Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Joe Pohlad and the Next Generation of Twins Ownership

Twins Daily Contributor

MINNEAPOLIS - The role of executive chair of the Minnesota Twins changed hands this offseason with Jim Pohlad retiring from the role and his nephew, Joe Pohlad, taking over for him on November 28, 2022. Joe Pohlad moves up from his role as the team’s executive vice president in brand strategy and growth. 

Image courtesy of Theo Tollefson

Jim Pohlad will still be involved with the Twins to a degree but as his 70th birthday approaches next month, he decided it was time for him to pass his day-to-day roles to Joe Pohlad. Jim Pohlad will still be the team’s representative in ownership for any league matters. 

Many Twins fans ponder what will be different with Joe Pohlad compared to Jim Pohlad. From the first three months on the job, it’s already apparent to some fans that Joe is more public-facing and involved with the front office.

For starters, Dan Hayes of the Athletic wrote in his piece on Joe Pohlad (published February 14) that, unlike his uncle and grandfather’s time as the Twins chairman, he will be keeping an office at Target Field. 

On top of that, Joe Pohlad was heavily involved in making sure the Twins brought back superstar shortstop Carlos Correa and gave him the largest contract in team history. 

“I can think of no better way to articulate the seamless transition from Jim, his uncle to Joe than what we just went through,” said Derek Falvey during Correa’s press conference on January 11. “Ultimately going back to March and the contract we came up with, and then this offseason. Joe's been a part of those conversations for the last five plus years, at least that I've been here. So I expected that but Joe's patience was matched in a similar way, what Scott [Boras] and Carlos were showing, but also that persistence and that desire to find a way to get to this outcome.” 

Later during the press conference, Twins Daily co-owner John Bonnes followed up on this quote from Falvey asking Joe Pohlad if the large contract for Correa was a sign of things to come with future free agent deals.

Joe Pohlad responded saying, “We'll take that on a case-by-case basis. Like Derek said earlier, we're in constant communication, and we're always looking at ways to make our team better. So if those opportunities come forward, then we'll evaluate that [them] then.”

While Joe Pohlad has had a more active role in team transactions than his uncle in the last five years according to Falvey, he still does not want to become or be seen as an owner “who’s always meddling,” as Hayes wrote in the same article on February 14. 

Joe Pohlad’s interaction in the team’s baseball operations since returning to the front office in 2018 has not come without experience. He spent time as an assistant in the baseball operations department beginning in 2007. His experience there, which not many owners in Major League Baseball have had, sheds light that he is willing to shed the common trope Twins fans attribute to his family; the “Cheap Pohlads.”

When asked individually at the January 11 press conference if Correa’s re-signing shows critical fans that ownership is committed to building the team for a championship, Joe Pohlad responded, “I hope so. I think how we view it, or at least how I view it, is this the best route for us in order to get to where we want to be, which is a competitive team that can compete for a World Series?. Ultimately, the goal is to win and is every move we make going to add to that and achieve that goal? And this [signing] is gonna do that.”

Joe Pohlad was built up in the Twins organization to be fitted for this role. He’s worked in a variety of roles within the Twins in anticipation of the day when this role was  bestowed on him. 

In an era of Major League Baseball where the reputations of team owners usually bring negative connotations to their franchises, Joe Pohlad may be the outlier. Especially when compared to the ownership of teams such as the Houston Astros’ Jim Crane, the Cincinnati Reds’ Phil Castellini, and the Baltimore Orioles’ John Angelos. 

Joe Pohlad is in a similar boat as Castellini and Angelos with other family members (specifically the fathers of Castellini and Angelos), who are still living and have the ownership of the team in their name. Unlike the two though, Joe Pohlad has not made any comments that have had fanbases question their commitments to their franchises or the game of baseball. 

As the first full season with Joe Pohlad at the helm warms up in Ft. Myers for spring training, he has demonstrated many reasons for Twins fans to hope things are changing for the better. Maybe even enough to made the phrase, “Cheap Pohlads” be heard less often as fans return to Target Field for the 2023 season. 

View full article

Whether it's the Pohlads or Falvine or the combination,  I like what they have done this year as a whole.  The starting staff looks better than we've seen in many years.  We have a better than average defense in my opinion, an offense with very good potential.  Plus our depth looks very very good.  Looking forward to an exciting season.  See you at the ballpark.

He just sat down in the chair... Go get em Joe. 

The organization is in pretty solid shape IMO. I believe that they are progressing in the right direction. 

If the Twins can develop young arms... I think they are and therefore will. The organization will remain in solid shape. 

I have no expectation that the Twins will ever be Padres like. However, If I was a life long Padres fan... I wouldn't have had the expectation that the Padres would become Padres like either.  

Go Twins!!! 

Jim Pohlad was a businessman who inherited the role of Twin Chair from his father. 

Joe has been groomed for his role as chairman since graduating from Boston College in the early 2000's.  Between graduation and joining the Twins in 2007, Joe was working at the League offices in New York.  I am not aware of what his job/responsibilites were while with the League, but it certainly provided valuable experience and contacts when moving back to the Twin Cities.  With 15 years of experience the Pohlad who is now in charge is a 'baseball man.'

My assumption is that he has quite a few siblings and cousins who could have been under consideration over the years to be put in charge of this portion of the family businesses. My assumption is also that he was identified fairly early on as the most capable successor to his uncle. He has his position in part because he's a family member, and I suppose you could refer to what he has done during the last 20 years or so as "being groomed", but I prefer to think of it as working to acquire as much knowledge and experience in both the business of baseball and the game itself as he can in order to be able to handle this responsibility as well as possible.

Hopefully, Joe Pohlad can fix the issue with the team's TV contract and broadcast "partner", get them into a better position for streaming Twins baseball, and position themselves to generate better local revenues and continue to have them spending consistently in the middle of the pack or better on payroll.

I will say, it's always better to have an owner (or lead from the ownership group, or whatever the setup is) who likes baseball, and Joe Pohlad certainly seems to care about it. I hope the Pohlad Family looks to the Rooneys in the NFL as their model for a family ownership of a professional sports team.

About a year ago it seems like the organization made a large pivot in strategy and seemingly are addressing several of the long held valid gripes dedicated fans have had.  I'm split on how much can be attributed to the new owner in charge, our new assistant GM Correa or the combination of the two.  A strong voice in a new ear is very persuasive.  Boras is also giving good advise to help his clients. I don't count the first Correa signing as the change seems to have followed that.  They were still trying Archer and Bundy at the time after all.

It really started with being aggressive with prospects at the deadline.  Even though it didn't work perfectly the moves were exactly what was needed for the season.  While the offseason felt like a meandering walk in the woods at times they got their guy at every turn somehow.  They deserve massive credit for that even if you want to poke holes in how they did it.  I have a very different opinion of the Mets situation that can't be discussed in open media but the Twins nailed the value of the player from the start.  They won an awkward situation with their approach.  I struggle to see how anyone gives the offseason less than an A.

In game changes remain to be seen but they are openly talking about adjusting the approach.  Brooks Lee will see MLB action in the Bregman role if he stays on track.  They have flipped to embrace trading value they have developed (hitters) to fill holes, mainly starting pitching.  The #5 pick this year has a chance to be an ace that we could see in September or early next year.  I expect them to draft several more college shortstop types after that not to being waiting in the wings but to trade to fill needs.  We have roster debates where the winner will have to be playing well rather than options available. 

Old Twins do none of this, even under this front office.

I will readily admit that they have been lucky in a few areas.  The draft with Lee falling in our laps and the 5th pick this year were very fortunate.  The Correa situation involved a lot of good luck and karma.  Having all the injured assets seemingly past the worst of it at the same time is fortunate.  None of that matters when evaluating the front office.  In business, we are judged only superficiality by results.  The proper judgement and evaluation is in the process and doing the right things to position yourselves when luck strikes and take advantage. 

The Skor North season preview did a pretty good job of laying out why they are so pessimistic about the organization but failed to mention or realize that the team had made a meaningful significant change in nearly every item they mentioned.  It felt like Mackey wants in but

Buy stock in this organization.  They are hitting the peak of the competence/luck curve and are positioned as well as anyone for the next 5 years. 

9 hours ago, Riverbrian said:

He just sat down in the chair... Go get em Joe. 

The organization is in pretty solid shape IMO. I believe that they are progressing in the right direction. 

If the Twins can develop young arms... I think they are and therefore will. The organization will remain in solid shape. 

I have no expectation that the Twins will ever be Padres like. However, If I was a life long Padres fan... I wouldn't have had the expectation that the Padres would become Padres like either.  

Go Twins!!! 

If the Vikings and Timberwolves and Wild all left town the Twins could gain enough revenue to approach the payroll tax levels I’m sure.  That’s what happened to the Pads with the Chargers leaving town.  Add the owner is willing to spend adds the extra 50 million or so and also the sold out season.  

16 hours ago, Jocko87 said:

Buy stock in this organization.  They are hitting the peak of the competence/luck curve and are positioned as well as anyone for the next 5 years. 

I’m not quite there yet. The pieces certainly are there for a solid open window over the next half decade - as you eloquently pointed out partly by luck (getting Correa and Lee were both incredibly lucky and both could be the true anchors of this team during that window) and partly by competence.

But this front office and coaching staff have yet to deliver one playoff game victory.  They have not, for the most part, been able to develop the talent they’ve been given or acquired to the most of that talent’s abilities.

The key to a good, long open window for our small/mid-market Twins will always be to capitalize on the young talent when still cheap while augmenting the team with select, more expensive FAs. We will see what our day-to-day operational leadership can do with the outstanding young talent now on the cusp,

My advice to The Nephew is to demand accountability of his FO and coaching staff for the commitment of talent, capital, infrastructure, and opportunities our solid ownership provides them. 

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

If the Vikings and Timberwolves and Wild all left town the Twins could gain enough revenue to approach the payroll tax levels I’m sure.  That’s what happened to the Pads with the Chargers leaving town.  Add the owner is willing to spend adds the extra 50 million or so and also the sold out season.  

I agree. The entertainment dollar only goes so far. The sponsorship dollar doesn't have to shared. 

Perhaps the most important point. It's a business model that hasn't worked yet. It's still in the "let's what happens" phase much like Joe Pohlad is. 😉