Twins Daily
  • Create Account

New Logos

Karbo

I don't remember which game it was but was watching the away broadcast and the announcers both commented on the M looking like Miami and if we're paying Miami for it or got in the trade with Lopez. Not a great sign when people outside the organization immediately jump to another team when seeing your logo

17 minutes ago, danielp19653 said:

I don't remember which game it was but was watching the away broadcast and the announcers both commented on the M looking like Miami and if we're paying Miami for it or got in the trade with Lopez. Not a great sign when people outside the organization immediately jump to another team when seeing your logo

I mean, it's just a sans serif "M". It doesn't even really look like Miami's logo, it's just the same letter.

Verified Member

The new M logo is a sad attempt to replicate the Northstars logo. And what other team wears such a bold state map on their sleeve? Please forgive me for being negative but I think that's lame. Do they think that baseball fans need a lesson in geography while watching the game?

For me it's the version with clashing colors for an outline, that makes me think "Marlins."  (Sorry, I don't know how to make these images smaller, for side-by-side comparison.)  Obviously when you see them together you can pick out differences - it's not orange and turquoise, it's an orangish-red and some darker shade of blue.  And not all the Twins (or Marlins) versions have the outline.  But just being shown a hat with an M, of roughly the same angle to the lines?  I think Marlins. 

Or for that matter, Milwaukee, or Montana, or Missoula Montana, or ...

mens-new-era-navy-minnesota-twins-2023-s

FF_777326ALT1_full.jpg%26w=2000&f=1&nofb

It is weird how quickly everyone goes to the Marlins with the "M" logo.  It's not even their current logo but the 2012-2019 ones that everyone is thinking of, and even then it doesn't really look the same besides the fact that it is a capital M.  My mind immediately went there when I first saw it too, so there is obviously some Marlins brand association still at work. Maybe shows that the Marlins actually made a mistake going from a logo that everyone recognizes to something where no one knows what it looks like. 

Anyway, I agree that the TC is still the gold standard.  I still have some nostalgia for the lowercase m ones but I'm not sure the new M isn't actually objectively better.  I actually do like the new font on the jerseys.  The new M hat has grown on me slightly and I think there is probably some tweak to the M+star layout that probably looks better but I'm not sure what it is

The white uniforms have grown on me a lot, I did not like the white jersey the first time I saw it, but with the red belts, and especially the multicolor batting helmets, I think it looks really good on the field.

I go back and forth on the M, I don't really like it on the caps, but I think it looks really good on the matte batting helmets.

Overall the Twins did not prioritize what I thought they should prioritize - Making sure that the uniforms are instantly easy to differentiate from every other team's uniforms at a glance. I hate seeing a video clip on Twitter or Youtube and seeing a red or navy uniform and thinking I'm looking at a Twins player, only to realize it's someone from the Guardians, Nationals, Angels, Red Sox, etc. Maybe the new font for the numbers will help (the distinctive font definitely helps me always identify the Blue Jays). Maybe they did the best they could without going really wacky or changing the team colors (which I advocate due to oversaturation even though I know it would make a lot of people mad).

1 hour ago, Parfigliano said:

The M is an abomination.  Did they pay someone to design it or just steal it from Miami?

I'm gonna guess, based on my own experience in graphic design, that they paid someone to come up with about 500 logo ideas and ownership liked the M best.

36 minutes ago, ashbury said:

For me it's the version with clashing colors for an outline, that makes me think "Marlins."  (Sorry, I don't know how to make these images smaller, for side-by-side comparison.)  Obviously when you see them together you can pick out differences - it's not orange and turquoise, it's an orangish-red and some darker shade of blue.  And not all the Twins (or Marlins) versions have the outline.  But just being shown a hat with an M, of roughly the same angle to the lines?  I think Marlins. 

Yeah, I definitely think that they went to the same Logos 'R Us outlet store for these.

I don't like them.  And I think I like them less every time I see them.  Just not to my taste. 

1 hour ago, ashbury said:

I like the way that the star seems to fit nicely over the arrow on the N on the old Northstar logo.  I also think that the star in the Northstar logo looks more like an actual star than the one on the Twins hat and more truly signifies the "north star state".

image.gif.c1fcc4c36b734c9543b5b5465e24d4b2.gif

29 minutes ago, Bigfork Twins Guy said:

I like the way that the star seems to fit nicely over the arrow on the N on the old Northstar logo.  I also think that the star in the Northstar logo looks more like an actual star than the one on the Twins hat and more truly signifies the "north star state".

image.gif.c1fcc4c36b734c9543b5b5465e24d4b2.gif

I don't mind the star - it's a detail that could grow on me.  It's just that it's not distinctive by itself, and the M isn't distinctive.  The Marlins' M isn't/wasn't distinctive either, but the fish on it made the logo more unmistakable.  An M with a stylized star?  Meh, unless and until it becomes associated with a World Series champ.

Verified Member

Look at this state logo that I found online associated with Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System schools such as St. Cloud State and Inver Hills Community College.

It looks like the Twins designer copied it pretty much right off the online template found at St. Cloud State dot edu slash printing services

ms-vertical-color.jpg

Inver Hills Community College is a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system.

https://eservices.minnstate.edu/registration/search/basic.html?campusid=157

Something very similar to the old Twins m logo is now being used as the State of Minnesota logo. Since the state is now using it maybe the Twins should have stayed with their old m for more familiar & widely acceptable recognition.. But then some fans could wear their old m hats and they wouldn't sell as many new ones.

9b354b1e81612d28c07347b6e0ad45ab.jpeg