Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Baseball America Staff Draft (Version 1.0): Twins Draft College Hitter

Once the college season gets underway, it’s only a matter of time before we enter Mock Draft SZN.

The good folks over at Baseball America aren’t necessarily kicking that off yet, but they’re definitely getting the pump primed with their first Staff Draft.

Image courtesy of Chris Jones-USA TODAY Sports

They carefully explain it’s not a mock draft, per se. They aren’t using any intel to try and determine who these teams are taking. They are instead taking on the role of what they would do if they were in these positions.

In this first version, they have the two stud college pitchers (Paul Skenes and Chase Dollander), the best college hitter (Dylan Crews) and the best high school hitter (Max Clark) off the board. This could very well be the reality the Twins face when they go on the clock at pick #5 in July.

In this iteration, Tom Lipari selects TCU third baseman Brayden Taylor for the Twins. Lipari says Taylor is “perhaps the best pure college bat in the country” and that he “will continue to add size and strength with time.”

A left-handed hitting third baseman, Taylor has certainly looked the part in the batter's box in his two-plus years with the Horned Frogs. He has hit at a .324/.457/.577 (1.034) clip in his career including getting off to a blistering .384/.548/.613 (1.161) start through eight games this season. Impressively, Taylor has always walked more than he has struck out. 

The knock on Taylor is that he doesn’t project to have a carrying tool. He may silence some critics, though, if he continues to tear the cover off the ball this spring. And there's been evident improvement already.

It’s not a well-kept secret that the Twins love to draft (and sometimes trade) hitters. Adding another really good hitter to a stable of them provides the depth that all organizations should love.

But who are the Twins passing on?

Taylor isn’t the biggest name (at this point) that was available to them. This scenario would have them passing on Florida OF Wyatt Langford as well as Ole Miss SS Jacob Gonzalez, both of whom could be really good options for the Twins at #5. (You can watch Gonzalez, Ole Miss, and other prospects at this weekend's Cambria Classic at US Bank Stadium.) 

So much can (and ultimately will) change in the next four months. If the draft were today, would you take Taylor?

View full article

I like a good bat as much as anyone but when picking that high getting a bat only guy would be a disappointment to me.  The bats going ahead of Taylor are both 5 tool players.  I think Langford has better speed and power with a very solid hit tool as well.  Both players seem limited by their arms though.  

I am starting to get really interested in Jacob Wilson. He could play all infield positions and likely left field if needed.  I am really into contact hitters as I feel they put more pressure on pitchers as they don't strike out much.  Those types need to control the zone to be successful but being a coaches son I am betting he is OK there as well.  If he just adds a little more power I think he adds an elite hit tool with better position flexibility than Taylor.  If the power doesn't look like it will be there then I guess it is a tough call between Langford, Taylor, Gonzalas for me but I still lean Langford since right handed power bats seem in short supply in the Twins system.

Funny, I was looking for a draft update from you, Jeremy, when I posted a topic on how Skenes would / should be the Twins’ pick just a while ago.  Now I see you’ve posted a new piece…you’re telling me Skenes might not even be available at 5!

If the first four are Skenes/Dollander/Crews/Clark, I would think Langford would be the pick.  But now I’m going to start keeping tabs on Taylor.

1 hour ago, Dman said:

I like a good bat as much as anyone but when picking that high getting a bat only guy would be a disappointment to me.  The bats going ahead of Taylor are both 5 tool players.  I think Langford has better speed and power with a very solid hit tool as well.  Both players seem limited by their arms though.  

I am starting to get really interested in Jacob Wilson. He could play all infield positions and likely left field in needed.  I am really into contact hitters as I feel they put more pressure on pitchers as they don't strike out much.  Those types need to control the zone to be successful but being a coaches son I am betting he is OK there as well.  If he just adds a little more power I think he adds an elite hit tool with better position flexibility than Taylor.  If the power doesn't look like it will be there then I guess it is a tough call between Langford, Taylor, Gonzalas for me but I still lean Langford since right handed power bats seem in short supply in the Twins system.

Because of past history, pundits like to link power college bats to MN. If Taylor can flash a pretty good glove & arm, I might bite. Saw Skenes pitch against Butler and I was impressed. Skenes is big, strong & dominate. He's on my wish list right now.

1 hour ago, AlwaysinModeration said:

Funny, I was looking for a draft update from you, Jeremy, when I posted a topic on how Skenes would / should be the Twins’ pick just a while ago.  Now I see you’ve posted a new piece…you’re telling me Skenes might not even be available at 5!

If the first four are Skenes/Dollander/Crews/Clark, I would think Langford would be the pick.  But now I’m going to start keeping tabs on Taylor.

My impression from what I've read lately is that it's a very strong draft and the top is not set yet.

Crews and Dollander came in as the most well regarded hitter and pitcher by the industry, but the talent of guys behind them is enough that they could easily be surpassed in a lot of draft rooms.

It sounds like both Skenes and Waldrep are close enough to Dollander that it wouldn't be surprising at this point for one of them to end up in the top 4 (and Dollander potentially being available at #5).

Bottom line, there is going to be someone really good available at #5.

Wyatt Langford is a 2020 3B/C/1B with a 6-1 220 lb. frame from Trenton, FL who attends Trenton. The primary third baseman has a strong and proportioned frame. Wyatt ran a 6.96 in the sixty yard dash. He has a methodical approach to ground balls on the infield, working through the ball and showed the ability to come in on slow rollers effectively. Behind the plate, he popped a 1.97 to second base. His footwork was short and clean with a consistent transfer and pretty accurate with his throws. Solid upside with repetitions. The right-handed hitter starts with an even base and sets himself up to torque hard when he fires. Wyatt has top of the scale bat speed with a loose swing and lots of length through contact. He has an intent based approach with the ability to drive balls to all parts of the park. Highest level hitting tools. Good student.
Lanford is listed as OF, 3B, C and 1B; so he's very flexible, he's durable and a great bat that can generate a lot of power. He played a lot at catcher in HS & early summer leagues. He had some pretty good pop up times. I'd be interested in converting him back to catcher. If he comes to #5, I'd take him under this premise.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Gast said:
Wyatt Langford is a 2020 3B/C/1B with a 6-1 220 lb. frame from Trenton, FL who attends Trenton. The primary third baseman has a strong and proportioned frame. Wyatt ran a 6.96 in the sixty yard dash. He has a methodical approach to ground balls on the infield, working through the ball and showed the ability to come in on slow rollers effectively. Behind the plate, he popped a 1.97 to second base. His footwork was short and clean with a consistent transfer and pretty accurate with his throws. Solid upside with repetitions. The right-handed hitter starts with an even base and sets himself up to torque hard when he fires. Wyatt has top of the scale bat speed with a loose swing and lots of length through contact. He has an intent based approach with the ability to drive balls to all parts of the park. Highest level hitting tools. Good student.
Lanford is listed as OF, 3B, C and 1B; so he's very flexible, he's durable and a great bat that can generate a lot of power. He played a lot at catcher in HS & early summer leagues. I'd be interested in converting him back to catcher. If he comes to #5, I'd take him under this premise.

If they think he can catch, count me in. 

33 minutes ago, Mike Sixel said:

If they think he can catch, count me in. 

Lanford was a natural catcher when he came to the Gators but they had a glut at catcher & INF so they sent him to the OF where he never played before. Langford was rated #3 with possibly reaching #1. I think what's holding him back is that he's playing OF with talk of maybe playing some CF. which would hurt him in his rating because of his defense there (not that he's shabby).

Likely picked   Dollander Crews

Pool of possibly available - Langford, Skenes Waldrep, Clark Gonzalez

Next Tier and wildcards - Bradfield, Lowder, Mitchell

Its too hard to follow,  but right now these are the players I am focusing on.  Langford Gonzalez are you college batters Clark has the potential to be elite.  We will have a very good pitching prospect available at our pick most likely.  Waiting to see injuries and performance.   Bradfield has elite speed,  depending how this season goes with stealing could prop him up a bit.   Lowder has the stuff.  Mitchell would be the best Catcher available.   

I don't know that I recall hearing Taylor mentioned previously. (Slipped my memory?) I don't hate the idea of a LH 3B who has a legitimate HIT tool with contact and high BB totals. All very impressive! But how legitimate is the defense there? It had better be really good to warrant a pick this high. And if I'm reading this correctly, the bat absolutely plays, but the power is questionable still at this point. Hmmm....I think there's a couple "maybes" here that scare me away from him at #5, not that he's a bad player.

Are the Twins short of RH bats in the system? At the top, we still have the young...relatively if not exactly...Larnach, Kirilloff, Wallner, and the switch hitting Lee as LH bats. Top prospect E Rodriguez also swings from the left side. And let's not forget Julien! From the RH side of things there is Lewis and Miranda. Do we want to include Jeffers? But even though they are 2-3yrs from making any sort of debut, top 20 prospects Urbina, J Rodriguez, and Mercedes are all RH bats. 

As of right now, there appears to be a trio of top college arms all worthy of top 10 consideration. I don't feel the system is barren of pitching talent at all. But since when do you ever have enough of them? And we've moved a handful of potentially good ones in trades recently. If the Twins feel confident in the potential of one of those 3...or someone who jumps up considering the college season is still early...I think this is the year to go ARM at #5.

I can't bring myself to pick a corner infielder that high unless he looks really special. And thus, I say no to Taylor. Position player wise, I'm not certain if I care about a RH bat as much as I did a few weeks ago. I just want the best 4 or 5 tool athlete who has a real HIT/CONTACT ability who can drive the ball and play good defense. Decent to good speed is a bonus. 

Unfortunately, as of now, there doesn't appear to be anyone at catcher worthy of such a high selection. But I'd be very interested in Langford at #5. As a HS catcher, can he convert back? Does he want to? Catcher is a very unique position. There has to be intelligence at that spot and a WANT to be a catcher. If he'd fully embrace a move back, he might be a really good pick there. He seems to have the ability to stick in the OF and be good there if it doesn't work out, so I don't see any risk. 

A starting pitcher is my #1 hope at this point, with the best SS/OF bat as my second choice. But Langford as a catcher/OF sounds like a really good choice.

48 minutes ago, DocBauer said:

Unfortunately, as of now, there doesn't appear to be anyone at catcher worthy of such a high selection. But I'd be very interested in Langford at #5. As a HS catcher, can he convert back? Does he want to? Catcher is a very unique position. There has to be intelligence at that spot and a WANT to be a catcher. If he'd fully embrace a move back, he might be a really good pick there. He seems to have the ability to stick in the OF and be good there if it doesn't work out, so I don't see any risk. 

Like I said he had no choice of sticking at catcher, it was OF or nothing. But of course that is the question that should be asked when contacting Langford, are you open to catching? My feeling is he'd be all for it. 

Like I said primarily, Skenes is my 1st choice but my feeling is he'll be gone.

38 minutes ago, Doctor Gast said:

Like I said he had no choice of sticking at catcher, it was OF or nothing. But of course that is the question that should be asked when contacting Langford, are you open to catching? My feeling is he'd be all for it. 

I'm not out on Waldrep either. Despite having a smaller frame than Dollander or Skenes, it sure is hard to argue with his results. And he's performed against the very best. Gut feeling, I think I like Skenes the most. And I'm liking Langford more and more. IMO, there are guys who catch. And there are guys who LOVE to catch. Think Mauer. And while there remains a huge split in regard to Jeffers, his ability and potential, the kid LOVES catching and wants to keep getting better there, as well as at the plate. 

Think about last year when there was seemingly no way Lee would fall to #8. If Dollander or Skenes fell there, as of today, I think the Twins would pounce. If not, right now, I'd be torn between Waldrep and Langford.

A lot is going to happen between now and the draft. But even then, who knows? All it takes is one surprise to have someone we love fall in our lap, just like last year.

8 hours ago, Cory Engelhardt said:

Yeah, for me, if one of Dollander, Crews, Langford, Clark or Skenes is there at 5, that’s my pick. This is obviously subject to change, and certainly fun to follow

I will bet any amount of money that one of Dollander, Crews, Langford, Clark or Skenes will be there at 5.

On 3/4/2023 at 2:18 PM, Doctor Gast said:
Lanford is listed as OF, 3B, C and 1B; so he's very flexible, he's durable and a great bat that can generate a lot of power. He played a lot at catcher in HS & early summer leagues. He had some pretty good pop up times. I'd be interested in converting him back to catcher. If he comes to #5, I'd take him under this premise.

It's a very interesting idea.  I wonder how much time they would want to spend trying to have their top pick catch when you would hope his bat would move quickly, and he also has enough speed to probably play a passable center and be plus in a corner.

That said, turning him into a decent catcher would really maximize his value.

On 3/4/2023 at 4:50 PM, Doctor Gast said:

I've checked different '23 MLB mock drafts. A lot of these players are all over the place but Langford is pretty constant at #3 some at #1. So at this point we may have a better chance getting Skenes or even Dollander over Langford. But it's still early, it'll be exciting. Plus you never know how PIT will draft.