Twins Daily
  • Create Account

If only the Twins could find a right handed bat who averages 38 home runs, 98 RBI, 90 runs scored per 162 games with a career OPS over .800

dxpavelka

On 1/2/2023 at 12:28 AM, chpettit19 said:

Yes, but you quoted my comment answering someone's question about who the thread was about. I was just letting you know I wasn't the author so if you were looking for a response from them you weren't likely to get one from quoting my comment.

I see. I must have screwed up.

On 12/30/2022 at 8:47 PM, Vanimal46 said:

I posted a couple of times in the Sano Farewell threads that he’ll have a hard time finding employment this winter. I didn’t think he would get an MLB contract and will have to settle for a minor league + ST invite deal. He will be joining old friend Willians Astudillo in Japan by 2024. 

Sadaharu Oh - No!

On 12/28/2022 at 7:46 PM, dxpavelka said:

If only the Twins could find a right handed bat who averages 38 home runs, 98 RBI, 90 runs scored per 162 games with a career OPS over .800

the problem here is that he last reached those marks:

38 home runs (never)

98 rbi (never even close)

90  runs scored (never even close)

162 games (never even close)

.800 OPS (not since 2019)

I have no problem with the idea of bringing him back but his 162-game paces mean almost nothing

On 12/31/2022 at 9:55 AM, dxpavelka said:

I'm hoping that an incarnation of Sano that I've seen before still exists.  You're hoping that a version of Kirilloff you've never seen actually might exist.  Willing to take my chances.

Why would we put hope in Sano, when we could go get a freely available righty bat with the below 162 games average?

37 HR, 87 R, 105 RBI, .859 OPS?

He also had an OPS above .800 more recently than Sano, and drastically outperformed Sano in 2022.

On 12/31/2022 at 2:29 PM, dxpavelka said:

Hits for average but scores and drives in runs at a pedestrian rates.  That screams empty to me.  The game's about scoring runs not hitting for average.

It's a lot easier to score runs when there are guys on base.  Guys who hit for average tend to be on base a lot.

5 hours ago, bloggymcbloggerson said:

38 home runs (never)

I have no problem with the idea of bringing him back but his 162-game paces mean almost nothing

How many guys on the current roster not named Buxton are gonna hit any of those numbers in either a single season OR over a 162 game pace?  HR:  Nobody although Gary Sanchez is at 37 per 162.  Miranda's is the apple of our eye and paced 86 RBI per 162.  Arraez won a batting title and does actually match Sano's per 162 runs scored.  Arraez played 144 games and won a batting title with an OPS under .800.  That's hard to do.  Career OPS is even lower.  This squad scored less than 700 runs last year and doesn't return Correa, Urshela and almost certainly Sanchez.  Not gonna compete without scoring 800 and I have no clue where those would come from.  Don't think they do either.

3 hours ago, Cap'n Piranha said:

Why would we put hope in Sano, when we could go get a freely available righty bat with the below 162 games average?

37 HR, 87 R, 105 RBI, .859 OPS?

He also had an OPS above .800 more recently than Sano, and drastically outperformed Sano in 2022.

Not sure who you're referring to but do tell and also let me know when we go out and get said guy.  Not holding my breath.

Why not sign Kent Hrbek?  He also has a career OPS above .800 (.848 to be exact), so we've seen he can do it too.

I've already advocated for Babe Ruth & Cy Young.  I'd have no issue with Hrbek & Viola to round things out as well. 

That would be Nelson Cruz.  I’m sure the Twins would have no difficulties in signing him.

I'd have no issue with bringing back Cruz considering the dregs we're likely to throw into the DH hole.  There is however, a slight difference between a 29 year old Sano and a 42 year old Cruz.

5 hours ago, dxpavelka said:

I'd have no issue with bringing back Cruz considering the dregs we're likely to throw into the DH hole.  There is however, a slight difference between a 29 year old Sano and a 42 year old Cruz.

I guess I wouldn’t consider Miranda, Kirilloff and Arraez dregs as they are likely, at this point, going to get the most time there and, imo, do better than Sano

On 12/29/2022 at 1:02 PM, Rosterman said:

Yeah, but Sano is coming off an injured season. But why no one has taken a gamble on him...yet!

I mean, he can play first, third...maybe even the outfield. 

Probably because he's gained 100 pounds in the offseason like he always does. 

6 hours ago, dxpavelka said:

Oh no doubt.  I'd have no problem giving him a minor league deal.  I think he is one of those guys you are constantly having to kick in the rear end to keep him motivated.  Unfortunately, that can be a bit of a clubhouse cancer when he's not doing well and so are a bunch of other guys.

17 hours ago, bloggymcbloggerson said:

38 home runs (never)

Exactly.  There is a certain cheer leader squad that will do anything to defend that dude (Sano) no matter how poorly he plays and then that same group turns around and trashes Kepler and other guys endlessly.  if the organization wants to bring Sano back on a minor league deal, i'm not opposed, but it would have to be under very strict guidelines which Sano is not capable of fulfilling in my opinion.  

27 minutes ago, laloesch said:

Oh no doubt.  I'd have no problem giving him a minor league deal.  I think he is one of those guys you are constantly having to kick in the rear end to keep him motivated.  Unfortunately, that can be a bit of a clubhouse cancer when he's not doing well and so are a bunch of other guys.

As long as Cruz is part of  the discussion, it's worth noting his clubhouse influence-ESPECIALLY on Sano.  Might be a  guy worth having around even after his playing days.  Not like Sano's the only Latino in that clubhouse either.

1 hour ago, dxpavelka said:

As long as Cruz is part of  the discussion, it's worth noting his clubhouse influence-ESPECIALLY on Sano.  Might be a  guy worth having around even after his playing days.  Not like Sano's the only Latino in that clubhouse either.

I agree.  Cruz is a positive guy to have around.  Always gives it 110%.