Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Article: Latest on the Twins Manager Search

It's been less than a week since the Twins announced Ron Gardenhire's dismissal, but already there has been a dizzying whirlwind of reports and rumors regarding who might replace him as manager.

Struggling to keep up? No worries. Read on and we'll get you up to speed on all the latest substantive whisperings about the team's search for a skipper successor.* Bob Nightengale of USA Today tweeted on Friday that "Doug Mientkiewicz has emerged as the favorite, ever so slightly over Paul Molitor." Earlier in the week, Nightengale had named Mientkiewicz and Molitor as finalists for the job.

Although he's a national reporter, Nightengale has been the first to break Twins news multiple times in the past, leading me to believe he has a pretty good source within the organization.

I first brought up Mientkiewicz as a managerial candidate in mid-September and reiterated my support for him last week, so I'd be pleased if they're indeed leaning in his direction. I'd also be extremely surprised, because he'd be a pretty unconventional choice.

* Then again, La Velle E. Neal III of the Star Tribune tweeted later on Friday that Molitor "has had multiple interviews with the Twins." If that's true, it's hard not to view the Hall of Famer as clear front-runner. Multiple meetings within a week -- especially when they've only publicly interviewed one other candidate -- suggests aggressive interest.

Of course, I believe that Molitor's real interview to be the next manager was the entire 2014 season. Some believe that was implied when he was added to Gardenhire's staff as a seventh coach. He's been in the dugout and in the clubhouse all year, so I think Twins execs have a decent idea of what to expect from him at this point.

* Just because Molitor and Mientkiewicz are drawing the early press, we shouldn't assume this is a two-horse race. Jim Mandelaro, who covers the Rochester Red Wings for the Democrat & Chronicle, wrote the following last week:

A source within the Minnesota Twins' organization confirms the club will interview Red Wings manager Gene Glynn in the upcoming weeks for its managerial vacancy.

Glynn, like Mientkiewicz, has done an impressive job of turning around a struggling minor-league affiliate, and he worked as a scout for the exemplary Rays in the six years prior to taking over in Rochester.

For those reasons, and others, I think he's one of the more intriguing names to be considered, but I wonder if the Twins would view him as a tough sell. He doesn't offer fans the familiarity of a Molitor or Mientkiewicz, nor does he offer the novelty of a name hired from outside the organization.

Obviously I don't think the potential for a subdued public reaction should rule out a qualified candidate, but I do wonder how heavily that's being weighed given the waning fan interest.

* What about external candidates? Terry Ryan gave his assurance that the team would be casting a wide net in its search for Gardy's replacement, and explicitly stated that they'd look outside the organization as well as within. But we've heard little buzz so far about outside names.

Well, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review did report on Sunday that John Russell is expected to interview for the position. Russell (pictured above with former Twin J.J. Hardy) has served as bench coach for the Orioles since 2011, and was manager of the Pirates from 2008 through 2010. He compiled an ugly 186-299 record in his three seasons there, including a 105-loss campaign that led to his removal.

Working with catchers is considered to be a speciality for Russell. That could appeal to the Twins, who will be working to determine Joe Mauer's long-term successor behind the plate.

The Twins would need to wait for Baltimore's postseason run to end before they can interview Russell. That run will continue for now, after the O's completed a first-round sweep of the Tigers on Sunday.

* Stay tuned to Twins Daily all week for the latest news on the Twins' manager search. We'll be on top of each new rumor as it develops.

Click here to view the article

Could Russell be a strong coaching candidate? I'm thinking so.

I felt, initially, perhaps unfairly, that Glynn was sort of a throw in candidate due to age, despite his outstanding job at the milb level. But the more I read about his time in the well respected Rays organization leads me to believe he is a more serious contender than I originally believed. Or at least, a more viable ML bench coach.

I felt, initially, perhaps unfairly, that Glynn was sort of a throw in candidate due to age, despite his outstanding job at the milb level. .

Likewise, Doc, I've felt Douggie has been the throw in candidate -----though I might be pleasantly surprised if he were the surprise hire if Glynn and Molly for whatever reason weren't the pick.

I guess that makes me an inside-candidate guy :)

Though I don't really consider Glynn an inside company guy. He's been with a half dozen organizations in all sorts of roles. I think that diversity of experience is a plus.

Doug is just too lacking in experience and temperament in my opinion to take over quite yet. That KSTP interview sounds like he's headed to AA which sounds about right. 

I would be very surprised the way they've handled Molitor if he isn't the next manager.  You don't treat a hall-of-famer to multiple interviews and then name someone else.  I would be shocked if Molitor allowed himself to be handled this way as well.

As far as manager goes, I also believe that Molitor will be the next skipper. What's more intriguing, in my opinion, is who the new manager will have as to work with as coaches. Personally, I would love to see Gene Glynn as the bench coach, Jake Mauer as the 3rd base coach, and then bring in from the outside for pitching and hitting coaches. From hearing how Mauer has been as a minor league manager, I strongly believe that he has the ability to be a MLB manager, and likely one for the Twins. Might as well give him a Gardenhire-like entrance to MLB at third base. 

Interesting how Dave Martinez has disappeared from the conversation this week.  He would check a couple of the boxes that many have been asking for: Latin/Caribbean manager, and from outside the organization.  I would hope that his name at least comes up for an interview this week.

I think the new manager needs to give strong consideration to retaining Bruno as the hitting coach.  6th in runs scored and improved approaches for several players as the season went on.  I'm somewhat indifferent on the rest of the staff.

As far as manager goes, I also believe that Molitor will be the next skipper. What's more intriguing, in my opinion, is who the new manager will have as to work with as coaches. Personally, I would love to see Gene Glynn as the bench coach, Jake Mauer as the 3rd base coach, and then bring in from the outside for pitching and hitting coaches. From hearing how Mauer has been as a minor league manager, I strongly believe that he has the ability to be a MLB manager, and likely one for the Twins. Might as well give him a Gardenhire-like entrance to MLB at third base. 

I think it will by Molitor as well. I think one or two future manager types on the bench makes snnse.  But I just don't know how they can't bring Brunansky back as the hitting coach.  5th in runs with that offense?

I am (hopefully) predicting the Twins will go for Dougy over Molly. Both Kelly and Gardy were relatively young when they took over the manager position, with positive results. Gene Glynn is out because it is very hard to attach a "y" to the end of his name.

I am (hopefully) predicting the Twins will go for Dougy over Molly. Both Kelly and Gardy were relatively young when they took over the manager position, with positive results. Gene Glynn is out because it is very hard to attach a "y" to the end of his name.

I just think in this day and age, a believer in applying numbers to the game should be a requirement.  Doug's comments were discouraging. I could not support a guy that is only "open" to new ways of thinking.  I am guessing Gardy would say he is open too.

I think it will by Molitor as well. I think one or two future manager types on the bench makes snnse.  But I just don't know how they can't bring Brunansky back as the hitting coach.  5th in runs with that offense?

My bad. While in the mind set of thinking of possible coaches, I forgot about Bruno. I am all in favor of keeping Brunansky as hitting coach. He has gotten very good reviews from current players who are now showing results, and he should definitely be a part of next year's staff. So i guess I would be very supportive of Molitor as manager, Bruno as hitting coach, Glynn as bench coach, Mauer as third base coach, an outsider as pitching coach, and maybe retain Steinbach for first base coach? I really don't know what I would do with Steinbach right now.

If Mientkiewicz becomes manager, do we have a replay of last season with aging ex-Twins coming in? I'm sure Dougie would like to bring in his boys Torii, A.J., and LaTroy.

Although to be fair they would almost assuredly be better than Bartlett, Kubel, and Guerrier.

Edited by notoriousgod71

Interesting how Dave Martinez has disappeared from the conversation this week.  He would check a couple of the boxes that many have been asking for: Latin/Caribbean manager, and from outside the organization.  I would hope that his name at least comes up for an interview this week.

I like Dave Martinez as well but does he fit the Latin/Caribbean attribute? He was born in Brooklyn, NY, so I'm not sure. Also would like to see the Twins interview Charlie Montoyo. He definitely meets the Latin requirement--he coached the 2009 World Baseball Classic Puerto Rico team--and he's been a great manager for the Rays AAA affiliate, Durham Bulls. They have won their division 7 of the 8 years he's been at the helm. He has compiled a 633-515 record (.551) over 8 years.

Edited by powrwrap

I'm not really following the logic of hiring either Glynn or Mientkiewicz as manager based on their success with developing players in the minors.  With the Pohlads keeping the purse strings tight, I would think the Twins would be better served with them in the minors developing more players.  And has Molitor really expressed interest in the job or even another managerial position earlier? 

I'm still saying purge all but Bruno and hire from the outside.

One thing to remember is that just like a trade needs two sides to complete, so does the job search. The Twins may have been in contact with some of the people from other organizations that have been mentioned but they may have been politely turned down. Some of these guys may feel they are in line with their current organizations and would rather stay put.

Provisional Member

I get frustrated hearing about how the Twins need to replace everyone, or nearly all, with the outside people.  That ignores the attributes of those within the organization.  Surely there must be some bright people in this organization considering the success for the previous decade. 

The Twins have been bringing people from other organizations, mostly into the minor league system.  And they all are not Minnesota natives.  They just purged Gardy, so likely, we will see a change in managerial leadership and direction.  I hope that it is more substantial than subtle.  But to suggest that some of the newer guys on staff (Cuellar & Bruno) and many in the minors cannot do the job is flawed.

I have had the opportunity to interview and hire people in similar capacities and you just don't tear it it down and start over.  If one's organization is generally strong but has some defined weaknesses you look for people that can enhance those strengths while at the same time improve the weakness.  And that means getting the right person where ever he's from. 

I don't much care who is hired as manager, but I do care that he has a solid idea on the direction he would like take this team, on the field, and the type of assistants that surround.  He needs to understand the dynamics of the current roster and player system.  Good insiders can help with that.  And he needs to be able to communicate freely with TR.  And I also want the FO and new manager to be on the same page for the future.

Get someone like that and I'd be thrilled.  But I will only judge him after he's be on the job a year or more.

Edited by brvama

Provisional Member

I get frustrated hearing about how the Twins need to replace everyone, or nearly all, with the outside people.  That ignores the attributes of those within the organization.  Surely there must be some bright people in this organization considering the success for the previous decade. 

The Twins have been bringing people from other organizations, mostly into the minor league system.  And they all are not Minnesota natives.  They just purged Gardy, so likely, we will see a change in managerial leadership and direction.  I hope that it is more substantial than subtle.  But to suggest that some of the newer guys on staff (Cuellar & Bruno) and many in the minors cannot do the job is flawed.

I have had the opportunity to interview and hire people in similar capacities and you just don't tear it it down and start over.  If one's organization is generally strong but has some defined weaknesses you look for people that can enhance those strengths while at the same time improve the weakness.  And that means getting the right person where ever he's from. 

I don't much care who is hired as manager, but I do care that he has a solid idea on the direction he would like take this team, on the field, and the type of assistants that surround.  He needs to understand the dynamics of the current roster and player system.  Good insiders can help with that.  And he needs to be able to communicate freely with TR.  And I also want the FO and new manager to be on the same page for the future.

Get someone like that and I'd be thrilled.  But I will only judge him after he's be on the job a year or more.

Great post and completely agree.

I also think you hint at something that is probably coming after the next manager is hired, which will be some shakeup within the minor league staffs. Probably bigger changes coming than we realize, even if they do end up hiring Molitor or someone else currently in the organziation.

There has already been some MiL changes--the roving pitching and hitting instructors have been 'let go".

Considering the problems the Twins have had it is expected that there would be a several changes.  I am wondering when "change" will be made in Player Personnel.

When looking internally for coaching options, I see replacements everywhere except from pitching. I can see Twins keeping current coaches Brunansky and Vavra in the system, Vavra perhaps being manager at Cedar Rapids and Bruno becoming the minors hitting instructor out of Ft. Myers. I don't see Steinbach leaving the state and also not standing on the diamond, so he would be bench coach or bullpen coach. Bobby Cuellar is the only guy to consider for pitching coach, Mauer, who is manager candidate of the future, could move up the ladder to Chattanooga or Rochester, if you bright in Gene Glynn as a coach. I would also not rule out Tommy Watkins and Ivan Artega or Rudy Hernandez as coaches advancing up; the system to the big leagues. Jim Dwyer is also floating around, internally. The guy out of all of this is Scott Ullger, who was once considered a topflight managerial candidate and MIGHT be able to catch on as a minor league manager elsewhere to keep such dreams alive (which he MUST do rather than just become a coach elsewhere). Part of the manager searches is that if you go external, you are more likely to get outside coaches. If you do internally, you can advance frm within.

Provisional Member

Great post and completely agree.

I also think you hint at something that is probably coming after the next manager is hired, which will be some shakeup within the minor league staffs. Probably bigger changes coming than we realize, even if they do end up hiring Molitor or someone else currently in the organziation.

Thanks denim. It is usually standard procedure that incoming CEO/management bring in those that they want to support them. It is my hope that some of the current coaches or those in the system are given due consideration. I think a blend of inside and out makes for a quicker and more seamless transition

Certainly as Goulik says, either they're good coaches or they aren't.

You are correct on his birthplace, but I understand that Martinez does speak Spanish fluently (and has served as an unofficial translator at times).

At one time, at least, you could find YouTube footage of Darin Mastroianni giving an interview in Spanish.  Darin for manager!