Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Twins Minor League Hitter of the Month - May 2022

Twins Daily Contributor

As May comes to a close we’ve seen some Minor League hitters really make their mark on the 2022 season, and promotions have begun to take place. Minnesota has already utilized their depth at the highest level this season, and more strong performances could bring new names to the top.

Previous 2022 Hitters of the Month - April: Christian Encarnacion-Strand

We’ll take a look at the top five hitters of the month, but before diving into it, let’s start with an honorable mention.

Honorable Mention - Will Holland - Cedar Rapids Kernels 19-69, .275/.359/.522 (.881), two doubles, three triples, and three home runs
Holland was a 5th round pick from Auburn by the Twins during the 2019 Major League Baseball draft. This has been one of his better months as a professional, and he now has an .800 OPS for Cedar Rapids.. It would be good for Holland to parlay a hot start into an eventual promotion to Double-A Wichita.

Top Five Hitters

Number 5 - Wichita Wind Surge - C Alex Isola - 22-68, .324/.425/.500 (.925), three doubles, three home runs

Isola was a late-round selection in 2019, grabbed by Minnesota in the 29th round. Making his Double-A debut after a solid 2021 playing at High-A Cedar Rapids, Isola got hot in May. He’s never been a high batting average guy, but the .297 batting average this season is more than nice to see. Isola has a good amount of power and strong plate discipline. With Minnesota needing catching depth at the highest levels, his emergence early this season could afford more opportunity as the season rolls on.

Number 4 - Fort Myers Miracle - SS Noah Miller - 30-84, .357/.471/.536 (1.006), five doubles, two triples, two home runs
A first-round pick for the Twins last season, Miller looks the part of a true shortstop. He’s held down the position well thus far during his professional career, and his bat broke out in a big way during May. Speed is part of Miller’s game and that was evidenced by the pair of triples. He’s probably not going to hit a ton of homers, but he draws a lot of walks and already has 13 stolen bases in 15 attempts this season.

Number 3 - Fort Myers Miracle - INF Mikey Perez - 21-79, .266/.372/.544 (.917), seven doubles, five home runs
Minnesota grabbed Perez in the 15th round of last year’s draft out of UCLA. His pro debut was a good one, but it consisted of just 10 games last season. After a slow start in April, Perez turned it on in a big way last month. The 12 extra-base hits in just 23 games are impressive, and for a guy that never really hit for power in college, a month with five home runs is a development the Twins have to be excited about.

Number 2 - Wichita Wind Surge - OF Matt Wallner - 25-83, .301/.426/.602 (1.028) seven doubles, six home runs
Wallner was a first-round pick for the Twins in 2019 after he had been a 32nd-round selection out of high school (as a pitcher) three years prior. Spending three years at Southern Mississippi was the smart route for him. He improved his stock immensely, and Wallner has flashed big tools. He’s got one of the best arms in the system and hits for some of the most power. There’s always been a considerable amount of swing-and-miss in his game, but Wallner is now showing a stronger sense of plate discipline as well. He’ll have plenty of months where he hits lots of dingers. If he has a June that looks like his May, he could push a ticket to St. Paul.

And the Twins Minor League Hitter of the Month is:

Wichita Wind Surge/St. Paul Saints - INF Spencer Steer - 25-85, .294/.371/.659 (1.030), four doubles, nine home runs
At one point it, could’ve been argued that Steer was among the most underrated prospects in the Twins system, but I think we’ve blitzed by that point. He was rewarded with a promotion to Triple-A St. Paul recently and has continued to crush the ball there. Steer was a third-round pick in 2019 and has hit at every stop of the farm. The 24 dingers last season showed the work he put in while minor league baseball was canceled in 2020. He’s already got ten homers this season and two of them have come in his week with the Saints. Steer has an exceptional approach at the plate and is a well-balanced hitter. He has quickly become someone that the Twins can look at as a future fixture in their lineup.

The Twins current middle infield is a bit crowded with superstars and top prospects, but at some of the most impactful positions on the diamond, that’s a great problem to have. Steer will be tested plenty at Triple-A, but being 24-years-old, he could factor in as part of the next wave. Minnesota has to be impressed with the career trajectory thus far, and a strong May has made 2022 an exciting start.

We’d like to congratulate Spencer Steer, Twins Daily’s choice for Minor League Hitter of the Month for May 2022. Feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions below.

View full article

Verified Member

Happy to see WIll Holland on this list.  The Twins could use guys with more speed and he has plenty of it.  He could be a Nick Gordon type player with power if the bat stays at this level.

I shouldn't be but am a little surprised to see Isola on the list.  I guess it is just kind of hard to fathom a pick in the 29th round having this much impact.  I think his approach is solid and he has power.  Just comes down to defense for him IMO.

Kind of thought Miller would struggle more than this in his first year but given the MLB ready defense and the bat heating up things look good for him being a fast mover.

Wallner and Steer both looking good the only real surprise is no CES or Rodriguez on the list this month.  Hopefully those two get hot again as well.

Verified Member

As I have noted before, Steer's development has been a joy to see.  He works hard, hustles, and has improved in all aspects of his game.  And, he is consistent.  I suspect we will see him at Target Field this summer, especially with all of the injuries.  Isola has been a surprise, and in the games I have watched does a good job behind the plate. Miller just plain looks the part of a complete player.  What impresses me at his young age is his poise and confidence.  He has major league player written all over him.  

18 minutes ago, nicholas Anderson said:

Great to see all players on the list (except Steer) had an OBP at least 100 points above their batting average.  Even Steer's was fairly significant.  That tells me they all have a great eye at the plate. Hopefully, it will carry over month to month and into the bigs.

Steer had a 12% K rate in May, so if you are using some combination K-BB number then he's probably the best of the bunch statistically speaking.

Love seeing Noah Miller on these kinds of lists. I think he's the SS of the future for the Twins as he'll push Lewis off since he'll be (already is?) a better defender there. Maybe Lewis slides over to 2B when Polanco's deal is up and Miller takes over SS? Whatever the situation is I think Miller pushes Lewis somewhere else in a few years.

Spencer Steer seems to just be doing whatever he has to do to get to Minneapolis. And by the looks of it he's going to make it there relatively soon. He has some obstacles in his way to get onto the 40-man and finding a spot to play with the big boys, but with the way the injuries are going these days he may be needed next week. Or he may be a trade piece come July. Will be interesting to continue to follow his journey this year. 

13 minutes ago, chpettit19 said:

Love seeing Noah Miller on these kinds of lists. I think he's the SS of the future for the Twins as he'll push Lewis off since he'll be (already is?) a better defender there. Maybe Lewis slides over to 2B when Polanco's deal is up and Miller takes over SS? Whatever the situation is I think Miller pushes Lewis somewhere else in a few years.

Spencer Steer seems to just be doing whatever he has to do to get to Minneapolis. And by the looks of it he's going to make it there relatively soon. He has some obstacles in his way to get onto the 40-man and finding a spot to play with the big boys, but with the way the injuries are going these days he may be needed next week. Or he may be a trade piece come July. Will be interesting to continue to follow his journey this year. 

Lets slow down fella.  Noah Miller is looking good and smooth,  I think it is a little early to say he will supplant Lewis.    I am just glad the Twins have options at short,  and Palacios and Holland appear to be helping that depth.  Cavaco appears to still be MIA.   

Steer is demolishing the pitching at whatever level he his at.  We will have a nice competition between him and Miranda and possibly Urshela for 3rd base next year.  I don't think  Steer will be the trade bait,  but he could be.   I think they would prefer to utilize prospects in the 10-30 range for relief help.   

very exciting to see Noah Miller off to a really good start in his first year of full-season pro-ball. You never know with the high school picks how long it's going to take them to adjust (and some of them never do) and while Miller wasn't bad in rookie ball, he didn't light the world on fire either. He's getting hits, he's getting walks, he's showing decent pop for the FSL (and power is a tool that often develops later), and the speed is very good. he looks like someone who can stick at SS. 

Wallner had such a dreadful start to the year that you had to wonder if something was wrong. Apparently he just needed time, swings, etc. I'm always going to have some concerns about his ability to make enough contact, but months like this make you think that he can do it. The power is tremendous, he's not a bad OF and the arm certainly plays. His comps are somewhere in the Brent Rooker-Adam Dunn zone, and it's hard to know where he'll land. If he can finish the season with a BA over .270 I'd feel more confident? he had a terrific May and if he hadn't gotten off to such a horrific start I think we'd all be feeling a lot higher on him.

Verified Member
35 minutes ago, 2wins87 said:

Emmanuel Rodriguez deserves a mention as well.  His power output was down in May but he still managed to scrape together a .515 OBP (.515!!!) and .939 OPS.

Jeferson Morales also had a nice month in limited playing time with a .298/.389/.532 (.921) slash line.

Yeah thanks for pointing that out.  In May, he has literally been on base every other time he comes up to bat.  His OBP is .200 points over his batting average.  I wonder if he sacrificed some power and contact for plate discipline.  I know he was almost overly aggressive last year and while sometimes you can hit a first pitch strike for a HR it also pays to learn how to get a good pitch later in the at bat as well.

Verified Member
1 hour ago, Rosterman said:

Christian-Encarnacion-Strand - how bad was his May compared to his April?

If I am reading the site right looks like April was 410/459/679 which is elite to May 206/278/381 which means there is work to do.

Excited seeing a catcher, any catcher on this list.  Looking at the numbers, can’t believe Perez was higher than Miller.  Are you guys so much into home runs that five versus two had Perez higher even though all of Miller’s other numbers were higher?