Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Article: Painted Into A Corner (Infield Crunch)

Twins Daily Contributor

Something had to change. MLB rosters are limited to 25 active players each day and someone wasn't going to be around when Trevor Plouffe returned from injury. Paul Molitor discussed the possibility of demoting Miguel Sano before his big weekend in Tampa Bay. Sano stayed and Byron Buxton was expendable as he continues to struggle at baseball's highest level.

This recent roster shake-up brought to the forefront a glaring roster issue. Minnesota currently has a plethora of options when it comes to corner infielders and designated hitters. There are also more alternatives playing well in the minor leagues. It's important to have plenty of hitting options but the Twins 40-man roster is overloaded and something is going to have to change moving in 2017.Each player offers a different skill set so the new general manager will likely have some tough decisions to make in regard to each of these players.

Joe Mauer, 1B

Contract Status: Signed thru 2018

Mauer is in year six of his eight-year deal and this season is his third since being forced to move out from behind the plate. He has been one of the best defensive first baseman in the American League. His offensive numbers have lagged as he transitioned to first base but there have been flashes of the old Mauer this season as he has posted a .382 OBP and a .795 OPS. Mauer isn't going anywhere so he will be part of the big picture next season.

Trevor Plouffe, 3B

Contract Status: Arbitration Eligible 2017, Free Agent 2018

Plouffe's days in Minnesota seemed to be numbered and he might have already been traded if he were healthy leading into this year's trade deadline. Plouffe became serviceable at third base after working hard on his defense but those skills seem to be declining now that he is in his 30s. He's hit 14 or more home runs in each of the last four seasons and has a career OPS over .720. With younger and cheaper options already on the roster, this might be Plouffe's last season in Minnesota.

Miguel Sano, 3B/DH

Contract Status: Arbitration Eligible 2019, Free Agent 2022

There was probably little chance of Sano putting up the number he did during his 80 game rookie campaign. Things were going to come back down to earth. Minnesota's attempt to turn him into an outfielder was a massive failure and now he has struggled as he transitions back to third base. He currently ranks fifth on the team in fWAR and his 18 home runs are four behind Brian Dozier for the team lead. Even with the rumblings out the Twin Cities that Sano might not be working hard enough, he's still on track to be one of baseball's best power hitters.

Kennys Vargas, 1B/DH

Contract Status: Arbitration Eligible 2018, Free Agent 2022

Vargas has been up and down during his big league tenure. He showed some promising signs as a rookie back in 2014 with nine home runs and a .772 OPS across 53 games. Last year wasn't nearly as good as he struggled to hit over .240 and his slugging percentage dipped to .349. Since being recalled this season, Vargas has been one of the team's best hitters. Vargas is hitting .278/.404/.569 with 13 extra-base hits in 21 games. If he continues on this pace, Minnesota might have to consider him for the full-time DH role in 2017.

Byung-Ho Park, 1B/DH

Contract Status: Signed thru 2019, Team Option for 2020

Park held his own during the first month of the season with a .848 OPS and six home runs. Things took a nosedive from there as he hit .136/.224/.303 for the month of June. In 26 games since being demoted to Triple-A, he has hit nine home runs and compiled a .862 OPS. However, his batting average is .234 and he's only getting on base 31% of the time. With other players doing well in front of him, there doesn't look to be a spot for Mr. Park. His story line will be an interesting one to follow in the coming months.

Even with this list of players, there are others making their way to Target Field that could be better suited for a designated hitter role. Adam Brett Walker continues to mash home runs at every level. Daniel Palka has been powerful during his first season in the organization and could be added to the 40-man roster in the off-season. Where do both of these players fit into the team's long-term plans?

Minnesota's offense seems to be clicking so maybe having lots of power hitting options is a positive. This still leaves the new general manager with an interesting corner to paint himself out of during the offseason. Time will tell which players will make their marks for 2017 and beyond.

If you are the GM, what corner infield options will be on your roster? Leave a COMMENT and start the discussion.

Click here to view the article

The Twins (without acknowledging it) began the 2016 season with every position except First Base in a state of flux.  Maybe they were still wearing the 2015 model rose-colored glasses.  They knew Catcher was in need and traded to improve it.  They thought the remainder of the infield was set.  Now they see the issues .

At Third they are realizing that Sano needs to play there and improve his defense as well as his plate discipline and approach.  Polanco is forcing their hand at Short.  Escobar has always been a stop-gap and is neither the offensive or defensive standout that is needed. The "weak arm" argument against Polanco may not float much longer.  Second Base seems more solid since Dozier got hot, but he is streaky and turns 30 next year.  His defense has slipped and when slumping at the plate he becomes a large liability.

The good news on the team is the outfield.  We now start three outfielders who were in the minors last year and parts of this year.  Danny Santana is the only guy who has been on the team all year, and that's because he is out of options.  Robbie Grossman has been a surprise fill-in.  Kepler looks like a keeper.  It looks like Rosario learned something in Rochester.  Maybe Buxton will learn something too.

The Twins often start a majority of young players each day.  It took a disastrous start to open eyes.  2017 looks to be fun.

On the surface, the move for Park wasn't a bad one. On the surface. It's always good to add quality ballplayers to your roster. Better too many than too few. And really, coming in to the season, we weren't sure what Mauer would do. We weren't sure about Arcia. We weren't sure what to expect from Vargas. And if Park was hitting at least .250 with an OK OB and on pace to slug 30+ doubles and 20+ homers, we'd all be on his fan bandwagon. But all that being said, and despite applauding the Twins for thinking outside the box for once, it was a short-sighted move for a team with holes elsewhere.

Vargas is young and has good power and a good eye. Even if you dismiss 2014 and 2015 as cancelling one another out, go look at his milb track record. Solid numbers, high OPS, consistent advancement. He should be applauded for the hard work he's put in at the plate and at 1B. He should not be dismissed. Frankly, I'm excited about him.

With a little more time and work, and maybe losing a couple pounds, Sano has the reactions and arm to be at least decent at 3B. You can go down through the years and examine 3B after 3B and you will see struggles defensively while they settled in. (Same for SS and 2B) And let's not forget sticking him in OF, announcing he's not going to play 3B, and then putting him back there again. You MUST give him time.

I've always rooted for Plouffe, and he's a solid ballplayer when healthy. The real tragedy for the Twins was him being hurt so much this season to decrease his value. Maybe, hopefully, he can still be moved via a wire trade to someone with a need. But really, he should be done after this season with the Twins.

To me, the big crunch is 1B/DH. What if Park starts to get it together? Is there room for he, Mauer and Vargas in 2017? Two in the lineup most days, one on the bench in reserve. But that would force you to carry only one utility guy. Not sure I'm crazy about that.

To me, the big crunch is 1B/DH. What if Park starts to get it together? Is there room for he, Mauer and Vargas in 2017? Two in the lineup most days, one on the bench in reserve. But that would force you to carry only one utility guy. Not sure I'm crazy about that.

Well that's where the trade from your strength to fill another hole comes to play. Just feel like Boston would like to give another cast off a try if the Twins sour on Vargas. Not sure what I did there tried to use part of DocBauer's post.

Edited by darin617

The logjam at first.

Towards the future, I was actually looking as Kepler being a first baseman (he was playing there a bit in AA ball). And people talk about Sano, possibly. But see Sano moving towards DH.

In the distant minors, we have Diaz. But before that, we have Bargas, who will have to be carried on the 40-man next year and then arbitration eligible in 2018. We have Park, on the ropes until 2019 with an option. Of course, joltin' Joe is there for two more seasons and not going anywheres. At least, if we had cycled Arcia into the mix (instead of Park) we had a fourth outfielder to play the corners.

A bigger question is the capability of any of these guys coming off the bench, Thome -style, to give you the big hit. Plus getting the pitching in order so you can carry a "slugger only" on the bench.

Yes, we do have Walker, who can go up and down for the next couple of years/. We have Palka, who might be a first baseman, and can also cycle into a role come 2018 or beyond if we wish to wait that long.

Vargas they tried to send abroad (still keeping him as a Twin for another year or two, I believe). That didn't happen. They might be able to move Park back to Asia. But even with any success, I'm not sure if the market for a Park or a Vargas is any better than an overpaid Mauer...which is really the albatross (although he does get on-base.).

The new general manager has to figure out the direction to go.

Logjams are good. Right? They certainly are preferred over what we have at catcher. Vargas looks to be a major league player. Not sure about Park. He can play in minors until Vargas gets a long shot or someone wants him. In 2018 Vargas and Sano might be the DH/1B combo with Mauer declining to an A-Rod role. In 2019 both will be on their primes with power and walks in the middle of the batting order. We need one more year at 3B with Sano.

It is very important that Sano is able to play 3rd base. If that happens you could have Mauer, Park and Vargas on the same roster. Could rotate through the two spots and have a bench bat. But if Sano cannot stick at third base, and I don't think that can be determined now, there is a real roster issue. New GM will not resign Plouffe and may try and trade Park or Vargas. I would not trade either one for at least another year. I think both will move forward next year. 

I think any discussion about 3B long-term should include Polanco.

And any GM worth a dang could have seen this coming this past offseason and done what most everyone saw as the wise, forward-thinking thing to do and trade Plouffe. The error of not moving him was even more confounding given the logjam at DH was also foreseeable at the time (and compounded with the Park signing).

Denial is a strange thing. No matter how many times it is pointed out that there was not a market for 3B last winter there are people who insist on Plouffe  should have been traded over the winter.  It is sort of like thinking Duensing was a valuable commodity to be added into any trade to get a player or multiple prospects back.    Gluts of  1b/3b/dh types.  No one person's play has been anywhere close to making the team look foolish for having the other players.

Sano in right as a mistake.  Schwaber is built along the same lines as Sano. Shorter, but about the same BMI.  Can't find where people thought Epstien and Maddon were idiots. The all Star Bryant does not always play 3b, he gets to play OF     Jeezo, those Cubs must sure be idiots.

If I am GM I non-tender Plouffe at the end of the year. There is no market for him and going thru arbitration will give him a raise over the 7.7 mil he is making this year. I dangle Vargas and Park in trades and if neither moves i start with Vargas in bigs and Park in AAA. Also..this is a long shot but i lobby in the new agreement to have rosters expanded to 26..which eases the crunch.

If I am GM I non-tender Plouffe at the end of the year. There is no market for him and going thru arbitration will give him a raise over the 7.7 mil he is making this year. I dangle Vargas and Park in trades and if neither moves i start with Vargas in bigs and Park in AAA. Also..this is a long shot but i lobby in the new agreement to have rosters expanded to 26..which eases the crunch.

Agree.  This all hinges on Sano being able to stick at 3B but that's something IMO that should be given time.  He is too valuable at 3B to give up on without giving him a long look.  Its time to part ways with Plouffe regardless.

If Vargas continues to hit, I fail to see how that's a problem.   Park will have to play in AAA.  If Park tears it up at AAA, that's hardly a problem either.   He is then the back-up plan to Vargas or could be traded. His contract is $3M/yr. which should help make him tradeable.   If he sits in AAA for awhile, he likely works out a deal to go back to Korea.

Edited by Major Leauge Ready

I would also shop Plouffe, Vargas, and Park. Plan on Sano as DH and Polanco 3B. Unless Dozier could nab SP or C. No need to carry additional DH types as it looks like Sano's future. Start there, see how it shakes out. Pitching is what they really need if they're planning to compete next year tho.

Having an 'excess' at any position is good - but only if you trade that excess to fill other holes. 

Plouffe needs to go, either before Sept. 1 or in the off-season.  I can't believe there isn't a contender that wouldn't like a bench bat/3rd base/1st base fill-in for the stretch drive. Hopefully he plays well so some team wants him. 

Keep playing Vargas and after Sept. 1, Park comes up and rotates in with Vargas and Mauer. Hopefully both Park and Vargas play well so in the off-season one gets traded to fill a need.  Palka and Walker are your backups in AAA in case of an injury.

In 2017 you have Sano at third, with and occasional day at DH, with Polanco covering third.

Edited by Blackjack

Provisional Member

Park and Vargas haven't proven to be Major League caliber hitters.  Plouffe won't be back next season.  I don't see a roster crunch.  

There will be room for Polanco via a Dozier trade, the new regime deciding he can play SS, or the new regime deciding Sano should DH.  

Denial is a strange thing. No matter how many times it is pointed out that there was not a market for 3B last winter there are people who insist on Plouffe  should have been traded over the winter. 

I'm guessing there was a market since several 3B were moved over the offseason. The Twins either (1) over-valued Plouffe and asked for too much or (2) avoided the market altogether because they liked Plouffe and failed to see the logjam that exists today. 

Sano NEEDS to play 3rd?  Really?  Granted, someone has finally gotten Sano to not pat the ball in his glove several times before throwing, but his positional prowess is based on hitting.  He should be a full-time DH, with the exception of the inter-league games on NL soil.  And, of course, time off for the "regular" 3rd-bagger.

Oh, and playing Sano in RF was a worthy effort.  We needed to see if he can be more than 3rd/DH/1st type.  He was still in the process of learning to read flyballs and running routes.  Education incomplete.  IF [like the Plouffe injury] need arises, Sano would be OK, as a short term fix.  Probably won't get to that point.

Plouffe may be back:  brace yourselves for disappointment.  But if Polanco keeps playing the way he has, Plouffe presence will not be needed. 

If Vargas continues to hit and play 1st pretty well, wouldn't he be a better trade candidate?

Park, Mauer + contracts.  Enough said.  Already.

I apparently don't  have enough imagination to picture the Twins trading Dozier.

See if you can't find a trade partner for Plouffe in August. 

The big question is still DH. I like Vargas. I still think Park has a major league bat in him. But I wonder if the Twins see if they can't find a taker for him in the offseason. I'd rather have Vargas over Park.

I also wonder if you couldn't give Mauer some time at third. People scoff at this. But you could keep Park and Vargas to give you a big bat off the bench. You could then play Mauer at third one day a week to get both Park and Vargas in the lineup at the same time. 

In any event, the new GM will have some work to do ...

Provisional Member

Denial is a strange thing. No matter how many times it is pointed out that there was not a market for 3B last winter there are people who insist on Plouffe  should have been traded over the winter.  It is sort of like thinking Duensing was a valuable commodity to be added into any trade to get a player or multiple prospects back.    Gluts of  1b/3b/dh types.  No one person's play has been anywhere close to making the team look foolish for having the other players.

For the 100th time, it wasn't about the market or what you could bring back. It was simply about opening a roster spot. The return didn't matter, it wouldn't be great because Plouffe isn't a great player. Him not being on the team (opening the door for Kepler in RF and Sano at 3B) was all that it was about

For the 100th time, it wasn't about the market or what you could bring back. It was simply about opening a roster spot. The return didn't matter, it wouldn't be great because Plouffe isn't a great player. Him not being on the team (opening the door for Kepler in RF and Sano at 3B) was all that it was about

You can open up Roster space without dumping plouffe. You unnecessarily limit your options falling into that mentality. If there's no market for Trevor, why not explore a trade for...

Edited by Jham

Provisional Member

You can open up Roster space without dumping plouffe. You unnecessarily limit your options falling into that mentality. If there's no market for Trevor, why not explore a trade for...

I don't understand. Are you suggesting they should've traded Sano or Kepler, since they were the 2 most effected by keeping Plouffe? Why would they have done that? Plouffe isn't good. 

I don't understand. Are you suggesting they should've traded Sano or Kepler, since they were the 2 most effected by keeping Plouffe? Why would they have done that? Plouffe isn't good. 

There was one really easy way to avoid putting Sano in the OF:

Do not sign Byung-Ho Park.

Problem solved.

This wasn't only a Plouffe vs. Sano issue. Had other roster decisions been made in the offseason, it becomes a non-issue.

Problem solved.

This wasn't only a Plouffe vs. Sano issue. Had other roster decisions been made in the offseason, it becomes a non-issue.

Exactly

Provisional Member

Problem solved.

Right, but that happened pretty early on in the offseason, so I'm just taking that as a given.  That could've theoretically worked out ok if they had any notion of a plan beyond that (and if Park could hit a Major League fastball)

Edited by alarp33

Park's 1st year has been a disappointment. Hopefully that's not another remorseful signing from overseas. 

I think this infield roster crunch is going to solve itself one way or the other. Park could decide to go back to Korea, or Vargas could be sold to an overseas team. My prediction is one of them will be gone this off-season. 

Predictions made, which is ridiculous since we don't even know who the GM is:

Park is in the minors or on another team next year.

Dozier is here, and the 2B next year

Plouffe is traded or non-tendered this off season.

Sano is the 3B next spring and also plays DH (no OF, w/o an in game emergency)

Mauer is the 1B next year.

Vargas is the regular DH.

Polanco plays SS, 3B, DH, 2B (from most games to least)

Escobar is the bench guy, and plays SS when Polanco does not