, and having a vacancy and payroll space to accommodate him.

The likelihood of Correa coming back to the Twins has to have crept up. Maybe 25%?

View full rumor

If the Twins ended up with Correa I would have a lot of crow to eat.  I still think the Mets get it done.  Borras likely leveraging the Mets using the Twins offer as the bottom.  If the Mets don't match then onto the Twins I would guess.  The Lowest they can go is the Minnesota offer if you ask me.  If the Mets don't match the Twins offer then I have to believe the Twins will get another chance. This has to be one of the craziest things to happen in Free Agency ever.

As a New York commentator said last week, Boras has every incentive to build up a good relationship with Mets owner Steve Cohen, given that he is now the MLB owner most willing to throw money around to Boras’s clients.  The failure to cinch the Correa deal is indeed an odd one.  

WHY?

Astros seemed to be OK without CC. Pitching should be our emphasis! Plenty of relievers to sign to strengthen BP!!

Why were Astros not stressed about letting CC go? Capable rookie replacement behind him…………..LEWIS - LEE are trailing Farmer later this year or ‘24 for sure. 

Continue to try & focus on Pitching depth & talent.

Why CC & not pitching?

37 minutes ago, dxpavelka said:

Offer 10 years $294 Million.

No reason for them to do so at this point. The Twins can offer another short term high AAV contract and likely get him. What a weird sequence of events this offseason for Correa. 

27 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

No reason for them to do so at this point. The Twins can offer another short term high AAV contract and likely get him. What a weird sequence of events this offseason for Correa. 

Eh I'm not so sure about this. If Correa is willing to sign a short term high AAV contract, I'm sure the Mets would be all over that. 

IF the Twins were to still acquire him after all this, it will probably be because the Mets are offering him a short term high AAV and the Twins are still willing to commit long term. 

54 minutes ago, Aaron Weiland said:

Eh I'm not so sure about this. If Correa is willing to sign a short term high AAV contract, I'm sure the Mets would be all over that. 

IF the Twins were to still acquire him after all this, it will probably be because the Mets are offering him a short term high AAV and the Twins are still willing to commit long term. 

I disagree, for the man with all the money he needed a 12 year deal to sign him, why to lower the AAV and reduce the tax burden.  With the additional tax what is potentially 7-8 million more for a year for a shorter contract, is 14 to 15 mil with the luxury tax for the Mets.  

31 minutes ago, Eris said:

The Correa saga is interesting. For 2 years in a row teams have thrown big money at many free agents and Correa has missed out (or is close to missing out ). I wonder why this is. 

There is something really off/weird about him being the odd man out for two off seasons in a row. It could be the pricetag the years, the timing of deals being struck or all three. By all accounts the Twins really liked what he brought to the table as a player so if he is truly back on the market and the Twins are interested it might be worthwhile to roll the dice for a high AAV but shorter commitment (say 5 years?). 

I would not believe any BS Boras is peddling.  Guy is just trying to pressure the Mets by coyly dangling other teams "alleged" interest in Correa.  

People are right it is very interesting that for a second year now there is no mad scramble to sign him and the two teams closest to completing a  deal immediately  backed out after looking under the hood.

Do not offer any crazy long term deal

1 hour ago, Vanimal46 said:

And go thru the same thing next year?

This a last ditch effort by Boras to squeeze as much as he can out of the deal. I don't trust any thing coming from Heyman concerning Boras. Mets are his best shot, Correa's ego might get the best of him again.

IMO the problem hasn't been Cohen, but his doctors & insurance co. If they don't give the OK then it's stupid to go against their recommendations & limits.

Do the Twins have a shot at Correa? IMO they do, only as a safety net. Correa also figured that since the Twins have bought a bunch of damage goods in the past they might go long term w/o clauses.

Oh p-ah leese get over this Correa infatuation.  Move on from it.  Maybe I'm the only one but at this point I think it would be a huge mistake to re engage and maybe resign Correa.  Yes we need a shortstop.  But what good is it to tie up so much payroll on one person when there are so many other needs on the team.  A less than mediocre team result with a high priced shortstop does not make any sense.

I did not recall that Boras represented Martinez when he signed his 5 year deal with Boston back in 2018 that had a clause that covered Martinez's foot.  So Boras has negotiated a deal with an "injury clause" of some type previously.

Now for some deeper speculation:  the fact that Boras, Correa and the Mets have been working over 2 weeks trying to hammer out a mega deal with some type of injury clause--and so far have failed to do so--might suggest that there really is a problem with Correa's ankle.  He knows it, Boras knows it, and now the MD's know it.  So that creates a very interesting problem for Boras and his client as they try to get the biggest haul in the biggest market, but still protect themselves and their interests.

Food for thought.

I do not believe anything Boras has to say.  He floats out things all the time over and over.  J.D. Martinez contract with Boston years ago he kept saying other teams had interest, in hopes of getting better offer.  All media was saying no team has any interest close to what Boston was offering.  Yes, teams will have interest in CC, it may be the Twins, but unlike the Mets swooping in against the Giants, no one is blowing CC away with an offer to change up. 

12 hours ago, Longdistancetwins said:

As a New York commentator said last week, Boras has every incentive to build up a good relationship with Mets owner Steve Cohen, given that he is now the MLB owner most willing to throw money around to Boras’s clients.  The failure to cinch the Correa deal is indeed an odd one.  

I don't think it works that way. Boras, IS the market maker. He controls all the best free agents, so teams literally have to come to him. He has more power than any team does. I HATE the guy and think he is bad for the game and ruining it, but I don't think this statement is anything other than NY media making it seem like they are super important or giving their fans more hope. 

7 minutes ago, Battle ur tail off said:

I don't think it works that way. Boras, IS the market maker. He controls all the best free agents, so teams literally have to come to him. He has more power than any team does. I HATE the guy and think he is bad for the game and ruining it, but I don't think this statement is anything other than NY media making it seem like they are super important or giving their fans more hope. 

I don’t disagree with your assessment. However, Boras represents his clients. Historically he has attracted clients who wanted the most money/longest contracts or some combination of. If Correa told Boras to work out a contract with the Mets that involved an injury exclusion, Boras would be obligated to do so. 

Other teams would engage Boras on a contract. Signing one is a different matter. I would suppose Boston could be a landing spot. It will probably be less money and years but it is not the teams that backed out of their offers even though it was the reasonable thing to do for the clubs

10 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

I’d do the 3/$105 contract without the opt outs, no questions asked.

I was thinking the same thing, he'll hit the market again at 31. And I agree with the no opt outs to guarantee the higher AAV.

If he stays productive, he may make more $$$ over the next 10-12 years on short contracts than he would on 1 mega deal.

Boras is just posturing to close the deal with the Mets.  Correa has made it clear he wants to play for the Mets and, clearly, that he doesn't want to play with the Twins.  Minnesotans need to get over their inferiority complex (let's face it, we aren't for everyone and we ought to be damned proud of it).  Same for being so gullible in soaking up praise that's in the player's best interest while negotiating.

I am just ready to move on from Correa.  The Twins front office needs to move on too.  It seems their focus on Correa has paralyses them this whole offseason.  As a season ticket holder, I would like to see a competitive team next year.  I am not feeling it all.  I am hoping by Twins fest they will have made positive moves.  If they have not, be interesting if they will hold Q&A sessions with fans as past Twins fests.  

13 hours ago, JD-TWINS said:

WHY?

Astros seemed to be OK without CC. Pitching should be our emphasis! Plenty of relievers to sign to strengthen BP!!

Why were Astros not stressed about letting CC go? Capable rookie replacement behind him…………..LEWIS - LEE are trailing Farmer later this year or ‘24 for sure. 

Continue to try & focus on Pitching depth & talent.

Why CC & not pitching?

My take on the difference:  If Correa was their only good player that can stay healthy (like the Twins) and Peña was coming into the season not yet fully rehabbed from his second major knee reconstruction in 2 years, they may have wanted to keep him.

There is no question about Peña at short.  He’s a stud defensively.  Lewis isn’t and may not stick there long-term.  We’re crossing our fingers that he’ll be league average.

I don’t think fans here would be upset about losing Correa if we had a lineup consisting of Altuve, Bregman, Brantley, Alvarez, Tucker, etc., and a defensive stud waiting in the wings, to go along with the best pitching staff in baseball.  If we were paying Verlander to $30M a year to win Cy Young awards vs. embarrassingly throwing junkballers in playoff games in Yankee Stadium because we’re scared of free agent contracts, our perception of the FO’s moves would be a little different.

Most important note: The Astros weren’t scared of spending the money.  They needed to lock up the best young hitter in the game (Alvarez).  They didn’t let Correa walk to trim payroll to $100 million.  We didn’t allocate those funds elsewhere.  We haven’t developed squat that needs to be paid, let alone the premier left handed bat in the game.  The money’s been put into the Scrooge McDuck vault, while every other quality FA fell off the board.  That may change, but that’s how it looks to fans at the moment.

Their FO has a track record of making good decisions (something ours doesn’t) and winning.  They’ve been in the last 6 ALC, and 4 of the last 6 World Series, winning 2.  They’ve had more success in 6 years that we’ve had in our entire history as a franchise.  Ours looks like rudderless group of incompetents that makes the wrong move at nearly every turn.  

For some context on Correa:  He has a career .272/.344/.849 playoff line.  He’s got a number of monster, clutch hits.  18 HRs and 60 RBI in 300 playoff ABs.  He is an absolute monster in big games.  I couldn’t disagree more that he’s just a coattail rider that meant nothing to the Astros success.

More context:  Byron Buxton has 1 single in the playoffs in his entire career.  Jorge Polanco 5 hits with a .364 slugging.  Kepler is hitless with a .375 OPS in 25 PAs.  Outside of Arraez who was phenomenal in 2019 (but hitless in 2020), Correa was the only guy on the roster that doesn’t curl into the fetal position in the post season.

I agree completely with the premise.  Sign some GD pitchers.  The problem is they didn’t, and seemingly refuse to do that.  

5 hours ago, Whitey333 said:

Oh p-ah leese get over this Correa infatuation.  Move on from it.  Maybe I'm the only one but at this point I think it would be a huge mistake to re engage and maybe resign Correa.  Yes we need a shortstop.  But what good is it to tie up so much payroll on one person when there are so many other needs on the team.  A less than mediocre team result with a high priced shortstop does not make any sense.

The team is not nearly as bad as people keep saying it is. There are 3 major holes in the roster (not in any particular order):

1. SS

2. One more high quality right handed bat

3. A true Ace.

Carlos fills two of those needs at once. Hence the infatuation. He's a perfect fit for this roster, and we saw last year he's a great fit in the clubhouse too. 

It's not Correa or bust, it's still possible that some combination of Royce and Brooks Lee could also fill those first two needs. But your wildest hope is that one day Royce or Lee turn in half the player that Carlos has already proven he is. So why not get the proven quantity?