Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Twins Daily 2023 Top Prospects: #8 Jose Salas, INF

The newest name to the Twins farm system is still a great unknown to the casual Twins fan. The secondary name to come back in the Luis Arraez for Pablo Lopez, Jose Salas, is a switch-hitting infielder with a lot of speed and a quality throwing arm that works well at any position he plays. 

Image courtesy of Jose Salas's Instagram page

There are still many questions surrounding one of the Twins' newest prospects such as what position in the infield he will eventually call home. If he can really develop himself into the power hitter many scouts believed he could be when they first discovered him in Venezuela. 

2022 Stats (A/A+): 474 PA, .250/.339/.384, 9 HR, 41 RBI, 69 R, 33 SB
ETA: 2024
2022 Ranking: NR

National Top 100 Rankings
BA: NR | MLB: NR | ATH: NR | BP: 93

What's to Like
Before the Twins acquired Salas from the Marlins, he was ranked as one of their higher prospects (fifth by MLB.com) in the system. There is a lot of upside in his play regarding his running game and hit for contact. 

Salas's speed may be his greatest asset on the field right now as he swiped 33 stolen bases in 34 attempts across the 2022 season and had five multi-steal games. His running game is his best asset according to scouts, as scouting grades, have it ranked at a score of 55 to 60 per FanGraphs and MLB.com. 

Salas’s contact numbers did take a dip down from his potential in 2022 posting a .250 batting average between High and Low A. Still, scouting grades have his contact skills graded from the 50 to 60 range. In just his second week at High A Beloit, Salas did have his first-ever five-hit game in his professional career. The performance in that game shows there is still room for growth in his hitting that can make him a force at the plate.

What's Left to Work On
Salas has not had the best success on defense in his professional career so far, but 2022 was an improvement from his pro debut in 2021. His defensive game still lacks impact athleticism from each position he plays and he still needs to find a true defensive home. Salas has struggled most as a shortstop in 2021 with 17 errors in 45 games at the position. The number of errors in 2022 was cut down to four at the position in 46 games. 

While the number of errors was cut down in 2022, the strength in his throwing arm and athleticism on defense is still his greatest need to strengthen his game on the field. The Twins will likely still shuffle him around the infield on defense to see where his best position is this year and likely keep him there as he makes his way through the Minor Leagues. 

Salas’s power at the plate is part of his game that still needs development. At 6’2, and 191 pounds, he has a growing build that will give him more power as he ages. But he only had nine home runs with a .384 slugging percentage for the season. 

What's Next
The early guesses for where Salas will start his 2023 season in the Twins organization have him at High A Cedar Rapids. With a plethora of infielders in the organization at different levels of the Minor League, there is no need for the Twins to rush Salas up before he is ready for the next level. 

As Salas continues to develop his strengths and weakness on the field, he will be making his way to Double-A Wichita at some point in the 2023 season. 

Feel free to discuss these prospects and ask as many questions as you like in the COMMENTS below.

For more Twins Daily content on Jose Salas, click here.

Previous Rankings
Honorable Mentions
Prospects 21-30
Prospects 16-20
Prospects 11-15
#10: Austin Martin, OF/SS
#9: Louie Varland, RHP
#8: Jose Salas, INF 
#7: Coming Soon

View full article

Interesting to see Salas ahead of either Martin or Wallner. Salas should be able to find both a position and the at bats needed to firmly display his skills in the coming year. Twins fans will be more aware of his potential as he develops and refines his skills this summer.

Salas should be OK on the defensive side as he was drafted as a shortstop and he doesn't look too bad there at least right now IMO.  Some think he can stay there some seem to think he is more likely to end up at 2nd or 3rd.  At any rate he should be an average to plus fielder no matter the position. I don't think defense is the worry point for him.

His value like a lot of players is tied to his bat.  He looked really good at A ball for a 19 year old and he did get promoted to High A but the batting numbers there don't look quite so nice.  Still he is only 19 and two years younger than the average player there and he held his own for the most part.  His slugging was down in High A and yet his body looks big and strong for a 19 year old.  He looks like he can be projected to hit for more power.

This coming year is a big one for Salas.  If he masters High A and adds to his power he has star upside IMO.  He still has a lot to prove but he does have time on his side right now.  I am hoping for a breakout with the bat as that would put him on the fast path to MLB.

Absolutely love his speed - that is a trait rarely found among Twins players/top prospects and one that is sorely needed.

However, IMHO, we will need to see another year from Salas before we can anoint him a top ten prospect and the reason why the Arraez trade was (as many have suggested) a “steal” for the Twins.  From all that’s been published, he appears to be a “tweener” defensively and, at the moment, would rank no better than fifth or sixth among potential Twins SSs (Correa, Lewis, Miller, Lee and possibly Martin).  With his speed, the outfield may beckon.

With no outstanding defensive home, he will need to develop his plate skills fairly dramatically to earn a role going forward on the big club. Again, with that speed, an OBP demon would seem to be a good fit; yet, the talk is about him developing his power. Let’s hope he gets the right instruction - physical and mental - to build a plus bat.

The good news is that he’s young and has the time to do that. Yet, until the bat develops enough to overcome possible defensive questions (i.e., kinda like Julien has), he probably should not be ranked so high - I actually have him behind Martin and Wallner at this point, but could see him jumping both players based on how their respective 2023 seasons go. 

Nice prospect, but I guess I am not as high on this kid at this point as some, and would not have him in the top 10.  I don't think the combination of performance and potential justifies this high of a placement on the list.  He does have some defensive issues, his power has yet to manifest itself in a meaningful way, there are questions about his arm, and he is still early in his career.  If he blossoms this year, as he might, he could very well earn this spot, but for now I think it is a reach.  I am not saying I don't like this kid, I am just saying it is too early to put him this high.  Personally, I would put him lower in the 12-15 range.  

I can't help but think this ranking may have been influenced by some desire to feel better about the Arraez trade.  I still think it was a solid trade, as much as I absolutely hated it, even if Salas is more of top 15 guy than a top 10 guy.

I agree with the above comment that 2024 is a pretty aggressive ETA based on the current body of work.  However, I probably would have said the same thing about Jarvis Brown in 1990, and that's the only path I see for Salas hitting the Bigs in 2024 at this point.

48 minutes ago, RJA said:

Nice prospect, but I guess I am not as high on this kid at this point as some, and would not have him in the top 10.  I don't think the combination of performance and potential justifies this high of a placement on the list.  He does have some defensive issues, his power has yet to manifest itself in a meaningful way, there are questions about his arm, and he is still early in his career.  If he blossoms this year, as he might, he could very well earn this spot, but for now I think it is a reach.  I am not saying I don't like this kid, I am just saying it is too early to put him this high.  Personally, I would put him lower in the 12-15 range.  

I think it's hard to push a prospect that is showing up in respected top 100 rankings (or just outside of it) much further down. ESPN has Salas at 94, for example. At his age, a lot of it is based on projection and he certainly has that. When you factor in his upside, it's hard to say there are 10 better prospects in the twins system than salas right now.

He's not projected to reach the majors until 2026. We have plenty of time to evaluate him. But I love his size and speed. Stealing 33 bases out of 34 attempts is a phenomenal number. That has to come from not only speed but a real knack for base stealing ..

I was really pleased with the haul we got for Arraez .. 

1 hour ago, Nashvilletwin said:

Absolutely love his speed - that is a trait rarely found among Twins players/top prospects and one that is sorely needed.

However, IMHO, we will need to see another year from Salas before we can anoint him a top ten prospect and the reason why the Arraez trade was (as many have suggested) a “steal” for the Twins.  From all that’s been published, he appears to be a “tweener” defensively and, at the moment, would rank no better than fifth or sixth among potential Twins SSs (Correa, Lewis, Miller, Lee and possibly Martin).  With his speed, the outfield may beckon.

With no outstanding defensive home, he will need to develop his plate skills fairly dramatically to earn a role going forward on the big club. Again, with that speed, an OBP demon would seem to be a good fit; yet, the talk is about him developing his power. Let’s hope he gets the right instruction - physical and mental - to build a plus bat.

The good news is that he’s young and has the time to do that. Yet, until the bat develops enough to overcome possible defensive questions (i.e., kinda like Julien has), he probably should not be ranked so high - I actually have him behind Martin and Wallner at this point, but could see him jumping both players based on how their respective 2023 seasons go. 

Speed is something that can't be taught. Once again, we hear the Twins trying to groom more power out of a player. I wonder if with his speed they should work more on getting him on base?

1 hour ago, RJA said:

I don't necessarily disagree as Salas's ratings appear to be a bit all over the place right now.  MLB.com had him as the Marlins number 5 prospect but now has him as the Twins number 13 prospect.  So essentially in the range you suggested. 

According to this Fangraphs article they have him rated 3rd in the Twins system (Per The Board, "Salas is now the Twins’ third-best prospect").  Some have him in the top 100 others don't.  He is tough to gauge after those rough High A numbers.  Still for perspective Rodriguez hasn't even made it to High A ball yet and he and Salas are around the same age.

I definitely think Salas needs more polish to shine, but I still think he deserves top 10 status given his tools potential.

27 minutes ago, jmlease1 said:

I think it's hard to push a prospect that is showing up in respected top 100 rankings (or just outside of it) much further down. ESPN has Salas at 94, for example. At his age, a lot of it is based on projection and he certainly has that. When you factor in his upside, it's hard to say there are 10 better prospects in the twins system than salas right now.

You make some great points, as usual.

Whereas the ranking entities appear to place more emphasis on potential/projection, some of us more casual fans, myself included, tend to value what the prospect has actually done to date.

For example, take Wallner. He’s pretty much excelled through multiple layers of the minors and did pretty darn well when he got his cup of coffee.  He has a plus power bat with a plus arm, but possibly lacks fielding chops and strikes out way too often. Salas may very well have better projectable tool sets - and ultimately be a better major leaguer. But Wallner has actually proven that he belongs is in the conversation, which we all know how hard it is to even get to that point.  Salas has yet to prove real dominance at really any level (unlike Emmanuel Rodriguez) and, sadly, the road is littered with toolsy prospects who never make it to true major league consideration. Wallner and Martin have actually earned that consideration by their play on the field. To someone like me (an under promise/over deliver type), that counts a bit more even if the raw projections suggest otherwise.

This list has always felt more optimistic than others, so sure, top ten, why not? But justifying that by his placement on other lists should not be the reason for this rank. He's fun to dream on and he hasn't taken himself out of any future role yet, and that's enough.

Not for me, of course. I look for more in the way of production before the unbridled optimism is allowed to fly above everything else. I rarely support low A guys or younger anywhere near the top ten unless a system is seriously bereft of talent. He didn't destroy high A, so I think a guy like this belongs back in the pack with other revelations like the early years of Emmanuel Rodriguez, for example. 

Maybe I'm looking through rose-colored lenses, but I look at Salas' profile and I see a lot of similarities to a player we're very familiar with -- Jorge Polanco.

Both switch-hitting SS who were always somewhat fringy to stay at the position defensively. It looks like Polanco was always pretty young for his level, similar to Salas, and neve hit more than 9 home runs during a season in his minor league career. Salas' strikeout rates are a little hit higher so probably not quite the same hit tool as Jorge, but also looks like he has some speed that Polanco doesn't have.

Probably optimistic, but I thought the similarities were interesting! 

20 minutes ago, Nashvilletwin said:

You make some great points, as usual.

Whereas the ranking entities appear to place more emphasis on potential/projection, some of us more casual fans, myself included, tend to value what the prospect has actually done to date.

For example, take Wallner. He’s pretty much excelled through multiple layers of the minors and did pretty darn well when he got his cup of coffee.  He has a plus power bat with a plus arm, but possibly lacks fielding chops and strikes out way too often. Salas may very well have better projectable tool sets - and ultimately be a better major leaguer. But Wallner has actually proven that he belongs is in the conversation, which we all know how hard it is to even get to that point.  Salas has yet to prove real dominance at really any level (unlike Emmanuel Rodriguez) and, sadly, the road is littered with toolsy prospects who never make it to true major league consideration. Wallner and Martin have actually earned that consideration by their play on the field. To someone like me (an under promise/over deliver type), that counts a bit more even if the raw projections suggest otherwise.

You're absolutely right that a lot of evaluators will value projectability and tools (especially for younger prospects at lower levels) over production. And I don't think it's unreasonable to put a little more value on production (I'd argue it's less subjective than evaluating tools, but getting the context right for that production can be a little more slippery).

And some of it about ceiling vs floor too: the ceiling is probably quite a bit higher for Salas as a toolsy teenager in the low minors than for Wallner, who was never really young for any level he played at in pro baseball. At the same time, the fact that wallner has already debuted in MLB shows that his floor is already higher than Salas.

I think a team's prospect list has to have some balance in it; you hope you're not counting on too many toolsy teenagers to make it happen, nor do you want to be overloaded with guys who may already be close to their ceilings.

Kind of embarrassing when I read the headline and thought, who?  I know us old timers are always concerned with our memories, but this name drew a big blank.

Love his speed as I do with guys like Martin and Lewis.  But will the Twins use it?

Gotta agree with Nashville above that I too prefer to rank players off what they have done.  When reading everything about what this kid has to work on seems #8 is too high, way too high for me.  To be honest, I was more excited about the younger kid down in the DSL when I saw who the Twins got for one of my two favorite Twins.

26 minutes ago, Nashvilletwin said:

For example, take Wallner. He’s pretty much excelled through multiple layers of the minors and did pretty darn well when he got his cup of coffee. 

IMO, When looking at prospects; age is huge indicator of future success, Wallner is 25 with 65 major league at bats, and history shows that type of player never turns into anything other then a possibly starting player but not an all star type player. Where as a 19 year old SS with skills has a much better chance (still not great) to be an all star type player. Still in Salas case if he ended up like Gordon that would be an amazing success story.

I tend to agree with all the comments that this is premature and too high.  Let him prove himself before rating him above Wallner, Canterino, Varland or Martin.  

In fact he sounds like a Martin comp - good speed, but defensively challenged.  His 250 BA for a speed guy is not impressive even at his young age. I have hope for him, but I need more justification than the fact he ranked #5 in the Marlins system.  Despite all their bad years, the Marlins minor league system only ranks 16 by MLB.COM.  But we rank #23 and I think the rankings so far for this year bare that out.   So far our players have not jumped off the list to get me excited.  Waiting for more names. 

1 hour ago, MMMordabito said:

I can't help but think this ranking may have been influenced by some desire to feel better about the Arraez trade.  I still think it was a solid trade, as much as I absolutely hated it, even if Salas is more of top 15 guy than a top 10 guy.

I agree with the above comment that 2024 is a pretty aggressive ETA based on the current body of work.  However, I probably would have said the same thing about Jarvis Brown in 1990, and that's the only path I see for Salas hitting the Bigs in 2024 at this point.

4 minutes ago, TwinsDr2021 said:

IMO, When looking at prospects; age is huge indicator of future success, Wallner is 25 with 65 major league at bats, and history shows that type of player never turns into anything other then a possibly starting player but not an all star type player. Where as a 19 year old SS with skills has a much better chance (still not great) to be an all star type player. Still in Salas case if he ended up like Gordon that would be an amazing success story.

Counterpoint..... By the logic some of you use, you would have ranked Bryce Harper low his first year, because he hadn't proven anything yet.....

I agree that production matters, but it matters a lot less to a guy with one year of minor league at bats than a 25 year old with years of data. This ranking is consistent with national sites, who actually see guys play. Seems reasonable.

11 minutes ago, mikelink45 said:

I tend to agree with all the comments that this is premature and too high.  Let him prove himself before rating him above Wallner, Canterino, Varland or Martin.  

In fact he sounds like a Martin comp - good speed, but defensively challenged.  His 250 BA for a speed guy is not impressive even at his young age. I have hope for him, but I need more justification than the fact he ranked #5 in the Marlins system.  Despite all their bad years, the Marlins minor league system only ranks 16 by MLB.COM.  But we rank #23 and I think the rankings so far for this year bare that out.   So far our players have not jumped off the list to get me excited.  Waiting for more names. 

I think you're doing Martin an injustice here: being tagged as unlikely to stick at SS isn't "defensively challenged"; Martin has the speed and skill to be at least average in CF and plus in the corners, and potentially a plus at 2B (a little unclear at 3B; he might not have the arm for it, but his range could be great). If Salas has a defensive profile similar to Martin it mostly means he's unlikely to stick at SS, not that he's going to be a poor defender.

Gotta love his speed & hitting. I really don't think he'll stick at SS. But as you said

"Jose Salas, is a switch-hitting infielder with a lot of speed and a quality throwing arm that works well at any position he plays."

2B & 3B we're pretty deep, His speed works pretty well in the OF, I guess you can't have enough CF depth. We have right now Buxton, Celestino & Gordon. I won't bet that E Rod will stick there.

But here's a thought, we are pretty set at INF & OF but we are hurting a lot catching. He comes from long line of MLB catchers & his brother is projected to be an elite MLB catcher. You hate to lose that speed aspect of his game but catching has to be in his blood. He should easily transition to catching, not to keep playing him there but just enough for him to have a feel there. If he does fill out, slow down & gain some power, where he no longer is profiled at CF, he can transition right into catching & excel. P.S. there's a reason why he chose INF over catching so management has to be sensitive to that.

IMO Martin, Salas & Wallner are very equal, they have a lot of potential to be very good MLB players. I'd place Martin 1st of this trio because he's more advanced, (I believe he'd be even more advanced if he had played more OF, etc). And even though Wallner has a lot of raw talent in speed, arm & power & could have the greatest ceiling. Yet I'd place him behind these two because  he needs a lot more time to gain instinct & develop those raw talents to realize that ceiling. Otherwise he'll be a so so RF/ DH. I'd think that those skills should have been imputed in him by now, but some take longer that others. Hopefully those development will eventually come.

If you're going far out like catcher conversions then I might start with a Julien type rather than a guy with serious wheels. The individual player's buy-in is going to matter most in this sort of move, much more than if his brother catches. But in the larger sense you're right: I'd be asking a lot more of these infielders that are hella blocked if they'd consider donning the tools of ignorance. Can't hurt.

3 hours ago, Theo Tollefson said:

His defensive game still lacks impact athleticism from each position he plays and he still needs to find a true defensive home. Salas has struggled most as a shortstop in 2021 with 17 errors in 45 games at the position. The number of errors in 2022 was cut down to four at the position in 46 games. 

While the number of errors was cut down in 2022, the strength in his throwing arm and athleticism on defense is still his greatest need to strengthen his game on the field. The Twins will likely still shuffle him around the infield on defense to see where his best position is this year and likely keep him there as he makes his way through the Minor Leagues. 

This is from the essay and all I have to go on.  

And this is from the Essay on Martin - It’s questionable at best as to whether Martin can remain at shortstop. He has played some second base and outfield however, and could morph into a guy that has utility all over the field. His speed plays well on the grass, and while his arm strength is nothing to write home about, it works at other positions.

I need more than this to get excited.

Jose Salas

2022 19       A-A+ MIA 109 474 412 69 103 20 4 9 41 33 1 43 95 .250 .339 .384 .723 158 8 14 2 3

Jose Miranda

2018 20 MIN-min A,A+ 131 552 503 61 133 27 1 16 82 0 3 31 62 .264 .319 .417 .736   210 19 12 0 6 0

Jorge Polanco

2014 20 MIN-min A+,AA 131 589 524 74 151 23 6 7 61 17 11 55 88 .288 .353 .395 .748   207 8 1 3 6 1

Seems like he compares well to a couple of current Twins. I can see projection putting him in the top 10.

1 minute ago, weitz41 said:

Jose Salas

2022 19       A-A+ MIA 109 474 412 69 103 20 4 9 41 33 1 43 95 .250 .339 .384 .723 158 8 14 2 3

Jose Miranda

2018 20 MIN-min A,A+ 131 552 503 61 133 27 1 16 82 0 3 31 62 .264 .319 .417 .736   210 19 12 0 6 0

Jorge Polanco

2014 20 MIN-min A+,AA 131 589 524 74 151 23 6 7 61 17 11 55 88 .288 .353 .395 .748   207 8 1 3 6 1

Seems like he compares well to a couple of current Twins. I can see projection putting him in the top 10.

Not to mention hitting is down across the leagues since Polanco was that age......

2 hours ago, jishfish said:

Maybe I'm looking through rose-colored lenses, but I look at Salas' profile and I see a lot of similarities to a player we're very familiar with -- Jorge Polanco.

Both switch-hitting SS who were always somewhat fringy to stay at the position defensively. It looks like Polanco was always pretty young for his level, similar to Salas, and neve hit more than 9 home runs during a season in his minor league career. Salas' strikeout rates are a little hit higher so probably not quite the same hit tool as Jorge, but also looks like he has some speed that Polanco doesn't have.

Probably optimistic, but I thought the similarities were interesting! 

You took the words right out of my mouth.....you look at his size, the speed, the positional flexibility and then you see that switch-hitting swing, and he appears to me to be a clone of Jorge Polanco, and that would be a very good thing.