Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Article: Game Thread: Twins v Indians, 9/22 @ 7:10pm CT

Riverbrian

It was Booker T and the MG's who said Time is Tight. Actually... They didn't so much say it. They more or less played it brilliantly but it felt tight and timely at the time.

Where were we?

Oh Yeah... Time is Tight. Just 13 games to go and significant ground to make up and facing one of the hottest 2nd half teams.

No Problem at all

Here are some things to think about:

1. Time -- Let's be honest... It's the thing to think about. I have no doubt in my mind that the Twins could catch the Astros if they just had more time. For example if the Twins were allowed to keep going until 2017, I'm pretty sure that we would catch someone and get in. However... the Clock stops at 162 games. This arbitrary number was chosen and set by someone. How bout 160 games?... Nope... too little. How Bout 170?... Nope... too many. Someone suggested 162 and Goldilocks though it was just right.

2. 13 Games to go and 3 games behind -- So what will it take... I don't know... it depends on Houston. If the Twins go 13-0 the rest of the way. It would force Houston to go 9-2 to tie. It would even pressure the Yankees to go 7-6 just to tie. As you can see... the solution is simple... just win and the Twins are most likely in. Wait a Second... You don't want to win 13 in a row going into a 1 game wild card playoff. Winning 14 in a row is just too hard. OK... lose one game... go 12-1 and make Houston go 8-3. Yeah... that's it.

3. The Indians -- It was Columbus who called them Indians because he thought he landed in India. If you've ever been to Cleveland you can see why he was confused. Overcrowded... people regularly bathing in a dirty river.

4. The Indians Baseball Team -- Probably a too little too late but Cleveland has been one of the best teams in the 2nd half and this has pushed them to the .500 mark. If you are wondering what makes them tick, it's the pitching... Kluber, Carrasco and Salazar are a pretty talented threesome.

5. Squirrels telling time -- I was at an event this weekend in one of the local parks, just standing next to someone as he was head down reading texts on his cell phone. I looked over to my left and about 20 squirrels went chasing after a rabbit. The Rabbit took off running and sure enough the squirrels were following and chasing. I have no idea what it was about but I said to my text checking friend. "Look... it's about 20 to 1." He didn't look up from his phone but he said... "Really... I'm late... I gotta go." It took me a second to realize why he thought he was late, but afterwards I laughed for the rest of the afternoon thinking about it.

--------------------
Game-time forecast: 69 deg F, mostly cloudy, 1% chance of precipitation, winds from the ENE at 5mph.

Lineups:

INDIANS
Kipnis 2B
Lindor SS
Brantley LF
Santana 1B
Chisenhall RF
Gomes C
Almonte CF
Johnson DH
Ramirez 3B

Salazar P

TWINS
Hicks CF
Dozier 2B
Mauer 1B
Sano DH
Plouffe 3B
Rosario LF
Hunter RF
Suzuki C
Escobar SS

Santana P

Go Twins! Play ball!

Click here to view the article

3. The Indians -- It was Columbus who called them Indians because he thought he landed in India. If you've ever been to Cleveland you can see why he was confused. Overcrowded... people regularly bathing in a dirty river.

That's not a river, it's Lake Erie. 

What you are mistaking for the opposite bank of a river is maybe just a huge pile of floating junk?

This is the team that scares me right now.  Good starters, hot rookie SS, Terry Francona in the dugout...  and right on our heels.

Oh, yes, and how nice we have the young Mr. Kepler up with the big club, so he can take a seat next to Mr. Vargas and watch the old guys swing in futility.  Yippee.

For some completely inexplicable reason, you instead made me think of this song. Maybe it's a sign Buxton is going to bunt.

Sweet trip down memory lane-  When I was a tyke, I wanted to be a Shondell.  Didn't really know what that was, so went back to astronaut.  Now I'm just spacy.

Edited by David HK

"Really... I'm late... I gotta go." It took me a second to realize why he thought he was late, but afterwards I laughed for the rest of the afternoon thinking about it.

Gotta read these more carefully.    So it was the person who had the phone and said he was late for a very important date...

http://terrymalloyspigeoncoop.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/alice-in-wonderland-white-rabbit2.jpg

What's the over/under on which inning Molitor has to separate the Mauer brothers and threaten that if they don't sit still and be quiet he'll "turn the dugout around and everyone can just wait until next year to go to Yellowstone..."  ?

Gotta read these more carefully.    So it was the person who had the phone and said he was late for a very important date...

http://terrymalloyspigeoncoop.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/alice-in-wonderland-white-rabbit2.jpg

I parsed it right the first time (but that just made the sentence more fun to read) but yeah, i also thought of the works o' Lewis Carol, and wondered what would happen if 20 squirrels found a nut labelled "eat me"

Lindor is only 21? He can't be ready. Why are the Indians burning his service time?

It's in his rookie contract, along with paid time off to fulfill the terms of his wicked huge truffle endorsement deal...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_VkH5dptS54Y/TVInMVOU9qI/AAAAAAAADBQ/q6axyvZ8-u0/s400/lindt.png