Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Here is How the Minnesota Twins Can Save Their Offseason

2 hours ago, Whitey333 said:

Another wish list that Twins will probably ignore.  They will be hoping for a healthier team and improved performance from the players we have for the most part.  When the dust settles, Gallo the choker will be booed out of Minnesota.  Twins bullpen will blow another 12 games or so, clutch hitting will again be missing.  Also missing will be the continued dumpster diving stiffs Twins always seem to find.  Also we will have to stomach another season of terrible baseball.  Boring and uninspiring and perhaps 75 wins.  Fans will again be blasted for not coming to Target field as attendance will dip to 1.5 million.  Put a team on the field that competes and a FO that is serious about producing a regular contender and people will come.  Otherwise year 3 of awful baseball masquerading as MLB will bring the same old him drum performance and record.

I consider Gallo a dumpster dive - somehow the Twins have convinced themselves that they can take flawed players and cure them - the results do not justify their opinion.

2 hours ago, mickster said:

I would like to see Fullmer and Hand added to the BP.   Eovaldi would be nice, but price is a question mark.   I am in the minority and like the Gallo signing IF Kepler is dealt.  Both are winners with the shift going away - and I think Gallo is a better defender and maybe will be allowed to run when he walks.   I would like to see us add Brandon Drury as he can play all over the INF and gives us some RH pop at DH

You lost me at Gallo is a better defender.  Are you putting him in LF?  Because being better than Max in right field is quite the stretch.

2 hours ago, awmonahan said:

After putting a dent in the farm system and coming in third, I don't see the FO losing a pick signing Eovaldi and trading prospects for Adames in this off-season. 

If they can get Adames, they should. He's under control for three more years (or two, not sure. If two, then I don't trade for him). 

This is a fine set of ideas. I don't like Eovoldi as much as some here do, but I get why some do.

4 hours ago, Mark G said:

I could live with any or all of the above.  My only nay in the entire article is suggesting signing Gallo and moving Kepler is a net gain.  If I am proven wrong I will take my crow medium rare, but I have serious doubts about that one.  Otherwise, I would like to see us bring those guys here; would be nice additions.

Kepler vs Gallo is arguable. Kepler has the higher floor, Gallo has the higher ceiling. Personally I'd think Kepler has more value, but 11 million dollars says Gallo has value too. 

3 hours ago, tony&rodney said:

Some fair suggestions but Adames is off the table as far as Milwaukee is concerned and Eovaldi is a stretch in cost. If the Twins were in on Eovaldi, they would have had an interest in Swanson (not that Swanson was). One of Will Smith or Brad Hand is worth a shot. The trade market is what is left and I hope the Twins only use their 40 person players to acquire players. More and more it seems it is time to see what the young bucks have at the MLB level. Alas, Max Kepler is as good as gone. Maybe the Yankees send us Oswaldo Cabrera for Max.

Not sure how Swanson ($177M SS vs. a $60M pitcher) compare on any level but do think Eovaldi brings value. We could sign 39 year old Greinke or Wacha or another ?? with J. Winder type of upside…….seems we should error on the side of talent. Eovaldi has 221 starts in 11 seasons - including 9 starts in Covid year of 2019. Also includes 6 in his first year. Didn’t pitch at all in 2017.

With the current roster size, a trade is likely coming. I think Eovaldi is the only real SP left in free agency that could provide serious quality, and another high-end reliever for the pen would be good. I think we still have issues on offense, you need to seriously improve the left side of the infield and get another righty OF, hopefully one that can improve center field.

9 hours ago, JD-TWINS said:

a $60M pitcher

What is the name of the last $60 million Twins pitcher? Their only long term signing is Randy Dobnak. The Twins have enough mid rotation arms. If the Twins canot get someone to slot in to the top spot, give the leftovers to Ober, Winder, Varland, and Woods Richardson. Let them learn what it takes to be a pitcher in the major leagues.

Most of these moves I agree with.  I'm just not certain what the FO has in mind. At this point it looks to me like it's a let the kids play plan and not worry about competing for the division. If that is where it ends up then 1 year contracts is all I would expect from this FO, Eovaldi isn't really worth the lost pick and Adames doesn't make much sense then.

The Twins are stuck in-between being completive and burning it down. So many key young players injured last season. That cost them a year of cheap control and no answers on most of them. Who knows what the young guys will do in a full season. Now throw in most of best starters are gone after this season..

1 minute ago, weitz41 said:

Most of these moves I agree with.  I'm just not certain what the FO has in mind. At this point it looks to me like it's a let the kids play plan and not worry about competing for the division. If that is where it ends up then 1 year contracts is all I would expect from this FO, Eovaldi isn't really worth the lost pick and Adames doesn't make much sense then.

The Twins are stuck in-between being completive and burning it down. So many key young players injured last season. That cost them a year of cheap control and no answers on most of them. Who knows what the young guys will do in a full season. Now throw in most of best starters are gone after this season..

Truth.

On 12/20/2022 at 10:24 AM, MarcF said:

If Eovaldi wasn't long past his prime, he would have been signed by another team long ago. 

He’s 33 - 4th best WAR last year of all free agent starting pitchers …..he’s a risk, but he’s 100-140 innings of decent quality performance. Spots of high end performances here & there. Sounds a lot like Sonny Gray.

I am concerned though that after Vázquez signed he hasn’t been able to get much activity on this front as his former battery mate. Maybe telling FO to go elsewhere?