Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Article: Give Alex Meyer A Chance To Start

On Tuesday the Twins delivered some big news, announcing the long-awaited promotion of top pitching prospect Jose Berrios. He'll take the hill against the Indians on Wednesday night.

A day earlier, another of the organization's most highly-rated young arms was promoted from Triple-A, albeit to much less fanfare.

Despite a successful start to the season in Rochester's rotation, most believe that Alex Meyer will end up in the bullpen. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. But if he's going to get a chance to maximize his value in the majors, there's no better time than now to give him that opportunity.When the Twins sent Meyer to Triple-A in March, they decided they were going to give him one more shot as a starting pitcher. He spent the bulk of last year as a reliever and it appeared that might be his role going forward, but the promise he once showed as a starter has not totally been forgotten.

Granted, it's two starts (and one long relief appearance), but Meyer went to Rochester and did absolutely everything that could have been asked of him. The big righty pitched to a 1.04 ERA in 17 1/3 innings, notching 19 strikeouts and – most importantly – only four walks. In each of his starts he worked at least into the seventh inning with good pitch economy.

His sharp early performance draws a stark contrast against last year, when finding the strike zone was a constant challenge for Meyer from start to finish. Whether the 26-year-old has figured something out or is just on a nice run, it's worth taking a look.

Finding room for Meyer to make at least a couple starts shouldn't be hard. Kyle Gibson and Ervin Santana were both placed on the disabled list Tuesday, and while Berrios and Tyler Duffey will fill their spots for now, there's another purportedly healthy starter in the rotation who could be bumped.

Tommy Milone has failed to complete five innings in three of his four starts. Given his status as a 29-year-old with limited upside on a one-year contract, there isn't a whole lot to gain by continuing to run him out. Moving Milone to the bullpen as a long reliever would be prudent, especially with that unit taking a beating recently.

Give Meyer a few starts and see what he can do. The 7-14 Twins don't have much to lose. If he catches on, and approximates what he was doing in the minors in any way, it could be crucial toward rallying Minnesota back into the mix, and it would also be a monumental development in the big picture.

If he scuffles, then a return to the bullpen and a full commitment to that path would be in order. But why not run him out there and find out what you've got? At this point, defining the roles and true capabilities of the young incoming wave should be the top priority of 2016 for the Twins.

Click here to view the article

We've had some crazy good months of May, often spurred by young players.  Plus, it is clear to me that both Berrios and Meyer will put fans in the seats.  Raise your hand if you had a rotation of Hughes, Nolasco, Duffey, Berrios and Meyer on May 1.

I think the point has been made, too, about Tommy Milone's splits first and second and third time through the order.  We need a long reliever.  No one doubts that Meyer's stuff is far superior.  Other than the "let's have one left-hander in the rotation" bias, this move makes total sense.  Excellent point, too, about contracts and long-term thinking.

On a completely unrelated point, rambling through the mlb stats page, it makes one feel better if you just look at the 7-day stats rather than the season-long stats.  Trending in the right direction for many players.  Team needs at least a few guys with BAs between .250-.290 (and I don't mean the guys hitting over .300 dropping....)

Berrios starting. This is the night we'be been waiting for since about last June. Just checked the weather and it'll be 50 degrees, a 50% chance and 17 MPH winds. For a kid from Puerto Rico it'll be winter ball. Good luck Berrios! Will be interesting to see if he brings out a crowd despite the weather.

Edited by Ncgo4

If things go well for Berrios, i.e. not a big bullpen game, Meyer needs (I mean literally) to start Friday or get shuffled back down.  I can't imagine all this sitting and anticipating is any good for the mental side.  Maybe TR needs to send a strongly implied telegram to Molitor.

On the other hand, at this point, I think I'd just go ahead and name him closer. 

This makes too much sense for the Twins to do it.

The guy earned the chance to continue starting. If that meant he stayed in Rochester a little bit longer, so be it.

I think the way the Twins are handling call ups to their top prospects is becoming a problem. Shuffling the likes of Kepler and Polanco back and forth seems counter-intuitive to their growth. Buxton was rushed to the majors (TWICE!!!) and lost development time. I can see the same thing happening to Berrios in a week or so.

As for Duffey, he has proven himself in AAA. He needs to stick with the Twins in some capacity. He and Meyer need to fill a starting slot and high-leverage relief role is some combo.

Decisions should be made with an eye on the next playoff team. So of course Meyer should start.

We should also stop messing with these guys. Meyer was on a roll after a terrible 2015 in which he was moved to the pen. Then he starts the year with three dominant starts and we promote him to the big league pen, where it looks like we are afraid to use him. Baffling is literally the only word I can use.

I think Milone has been undervalued his entire time here and probably his entire career.    Four starts isn't enough to pass judgement.    I am reasonably sure that after another 4 starts the pecking order will look different.   However, a move to the bullpen is not the same as a demotion to the minors and I would also like to see Meyer while he is hot.     6 man rotation? 

Decisions should be made with an eye on the next playoff team. So of course Meyer should start.

We should also stop messing with these guys. Meyer was on a roll after a terrible 2015 in which he was moved to the pen. Then he starts the year with three dominant starts and we promote him to the big league pen, where it looks like we are afraid to use him. Baffling is literally the only word I can use.

Actually it was only two starts, but he successfully piggy-backed in 4 IP of long relief in his first AAA appearance. Which makes it more baffling that he didn't come in for Milone on Monday night.

The messing around continues. It looks like Duffey is the only one of the 3 call-ups with a specifically defined, although temporary, role.

Either Meyer or Duffey or both will be shuffled back down to Rochester.  Santana is only going to be out for a week.  I'm surprised we haven't seen Meyer.  There seems to be glaring holes in the pen.  If I'm Moli, I'm giving Meyer every chance to take at least Tonkin's spot, and possibly Jepsen's.

Either Meyer or Duffey or both will be shuffled back down to Rochester. Santana is only going to be out for a week. I'm surprised we haven't seen Meyer. There seems to be glaring holes in the pen. If I'm Moli, I'm giving Meyer every chance to take at least Tonkin's spot, and possibly Jepsen's.

Meyer should go to the rotation. Milone a long role. The weakest reliever is voted off the island.

I would let Meyer develop into a late inning Bullpen weapon. Given his pitch mix and tendency to lose his delivery over time, I think that's his best use. I think the Twins see it that way too, and had him start in Rochester simply to get some innings in.

When Santana returns, he can take the place of any starter, including Milone. Same for Gibson. The bigger need is dominant relief. I vote trying to get Meyer successfully into that role.

Actually it was only two starts, but he successfully piggy-backed in 4 IP of long relief in his first AAA appearance. Which makes it more baffling that he didn't come in for Milone on Monday night.

The messing around continues. It looks like Duffey is the only one of the 3 call-ups with a specifically defined, although temporary, role.

Is there any other reason for Meyer to be called up, other than picking up the slack for a bullpen that was all but depleted?  Short start for Milone, Meyer stretched out as a starter. .......

I agree that Meyer should get a start...sooner rather than later, but it seems to me that the only place Molitor intends to put him in is in a blowout game as a reliever. I think the smart move is for Meyer to start in Milone's next start. The worst** that could happen is that he gives you something less than 5 innings, which is no different than what you have gotten from Milone.

**I know that's not the literal worst thing that could happen. A yet to be observed meteor could come crashing to earth wiping out the dinosaurs that are secretly hidden away in a secure facility in southwestern Australia, which could result in Meyer only going 2 or 3 innings, so bear with my usage of "worst" and focus on my point that I'd like to see Meyer start instead of Milone because Milone hasn't been very good and Meyer needs a shot.

I would let Meyer develop into a late inning Bullpen weapon. Given his pitch mix and tendency to lose his delivery over time, I think that's his best use. I think the Twins see it that way too, and had him start in Rochester simply to get some innings in.

When Santana returns, he can take the place of any starter, including Milone. Same for Gibson. The bigger need is dominant relief. I vote trying to get Meyer successfully into that role.

Too many guys in the Twins pipeline being groomed for those premier late inning roles. Meyer was acquired with the intent on securing a future starting ace, they need to play the string out on that prospect for a bit longer.

Chargois is the guy who should get the next chance for filling the need in the pen.

Edited by jokin