Twins Daily
  • Create Account

2022 Vikings Off-Season Thread

Mike Sixel

8 minutes ago, Mike Sixel said:

I hated that extension at the time.....now it is just an issue. That said, the cap is going up and up every year, and it won't hold them back, imo.

Even with the rising cap it’s putting us at a disadvantage. In 2024 they’ll have to deal with Cousins and Hunter’s void years (if they’re not extended). If Thielen is cut after 2023 they’ll be at $30 million dead cap, around 12% of the projected cap. They’re at 11% dead cap this year and we see how that’s impacting free agency moves. 

40 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

Even with the rising cap it’s putting us at a disadvantage. In 2024 they’ll have to deal with Cousins and Hunter’s void years (if they’re not extended). If Thielen is cut after 2023 they’ll be at $30 million dead cap, around 12% of the projected cap. They’re at 11% dead cap this year and we see how that’s impacting free agency moves. 

I'm not sure how they get out from this, which is why I would have blown it up this year and just ate all the money fast...so, ya, you may be right.

They really are getting the band back together... Peterson will be the fourth starter they've signed who is 30 or older. 

Also, Thielen's restructure... yuck, it's actually a pay raise for a 32 year old injury prone WR. Sure, I like him, but cap hits of $20M and $22M the next two years are way too high. I don't get what this team is doing, pushing all this money down the road for a team that's probably going to win 8 or 9 wins in 2022.

Negativity aside, $4M for Peterson is a steal, and the Za'Darius Smith contract is also a bargain, with the $14M a year really a facade for a 1 year $9M deal, or even 2/$22M since the contract only has $6.45M out of $42M guaranteed (plus $5M of difficult incentives, but he'll be worth every penny if he hits them).

On 3/30/2022 at 9:05 AM, Vanimal46 said:

These cap hits in 2023 and 2024 are gross. Not sure it’s worth the trade off saving $5 million in cap space this year. 

I'm getting real tired of these can kicking situations. I thought they'd stop going out of their way to cling to these aging vets once Spielman and Zimmer were gone but guess not.

I just started paying attention to the draft gurus. Haven't found more than one or two I agree with. The Vikes have two pressing needs; right guard and cornerback; right guard if they want to shore up pass protection and if they want to open up holes for Cook to run through; cornerback for both the "now" and the future. There's only two cornerbacks in this draft that could step in and start right away, Gardner and Stingley, and they'll both be gone before the Vikes step up to the microphone. That will force the Vikes to look at right guard for immediate impact. Fortunately interior lineman Tyler Linderbaum out of Iowa should still be available because there's about a half dozen tackles that will go off the board before then. There's only three things of value that come out of Iowa; hogs, corn and offensive lineman and Linderbaum is going to be another one of those lineman. Rated one of the top run blockers and a decent pass protector with upside, Linderbaum is the guy the Vikes should be drooling over. With Spielman gone maybe the Vikes will finally get around to paying attention to the O Line.

45 minutes ago, Dave The Dastardly said:

I just started paying attention to the draft gurus. Haven't found more than one or two I agree with. The Vikes have two pressing needs; right guard and cornerback; right guard if they want to shore up pass protection and if they want to open up holes for Cook to run through; cornerback for both the "now" and the future. There's only two cornerbacks in this draft that could step in and start right away, Gardner and Stingley, and they'll both be gone before the Vikes step up to the microphone. That will force the Vikes to look at right guard for immediate impact. Fortunately interior lineman Tyler Linderbaum out of Iowa should still be available because there's about a half dozen tackles that will go off the board before then. There's only three things of value that come out of Iowa; hogs, corn and offensive lineman and Linderbaum is going to be another one of those lineman. Rated one of the top run blockers and a decent pass protector with upside, Linderbaum is the guy the Vikes should be drooling over. With Spielman gone maybe the Vikes will finally get around to paying attention to the O Line.

I'd be somewhat surprised if he's there, but if he is, I'd take him. Or trade down...

3 hours ago, Dave The Dastardly said:

I think there is a decent chance Stingley is available at #12 because of his injury issues and also because he wasn't played well since 2019. 

I don't think they will go OL in the 1st round... the previous regime had already spent a 1st or 2nd in 4 consecutive drafts, so I wouldn't call it "ignored", but I would expect some competition to get added in the 2nd or 3rd round for Bradbury and the mishmash at RG. 

Actually, I think they go WR over OL in the 1st round if it comes down to those two positions. With an analytically-minded GM in charge, I would expect the Vikings to avoid picking guards and centers early and focus on the high-impact positions.

1 hour ago, Danchat said:

I think there is a decent chance Stingley is available at #12 because of his injury issues and also because he wasn't played well since 2019. 

I don't think they will go OL in the 1st round... the previous regime had already spent a 1st or 2nd in 4 consecutive drafts, so I wouldn't call it "ignored", but I would expect some competition to get added in the 2nd or 3rd round for Bradbury and the mishmash at RG. 

Actually, I think they go WR over OL in the 1st round if it comes down to those two positions. With an analytically-minded GM in charge, I would expect the Vikings to avoid picking guards and centers early and focus on the high-impact positions.

Well shut my mouth! You're right. I forgot about Darrisaw, probably because he missed the first half of the season. And I see the Vikes have signed a couple guard-type free agents. But I don't see the pick going to a WR. That's about the only position that isn't a weak spot. So CB or LB? Or Edge for the seldom-available Hunter? The thing is, I believe Linderbaum has also played center (see Bradbury), that's double the pleasure in my book.

I don't get the Stingley hype, this isn't 2019. 

Admittedly I loathe the idea of drafting another CB in the first round, but Stingley wouldn't be among my first three, that's for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the guy who no GMs want to touch with a 1st round pick while all the pundits express indignation about him sliding. 

There seems to be so many options to pressure the QB with front seven players early in this draft. That has to be the priority here with the defense completely changing and both Hunter and Za'Darius Smith very likely gone after this year.

23 minutes ago, Mike Sixel said:

Given they just signed another OG, I can't see OL before round 4.

Agreed.  I don't think OG is one of the highest needs.  CB and LB and pass rusher.  

Count me out on Stingley too.  Much prefer Mcduffie or Booth or Elam if not Sauce.

I like 2nd rounders like McCreary or Gordon way more too.  Stingley feels like all hype.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, nicksaviking said:

Jordan Davis is who I'd like at this point. Just seems to me like an elite NT would be the biggest game changer for the defense. Obviously the "elite" part is TBD.

Though I'm guessing he's unlikely since Tomlinson is still here another year.

I love a big space eater too.  For the record, I'm not sure Tomlinson is the nose tackle.  If we're playing a hybrid front he might be closer to a 3 technique on the guard.

For my money, I'd rather trade down and hope Travis Jones is available in the 2nd round.  He might be my favorite run stuffer in this class.

I'm not big on Davis at #12 because of his inability to rush the passer (despite his freakish metrics) and getting winded as a part-time player for Georgia. Yes, we do need a NT and Tomlinson isn't blocking him (he's also in a contract year), but I'd also prefer moving down in the 1st or up in the 2nd to get Travis Jones.

6 hours ago, Danchat said:

I'm not big on Davis at #12 because of his inability to rush the passer (despite his freakish metrics) and getting winded as a part-time player for Georgia. Yes, we do need a NT and Tomlinson isn't blocking him (he's also in a contract year), but I'd also prefer moving down in the 1st or up in the 2nd to get Travis Jones.

So with the draft so close, what is your ideal scenario Dan?

I'm hoping we can land a trade down to the 20-24 range and just pick the best defender on the board.  McDuffie, Booth, Lloyd, one of the pass rusher....I'm really not partial to position.  Whoever can step in and play day 1.

11 hours ago, TheLeviathan said:

I'm hoping we can land a trade down to the 20-24 range and just pick the best defender on the board.  McDuffie, Booth, Lloyd, one of the pass rusher....I'm really not partial to position.  Whoever can step in and play day 1.

Same. Get another second. Pick D then D and WR or Ol or D again. 

13 hours ago, TheLeviathan said:

Ideally you have a stud land in your lap at #12 (Hamilton/Thibodeaux/Gardner) or you move down and gain a few more picks and take a guy they really liked but would have been a reach at #12. If they're picking at 12, Jermaine Johnson or Derek Stingley would be nice lands, while I'm not high on Jordan Davis or Trent McDuffie. 

4 hours ago, Danchat said:

Ideally you have a stud land in your lap at #12 (Hamilton/Thibodeaux/Gardner) or you move down and gain a few more picks and take a guy they really liked but would have been a reach at #12. If they're picking at 12, Jermaine Johnson or Derek Stingley would be nice lands, while I'm not high on Jordan Davis or Trent McDuffie. 

What is your beef with McDuffie?

4 hours ago, gunnarthor said:

In a crazy world where the ND safety falls to the Vikings, anyone think they take him? Or do they have more pressing needs?

Also, who is the top 10ish player who falls this year on draft day?

My vote on guys who fall would be one of the OL or Karlaftis.