Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Report from the Fort: Why did the Twins Sign Donovan Solano?

John Bonnes

That outfield is getting pretty crowded at AAA St. Paul. SO much so that Kyle Garlick, who actually has a major league contract, didn't get a non-roster invitatiuon to camp.

A 35-year-old veteran bat, who can play first and other positions, possibly be a clutch hitter off-the-bench. Taylor is outfielder #4. Gordon can play out there. So can Kirilloff. 

Of course, if Larnach or Wallner shine in spring training, it will open up many changes in the Twins going forth.

Just now, Rosterman said:

That outfield is getting pretty crowded at AAA St. Paul. SO much so that Kyle Garlick, who actually has a major league contract, didn't get a non-roster invitatiuon to camp.

A 35-year-old veteran bat, who can play first and other positions, possibly be a clutch hitter off-the-bench. Taylor is outfielder #4. Gordon can play out there. So can Kirilloff. 

Of course, if Larnach or Wallner shine in spring training, it will open up many changes in the Twins going forth.

They aren't making roster decisions on hot springs (only injuries), I'd think. This roster is set if healthy. The only battles are in the bullpen at this point, and even that's a spot, MAYBE two.

29 minutes ago, Major League Ready said:

We don't have a full-time DH.  Therefore, there are 5 bench spots, not 4.  

Maybe they are thinking of having Buxton DH quite a bit more this year, at least to start? Want to make CERTAIN that he (among others) is healthy come playoff time.

Or it's certainly possible that Kepler is actually traded at some point. Who knows.

Ok, I'll throw it out there; IF the starting pitchers are planning to pitch longer in to games, is there ANY chance that the team carries only 12 pitchers north to start the year, and 5 bench spots?

I've assumed forever it would be 13 pitchers who make the opening day roster. But having more positional flexibility isn't the worst thing.

15 minutes ago, Cory Engelhardt said:

Ok, I'll throw it out there; IF the starting pitchers are planning to pitch longer in to games, is there ANY chance that the team carries only 12 pitchers north to start the year, and 5 bench spots?

I've assumed forever it would be 13 pitchers who make the opening day roster. But having more positional flexibility isn't the worst thing.

26 players - 12 pitchers = 14 players - 8 position players would leave 6 bench spots, not 5.

17 minutes ago, Cory Engelhardt said:

This is what I guessed on the post Seth put up yesterday. Seems more logical unless there is an injury that has not been revealed.

3 minutes ago, Major League Ready said:

26 players - 12 pitchers = 14 players - 8 position players would leave 6 bench spots, not 5.

I more meant, they wouldn't have 6 bench spots for every game. The dh spot would rotate. So it would be 9 position players and 5 bench spots for every game in that scenario no?

43 minutes ago, Cory Engelhardt said:

You are only partially correct. Analytics says the starters can only go 5 innings tops so Rocco is going with a 4 man rotation since they will only throw about 70-80 pitches per outing. That means one less starter than anyone figured. 12 pitchers and 14 position players. Afterall, when you run out a different lineup everyday you have to have enough position players to move around and keep them uncomfortable playing multiple positions. 2 Catchers (Vazquez, Jeffers) 6 infielders (Kirilloff, Polanco, Correa, Miranda, Farmer, Solano) and 6 outfielders (Gallo, Kepler, Buxton, Larnach, Taylor, Gordon). Add in that Gallo can play 1B. Kirilloff can play OF. Miranda can go 1B. Farmer can play 2B, SS, 3B plus emergency Catcher.  Gordon can go 2B, OF, emergency SS. Solano can play 2B, 3B, SS. Yep, Rocco will be living the dream in 2023 as he runs out a different lineup everyday.

Ok, seriously 1 of the position players will be odd man out if someone isn;t traded. My guess is Larnach or Kirilloff, depending on who is hitting if they are both healthy.

4 minutes ago, rv78 said:

You are only partially correct. Analytics says the starters can only go 5 innings tops so Rocco is going with a 4 man rotation since they will only throw about 70-80 pitches per outing. That means one less starter than anyone figured. 12 pitchers and 14 position players. Afterall, when you run out a different lineup everyday you have to have enough position players to move around and keep them uncomfortable playing multiple positions. 2 Catchers (Vazquez, Jeffers) 6 infielders (Kirilloff, Polanco, Correa, Miranda, Farmer, Solano) and 6 outfielders (Gallo, Kepler, Buxton, Larnach, Taylor, Gordon). Add in that Gallo can play 1B. Kirilloff can play OF. Miranda can go 1B. Farmer can play 2B, SS, 3B plus emergency Catcher.  Gordon can go 2B, OF, emergency SS. Solano can play 2B, 3B, SS. Yep, Rocco will be living the dream in 2023 as he runs out a different lineup everyday.

Ok, seriously 1 of the position players will be odd man out if someone isn;t traded. My guess is Larnach or Kirilloff, depending on who is hitting if they are both healthy.

And all of this is predicated on health, right? I'd prefer to have depth to help with injuries at any point.

But Farmer and Solano both hit lefties well. And the roster in August is going to look a lot different than opening day. It always does.

39 minutes ago, Cory Engelhardt said:

I more meant, they wouldn't have 6 bench spots for every game. The dh spot would rotate. So it would be 9 position players and 5 bench spots for every game in that scenario no?

Ya, that was very clear....

They don't really have much of a DH at this point, do they? Gordon? Farmer? Whichever big time player has the day off from the field? No Larnach or Wallner at this point, not without an injury. 

19 minutes ago, rv78 said:

Seriously, "analytics says starters only go 5 innings" is bunk. They had Bundy and Archer and injured players last year as starters. Move on already.

Just now, Mike Sixel said:

Ya, that was very clear....

They don't really have much of a DH at this point, do they? Gordon? Farmer? Whichever big time player has the day off from the field? No Larnach or Wallner at this point, not without an injury. 

Agreed. It MIGHT be Buxton a bit, but I can totally see getting Polanco off his ankles a bit, especially against a lefty. Kirilloff too, since Solano plays 1b pretty well, let him get into a groove before playing him full time more.

Hate repeating what I already stated in the longer thread regarding Solano, but IF everyone is 100% and ready to go opening day, which seldom happens, then AK, just needing some ramp up time, or Larnach, who wouldn't be hurt playing daily after a pair of interrupted seasons, would be the odd man out. 

But whether opening day or a few week, or a month in, someone always has a tweak or something happen. You seldom have your preferred or PERFECT roster set day to day, week to week. So having a 14-15 man position roster always remains somewhat fluid.

So I doubt anyone gets "squeezed out" of a roster spot unless it's weeks only with good overall health.

And, as I also stated previously, I'm starting to strongly consider Gordon as the #1 hitter against RHP whether playing the field or at DH. Assuming he maintains his trajectory. A solid bat with some budding power, and speed for a team that is looking to move past 2019 and play more situational ball, he could find a good fit there and allow a healthy Polanco to continue to hit in the 3-4 spots where he has been very productive.

16 hours ago, Cory Engelhardt said:

I understand where you are coming from.  My response was aimed at all the discussion focused on who would make the 26 man with the addition of Solano.  In that context, some of the discussion used one less spot than would be available.

18 hours ago, Cory Engelhardt said:

I like the way you are thinking. I never thought of that.

These things always work themselves out in spring training.  Whoever is sent down, we all know there will be injuries, so many roster changes will be forthcoming during the summer.  Honestly, aren't we all happy that there is not enough "room" for everyone?  Boy, I remember down years (and last year during the injury pandemic) when we had guys on the roster that should never have been here.  This will be a fun spring training.

I see Solano and the IF equivalent to Taylor.

Depth is good - so many times the Twins rely on youngsters as depth, only to have them get hurt.

Then you get Garlick, Cave and Co as the last resort.

Having guys with MLB experience, even awards, is good. 

I understand why they signed Farmer when it looked like Correa was gone, but he seems more superfluous than either Solano or Taylor.

Providing real competition for prospects is better than handing them a position.

19 hours ago, Mike Sixel said:

Seriously, "analytics says starters only go 5 innings" is bunk. They had Bundy and Archer and injured players last year as starters. Move on already.

Analytics suggest bad/mediocre starters shouldn’t go more than 5. Just wait for when our starters start going deeper into games, folks here will claim “Rocco has turned a new leaf!”, but in reality it will be because he has a quality rotation of arms he can trust. 

The way Rocco burned through his relievers last season, says, to me anyway, that they will take 13 pitchers north. I still think a trade for Kepler is coming. In fact, I think it might be that they are looking at the glut of infielders (Lewis, Lee, Julien, and Martin) who are close, and are talking to teams about Polanco thinking to get something good for him before his knee/ankle finally gives out. Now, I'm like most of you and would hate to see him go, but I wonder what they could get for a package of Kepler and Polanco. I'm thinking Polanco instead of Miranda because of the youth factor.

5 hours ago, ashbury said:

Jason Tyner being unavailable, you do what you can.

Is he unavailable? I haven't been paying attention.

And isn't he a member of la bomba squad (direct article added to empasize the singularity of the noun*)

*okay, i admit it. also to evoke the the song... 

Edited by sampleSizeOfOne
confession is good for the poster