Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Miranda off-season conditioning

mnfireman

2 minutes ago, mnfireman said:

It's a few weeks until Spring Training.  Every pitcher's arm is at 100% if not better.  Every position player will be arriving in the best condition of his life.

Being in great physical shape but doesn't make you an athlete. However, it does allow an athlete's inborn ability to be more fully expressed. It is very encouraging to see a talented baseball player working hard, doing what he has the ability to do in order to improve.

It's a rare person who can maximize his or her potential. Few people have the ability to dedicate themselves to anything 100%. I am certainly not one of those people myself. As an example, Kent Hrbek did very well for himself in his career but he also was an underachiever. Imagine what we might have seen if he had been the type of person who could do that. And this is not intended as a cheap shot at Hrbek because he, like me, is in the same category as the vast majority of people; he's just a familiar baseball example that came to mind.

Great to hear that Miranda is willing to put some work into physical conditioning.  Sano's lack of discipline and effort was disappointing.  I find it hard to accept that a professional athlete with 10s or even 100s of millions of dollars on the line is not willing to work at physical fitness.  

This reminds me of the great Sid Hartmann.  Every year, the Gopher basketball "big men" would come in with "an extra ten pounds of muscle."   Then after the graduated the stats read: 

incoming Freshman-195lbs

outgoing Senior-207lbs

LOL!

:)