Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Rumor: Twins in on Yuli Gurriel

mnfireman

Get the whole gang back together, eh? I don't get it. Minnesota doesn't have to be that nice. 

Better hide the trashcans. Maybe get compactors for the dugout.

Plus, Gurriel comes with even more baggage.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/28/560615006/astros-yuli-gurriel-suspended-for-racist-gesture-but-not-until-after-world-serie

On 1/21/2023 at 5:24 PM, chpettit19 said:

I like the idea of Gurriel as the right handed bench bat/1B platoon. However, I wouldn't drop anyone not named Pagan from the 40-man for him. So I'd try to come to an agreement with him, but not sign him until Canterino and Paddack hit the 60 day. He's a champion and gamer. The team can use more of those.

A J Alexey may be the first one dropped

5 hours ago, h2oface said:

Get the whole gang back together, eh? I don't get it. Minnesota doesn't have to be that nice. 

Better hide the trashcans. Maybe get compactors for the dugout.

Plus, Gurriel comes with even more baggage.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/28/560615006/astros-yuli-gurriel-suspended-for-racist-gesture-but-not-until-after-world-serie

The times we live in.

"No one is perfect," Darvish wrote. "That includes both you and I. What he had done today isn't right, but I believe we should put our effort into learning rather than to accuse him. If we can take something for this, this is a giant step for mankind. Since we are living in such a wonderful world, let's stay positive and move forward instead of focusing on anger. I'm counting on everyone's big love."

I called out loudly last year for picking up a veteran 1B when we had a gaping hole at that position.

Now that Kiriloff seems healthy & Miranda can hopefully learn to be at least a passable first baseman (he wasn't last year, but not his fault. The team was not prepared nor managed properly last year and continually played people out of position.  Lewis = exhibit A.) We shouldn't spend a ton of money on someone like Gurriel.

That said a veteran presence would be valuable and perhaps critical if Kiriloff  goes down. There seems to be no one in the minor league system at 1B

Trading Gurriel will come at the cost of trading Kepler (unless Falvine decides that are not pursuing any bullpen help for some reason). Since the deals will be pretty similar, I feel like the Twins maintain more flexibility with just keeping Kepler. 

If they do trade Kepler, I'd prefer two medium leverage or better receivers anyways over Gurriel. 

I think most would like to see AK have the job...but I dont think you can realistically count on him after all the injuries.  Is Gurriel exciting at this point?  Not really...but if AK cant make it work, its better to find your first baseman now rather than after the season starts.

31 minutes ago, jorgenswest said:

I think they need another right handed bat. It will be Garlick or someone they acquire. Does Gurriel help more than Garlick? 

They have a somewhat weak RH bat in Taylor. Most likely lineup vs. lefties would be--DH Buxton, C Jeffers, 1B Miranda, 2B Polanco, 3B Farmer,SS Correa, LF Gallo, CF Taylor, RF Kepler. That is 7 RH bats and only two LH. Lots of tweaks to that lineup--Kirilloff at first or left Miranda at DH with Buxton in center and Taylor in left or right. Suddenly, there is not a real role for Gordon, until and unless a LH outfielder is traded.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:50 PM, Rosterman said:

Where is Sano going to end up?

He may not end up with anyone depending on how much weight he's gained this offseason.  No joke he's gained 60 or 70 pounds of fat in the offseason before.