Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Balazovic Breaks Jaw in Off Field Altercation

Vanimal46

18 minutes ago, Richie the Rally Goat said:

our society needs to reestablish norms of respect that have shifted away from where I (and many people) believe they should be. As a member of the mod team here at TD, I can tell you we work very hard at keeping that norm on the message boards without resorting to fisticuffs.

Actually the more I study history the more I believe we're much better at treating each other with respect than our predecessors. Lynchings used to be commonplace, for example. History is full of examples of brutal violence because we couldn't get along with each other.

18 minutes ago, DJL44 said:

Actually the more I study history the more I believe we're much better at treating each other with respect than our predecessors. Lynchings used to be commonplace, for example. History is full of examples of brutal violence because we couldn't get along with each other.

That’s Beast’s point, in the old days you didn’t spout your mouth because of this.

58 minutes ago, DJL44 said:

I wouldn't call punching someone for being an idiot "polite", I'd call it assault. The world is full of idiots, you can't go around punching everybody.

the consequences are very real even if you can’t be punched over the internet. My point here is empathy is the tool of progress.

empathy for Jordy too

He's 24, he's not a kid. I'm not going to bury him forever because of a mistake, but let's not pretend he's a child. He's old enough to know better, and it's a significant lapse in judgment to have put himself in that situation. His professional career in baseball is already wobbling a bit (everyone except Keith Law has downgraded his prospect status significantly) and he's still never pitched in a single MLB game.

Not a smart decision the first week of camp. He's putting himself way behind.

Based on Falvey's quote, I'm guessing he was out (oot, since he's Canadian) at a bar fairly late at night.  Altercations like this rarely occur after a casual dinner.  The whole "prioritize baseball" makes me think that he maybe has had a habit of partying. That has gotten many minor league players in trouble in the past.

It is certain the Twins will have a 40 man roster decisions to make as the season progresses. His actions put him in a position where he is near the bottom of that 40.

For the Twins sake I hope he comes back strong and they see the best of him early after his return. That seems unlikely so I would put the over/under of major league games in a Twins uniform at 0.5.

10 minutes ago, chinmusic said:

Ok, we say "zed" rather than zee

"chocolate bar" rather than candy bar

"ten to twelve" rather than ten of twelve

but what's an OOT?

Having lived in Canada … ‘oot and aboot’ is as close to the accent I heard on a daily basis living in Ottawa. But the accents vary depending on where … which is true of most any country. But I say 10 to 12 and not of. Most people I know say ‘to’. And you spell it colour, eh? 🙂

Not a good way to start ST for our team.  If this is from a bad decision on his part, and I'm not saying that it is, maybe Justin Morneau should have a talk with him like Gardy did with him.  It sure worked for Morneau.

I hope Jordy comes back strong and proves he is the ballplayer that we all know he can be.  He should not give up on himself nor should the Twins give up on him.

9 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Having lived in Canada … ‘oot and aboot’ is as close to the accent I heard on a daily basis living in Ottawa. But the accents vary depending on where … which is true of most any country. But I say 10 to 12 and not of. Most people I know say ‘to’. And you spell it colour, eh? 🙂

7 hours ago, Beast said:

If he said/did something and deserved it, good.  If he stood up to someone who deserved it, good.

Part of the breakdown in civility in today’s society is due to a lack of consequences.  A society where you get punched in the face for being an idiot is a more polite society.  

If you can’t take that heat, don’t enter the kitchen.  Don’t go all bro in some bar somewhere. 

We're all speculating and I've got my theories too.  But the ideal society you lay out here also gets you punched in the face for talking sense to an idiot, because everybody is allowed their own opinion of idiocy.  And society isn't any less civil today than when I were a lad.

8 hours ago, ashbury said:

We're all speculating and I've got my theories too.  But the ideal society you lay out here also gets you punched in the face for talking sense to an idiot, because everybody is allowed their own opinion of idiocy.

I wonder if the FO and manager know more details, and I’m guessing they do, so their responses are telling. I don’t think our speculating of why matters much. Just shows a poor lack of judgement on Balazovic’s part that found him wherever he was when he was is really the only thing that matters. The FO’s comment about needing to prioritize baseball, and Rocco’s displeasure and saying it was disappointing, is telling. But as I said before, I really hope he pulls it together, mostly for his sake. 

46 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Did you learn to spell the name of the country while you lived there?

Cee, eh?

En, eh?

Dee, eh?

1 hour ago, jorgenswest said:

It is certain the Twins will have a 40 man roster decisions to make as the season progresses. His actions put him in a position where he is near the bottom of that 40.

Actually, if they're willing to put in on the major league injured list it gives them a chance to open up another roster spot by placing him on the 60 day IL.

10 minutes ago, DJL44 said:

Actually, if they're willing to put in on the major league injured list it gives them a chance to open up another roster spot by placing him on the 60 day IL.

And pay him a major league salary for (probably) making a bad choice that turned out to be really bad? No thanks.

8 hours ago, Squirrel said:

I wonder if the FO and manager know more details, and I’m guessing they do, so their responses are telling. I don’t think our speculating of why matters much. Just shows a poor lack of judgement on Balazovic’s part that found him wherever he was when he was is really the only thing that matters. The FO’s comment about needing to prioritize baseball, and Rocco’s displeasure and saying it was disappointing, is telling. But as I said before, I really hope he pulls it together, mostly for his sake. 

I'm personally uninterested in the details. Either the guy is capable of responding to a wake-up call, or he's not. And even if he's not, I'll wish him well, as it would perhaps be a sign of a deeper issue for the man. As for his baseball career, I'm even less optimistic than before, given the possibility that his problem runs deeper than a singlular lapse in judgment.

In most years and among the typical high-level Twins prospect, this would have entailed catastrophic damage to the pitching fingers/hand, necessitating a dozen surgeries and Balazovic having to learn to throw with his left hand.

My take? This is going to be the year the breaks turn in our favor!! And we can thank our lucky stars that we have the only Canadian athlete in history that doesn’t know how to land a punch in a fist-fight.

His parents need to engage right now and make sure he is fully aware of the precipice he is on. (Male brains aren't fully developed until 25 at the earliest and probably a bit later)

Because professional coaches have neither the time nor energy to devote to filling the role of parent to any of these players

I would find out what happened and if he is partly at fault it might be best to just send him home now and have him work out on his own until he is cleared to pitch.

That might be the wakeup call that he so clearly needs. He was a top prospect that fell off fast.

20 hours ago, roger said:

Let’s look at the positive side.  He won’t be on the field for what, three weeks.  That means he won’t be out there for a drill next week when he was destined to slip and mess up his knee and miss half of this season.

Other than that, this is damn disappointing.  Did others reading Falvey’s comment get the feeling that they are nearing the end of their patience with this young man?

I think Falvey just delivered a standard FO statement about the player needing to be focused on baseball going forward. Nothing leading or harsh there.

I’m sure they are pissed off & would be with anyone!

I see two possible outcomes here, and maybe that is a fine thing for the Twins no matter which.  Either A) this is the wakeup call he needs and this will focus his efforts so his career doesn't simply go away, so he becomes a solid prospect pitcher again, or B) this is symptomatic of the coming complete implosion and he's done.  It's possible that a lack of focus like this is what led to all of the issues he's had.  After a couple of years of waiting to see what will happen with him, a solid answer is a good thing, even if it goes the way that we don't want it to go.  

6 hours ago, jkcarew said:

In most years and among the typical high-level Twins prospect, this would have entailed catastrophic damage to the pitching fingers/hand, necessitating a dozen surgeries and Balazovic having to learn to throw with his left hand.

My take? This is going to be the year the breaks turn in our favor!! And we can thank our lucky stars that we have the only Canadian athlete in history that doesn’t know how to land a punch in a fist-fight.

He is the only Canadian athlete who can’t take a punch