Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Bally Sports North Streaming Channel?

KirbyHawk75

SIAP.  Has there been any news on the possibility of the Twins being on the streaming channel this spring?  Last year we got rid of cable for youtubetv.  Had to do it, saved us a lot of money.  But it does not have Bally.  I was going to get the channel for Timberwolves,  but I got really PO'd by thr Gobert trade that I didn't.  If they carry the Twins I will pay for it.  Has anyone heard anything?  Again, SIAP.  

As far as I know they still aren't on it. I think I remember reading somewhere that there was a disagreement between Bally and the MLB to the point MLB was considering lawsuits to terminate the contract. I imagine something gets figured out before the start of the season because there were some other MLB teams that hadn't been added yet to their regional Bally networks streaming service.

From Bally Sports FAQ: 

Q: Why can't I find my baseball team on the app?

Bally Sports currently has the rights to stream the Detroit Tigers, Kansas City Royals, Miami Marlins, Milwaukee Brewers and Tampa Bay Rays on Bally Sports+. We are in discussions with MLB and our other MLB team partners to expand our offering in 2023.

Edited by danielp19653

I'll be incredibly disappointed if the Twins don't just agree to be on the streaming service for one year in 2023. Their entire contract is up for re-negotiation after this season, just agree to the one year deal and allow us to stream games.

28 minutes ago, IA Bean Counter said:

Does the blackout still affect the streaming service.  I am in Iowa so would love to have this as an option.  

If you're in the Twins broadcast zone, you can purchase this and use it as a cable replacement.

If you're not in the Twins broadcast zone, you cannot purchase this. I already tried to buy the Brewers package last year and it wouldn't let me because my billing address is in Minnesota, though I may skirt this by changing one of my CCs to our cabin address in Wisconsin just to buy Bally Sports Wisconsin.

So while this service is better than what we had before, baseball's idiotic blackout regulations are still mostly in place.

3 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

If you're in the Twins broadcast zone, you can purchase this and use it as a cable replacement.

If you're not in the Twins broadcast zone, you cannot purchase this. I already tried to buy the Brewers package last year and it wouldn't let me because my billing address is in Minnesota, though I may skirt this by changing one of my CCs to our cabin address in Wisconsin just to buy Bally Sports Wisconsin.

So while this service is better than what we had before, baseball's idiotic blackout regulations are still mostly in place.

Thats disappointing

1 hour ago, KirbyHawk75 said:

SIAP.  Has there been any news on the possibility of the Twins being on the streaming channel this spring?  Last year we got rid of cable for youtubetv.  Had to do it, saved us a lot of money.  But it does not have Bally.  I was going to get the channel for Timberwolves,  but I got really PO'd by thr Gobert trade that I didn't.  If they carry the Twins I will pay for it.  Has anyone heard anything?  Again, SIAP.  

So, you can "stream" ballysports north on foxsports.com if you get bally sports with cable, directv, etc. by logging into your TV provider. Or someone else's TV provider account. BUT, if you live in MN, you will also have to use a VPN on your computer to access the Twins broadcast.

You can also do MLB.tv with a vpn. Both routes are clumsy and honestly they both suck. In 2020 I paid for an MLB subscription and used a VPN. It sometimes worked great, sometimes not so much. The MLB app and Express vpn on my TV did work to watch the games. Haven't decided what I'll do this year. Probably just watch the recaps the day after on youtube again. 

1 hour ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

If you're out of market you should be able to buy MLB.tv and watch the Brewers.

The whole system of "local" providers needs to go. Just sell people what they want to watch. If they're a Twins fan in Cambridge, MN or Cambridge, England it should be the same app.

2 minutes ago, DJL44 said:

If you're out of market you should be able to buy MLB.tv and watch the Brewers.

Oh, I already have MLB.tv, I just wanted to watch Brewers pre- and post-game content, which is not available on MLB.tv (but should be).

While I'm on the subject of bitching and moaning about this, I should also be able to give MLB.tv an extra $5/mo and receive MLB Network streaming.

Everything, and I mean everything, about MLB and television is utterly idiotic.

Just now, Brock Beauchamp said:

Oh, I already have MLB.tv, I just wanted to watch Brewers pre- and post-game content, which is not available on MLB.tv (but should be).

Ok. You'd have to pay me to watch pre and post game content.

1 minute ago, DJL44 said:

Ok. You'd have to pay me to watch pre and post game content.

I mostly like the pre-game stuff for injury updates and manager interviews. It helps me stay current with player situations. I'll occasionally watch post-game stuff if there was something in-game that was notable.

And the truly idiotic thing is... MLB thinks local viewing competes with tickets sales so they blackout the games. Turns out if you can't watch a few games on TV and get to know the team, you have less incentive to buy a ticket and see them play in a great stadium on a beautiful summer night.

2 hours ago, KirbyHawk75 said:

So even if I get it , I won't get Twins games because I live in Iowa?

Here's a link to the states covered by each of the bally sports regional services, Looks like Iowa is tied with the St Louis market. If you're northern Iowa it might be different or depend on who's playing at what times. Unfortunately you're probably in the terrible situation most people are where you have to have mlb tv to watch most of the games but timing of when St. Louis or Chicago, or Kansas city the Twins could end up being the "local" game and black it out on the service. It's a complete disaster with the way they have this set up. You're best bet would probably be to see if anyone near you tried to sign up for mlb tv before, or if they have bally sports north (or if its a different version) available with cable providers at your address to get a better idea of who your local team is for your zip code

4 hours ago, IA Bean Counter said:

Does the blackout still affect the streaming service.  I am in Iowa so would love to have this as an option.  

I live in Iowa as well. The way I watch is through the Bally Sports app and a MN buddy of mine's cable info. If you have cable you can watch it through the app anywhere. As far as I know that is the only way to watch in Iowa. MLB TV blacks them out. And if that Bally + starts carrying the twins, I believe it'll blackout if you leave the area due to all the regional cable deals MLB has. It is a real bummer and huge problem for baseball's popularity. It literally drives away current fans trying to  cut cords and doesn't allow new fans to watch. MLB, MAKE IT EASY FOR PEOPLE TO ACCESS YOUR CONTENT!!!!!! Yes, the regional deals make you money in the short run, but long term people want to stream. get with the times. Rant over lol. Living in Iowa as an avid Twins fan blows.

5 minutes ago, Nick Hanzlik said:

I live in Iowa as well. The way I watch is through the Bally Sports app and a MN buddy of mine's cable info. If you have cable you can watch it through the app anywhere. As far as I know that is the only way to watch in Iowa. MLB TV blacks them out. And if that Bally + starts carrying the twins, I believe it'll blackout if you leave the area due to all the regional cable deals MLB has. It is a real bummer and huge problem for baseball's popularity. It literally drives away current fans trying to  cut cords and doesn't allow new fans to watch. MLB, MAKE IT EASY FOR PEOPLE TO ACCESS YOUR CONTENT!!!!!! Yes, the regional deals make you money in the short run, but long term people want to stream. get with the times. Rant over lol. Living in Iowa as an avid Twins fan blows.

As an aside, MLB recently hired a network executive to address their (purely idiotic) blackout rules. Hopefully he is able to make progress on it sooner rather than later. MLB is losing so much money and fan interest with this nonsense.