Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Streaming only this year for Twins?

Trov

It was talked about a few weeks ago that Diamond Sports, the parent company for Balley broadcasting, is set to go bankrupt and not pay their bills at the end of this month.  Many people just brushed it under the rug thinking some other broadcasting company would step in.  However, it may not be that simple.  Came across this article yesterday. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35668388/rob-manfred-mlb-ready-diamond-sports-group-pay-teams

This basically states if Bally fails to pay the teams their money for broadcasting rights, the MLB will step in to broadcast games for the 14 teams that use Bally as a broadcast company.  There is still a lot to work out if this happens.  One question I would have is would you need to pay for the MLB streaming if you already have a cable company that you planned to watch on?  Will we have our same broadcasters, or will they be blocked because of contracts?  If a local company tries to step in will that trump MLB streaming? What if Bally pays some teams, like the Twins who are owed much less?  I do not know the contracts, article seems to suggest failing to pay is an out for teams, but will that get blocked for legal reasons with bankruptcy court at all?  

Being this looks to be on the verge, although, Manfred has said do not worry we got you, I am concerned on what this will look like.  It really should be a bigger story for people, but maybe people are just we will worry when time to worry. 

I thought the Twins didn't have a signed deal to even be on Bally if they don't go bankrupt?

It is going to be an interesting few weeks before the season starts.

I'll "watch" the Twins on AM radio or on my MLB Gameday Audio app. I see they raised the price of that from $20 to $30. Inflation everywhere. :-(

The commissioner talked about short term lifting black outs and the regional side of things if the contracts fall through and MLB.tv is the source for viewing but still sees regional sports networks as the way forward before a long term transition away for additional exposure. I would guess they encourage teams going with new deals to take shorter contracts or contract with streaming platforms without blackouts to start the transition. One of the articles stated one of the biggest hurdles is that every team has their own contract and have different end dates and stipulations around the black outs.