Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Game Thread: Twins vs. Seattle, 4/9/22 @ 1:10pm CT

twinssporto

image.png.fc43c367f6fe294249bbd2e4ced1d13c.png

Good morning Twins fans and welcome back to more Game Thread fun! It was so nice seeing the Twins play again yesterday! I hate that we lost but one game in the scheme of things doesn't really matter this time of year. However, I really believe we have a strong foundation and a group of players that will compete well this year. I'm still standing by my prediction that the Twins will win the AL Central this year.

By the way, I love this time of year in Minnesota. We have the Masters on TV, the weather is warming, the ice is melting off the lakes, the grass is beginning to green, MLB is starting up and hope "springs" eternal for my favorite team the Minnesota Twins. 

It will be interesting to see how Sonny Gray stacks up today against this Mariner's offense. Hopefully his first start as a Minnesota Twin will result in a big W! How will the rest of the bullpen do? Will our offense start seeing the ball and make more contact? Will the dynamic duo of Buxton and Correa become the most dangerous one-two punch in MLB? Well, pull up a chair, crack a beer or your favorite beverage and tune in to find out. Today's game is gonna be a good one!

Speaking of ice melting...Here are some fast facts on one of Minnesota's most celebrated lakes, Lake Minnetonka. Ice-out on Lake Minnetonka is declared when officials can boat through all channels and bays without being obstructed by ice. The earliest ice-out was March 11, 1878. The latest ice-out was May 5, 1857. The average ice-out date historically has been April 17th, 18th and 19th. The median ice-out date is April 14th (half of ice-outs are before that date and half are after that date). Coincidentally, for many years the latest ice-out date was attributed to May 8th, 1856. The Minnesota Climatology Working Group raised questions about the accuracy of that date based on temperature records showing that April 1856 was very warm.

My guess is we will have ice-out on Lake Minnetonka April 15th this year. I can hardly wait to start Crappie fishing in a few weeks! Just like I can hardly wait to see this Minnesota Twins franchise win another World Series. 

Win Twins!

Today's Lineups:

MINNESOTA TWINS:

1. Byron Buxton, CF

2. Luis Arraez, 3B

3. C. Correa, SS

4. J. Polanco, 2B

5. Alex Kirilloff, DH

6. Miguel Sano, 1B

7. Max Kepler, RF

8. Ryan Jeffers, C

9. Nick Gordon, LF

SP - Sonny Gray (R)

SEATTLE MARINERS

1. Adam Frazier, 2B

2. Ty France, 1B

3. Jesse Winker, DH

4. M. Haniger, RF

5. Abraham Toro, 3B

6. J. Kelenic, LF

7. J. Rodriguez, CF

8. J. Crawford, SS

9. Tom Murphy, C

SP - Logan Gilbert (R)

Weather: Sunny and warming up to a balmy 50 degrees. Wind blowing out today at about 3mph.

Just now, D. Hocking said:

I saw a comment recently that Mauer is going to be 40 next year which made me realize, I am older than forty and did not make me feel young.

Damn.. on the challenge.

46 here.  i am old, tired, but have a Hell of a lot of years of teaching ahead yet unfortunately.  

Twins Daily Contributor
1 minute ago, Sconnie said:

Following via game day, hoping for some clarification:

Kiriloff struck out on a pitch the catcher couldn’t hold on to? Then he catcher threw it into the outfield?

the catcher dropped the ball - he ran to first as the catcher threw it to first. The first baseman looked like he came down late, but he didn't. seattle challened, Kiriloff was out :(

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Twins community on the internet.