Twins Daily
  • Create Account

How the Twins Are Using 'Minnesota Nice' to Their Advantage

It's usually a silly platitude, but the Twins organization has managed to turn kindness and decency into a competitive edge.

The Carlos Correa outcome, like Byron Buxton's before him, is an example of how nice guys sometimes finish first.

Image courtesy of Lindsey Wasson-USA TODAY Sports

Plenty is made of the disadvantages that a market like the Twin Cities faces in comparison to glamorous coastal destinations like San Francisco and New York. For pro athletes, those locations tend to offer more money, more marketing opportunities, and more prestige, for starters.

But there are also distinct advantages to a quaint midwestern locale like Minnesota – ones that might resonate and hold more influence with specific players, and can (as we've seen) sway player pursuits in a meaningful way. 

Specifically: there's a certain coldness to many of the big markets and all they entail.

In the follow-up of Carlos Correa's stunning pivot to sign with the Twins after cutting off negotiations with the Mets, it became clear that the shortstop kept Minnesota on his radar – and ultimately directed his agent Scott Boras to go and get something done – because of how he felt treated by them throughout the past 12 months, and especially through this latest free-agency episode.

The Twins could have been compelled to move on at some point and cease making contact, during a process where they were spurned twice for bigger offers in bigger markets. But Correa expressed appreciation for Derek Falvey and Twins reps continually checking in to see how he was doing, as a person – and never wavering in their desire to hammer out a deal with the player, if practical.

In a world of big egos and high-stakes decisions, you don't always find this type of genuine care and concern. Correa has said as much. Upon signing, he called the Twins his "extended family." He spoke of how the positive experiences his actual family had in Minneapolis last year influenced his openness to a reunion. He beamed that his son would "grow up Minnesota Nice."

Yeah, these are the kinds of things people say when they sign new contracts, I get that. But when you look at the way this all played out, it's difficult to ignore the validity behind these seemingly sappy sentiments. 

Clearly Correa was very eager and excited to sign in New York. He waited out frustrating negotiations and haggling for weeks. But as he watched the infinitely rich Steve Cohen and his team renege on a deal they'd agreed to, railroading Correa with perceived leverage as they cut the guarantee in half and stipulated annual physicals on the back end ... suddenly the appeal of an organization that's shown him nothing but warmth and good faith looked all the more welcoming by comparison.

It was a frustrating process, said Boras. “But in the end, seeing how happy he was and how excited the Twins are, maybe this was the way it was meant to be all along.’’ 

Looking back one year earlier, we can also see how the "Minnesota Nice" factor played a role in the Twins locking up their other franchise centerpiece to a highly favorable deal.

It's easy to forget now, but Byron Buxton's contract talks with the Twins once looked as imperiled as Correa's. In another very realistic scenario, Buxton could've been alongside the shortstop peddling his services as a free agent this offseason.

But just ahead of the MLB shutdown last November, Buxton and the Twins reached agreement on an extension that could only be described as extremely team-friendly. There's little doubt he would be in line to make significantly more in guaranteed money this offseason than the $100 million he got from the Twins in an incentive-laden seven-year deal signed back in November of 2021. A $15 million annual base for a player of Buck's caliber is still a little hard to conceive.

Make no mistake: Buxton's willingness to sign this contract was an extraordinary showing of loyalty. That level of loyalty is only earned through trust and affinity toward an organization that's done right by him. The Twins deserve credit for keeping that bond intact through a regime change and then some.

This is speculation, but I believe another aspect of Minnesota's low-key culture that appeals to Buxton, as an oft-injured player who takes it pretty hard, is the relatively lesser scrutiny and sensationalized media commentary compared to large markets. 

Not to say there aren't a bunch of obnoxious Twins fans always making their little quips and barbs about Buxton's tendency to get hurt – they annoy the crap out of me – but what he faces here is nothing compared to the onslaught of rancor he'd face in LA or New York for having the gall to be frequently unavailable. 

I think he recognizes that and it's part of what makes him comfortable in this setting. Buxton gives Joe Mauer a run for his money when it comes to talent/ego ratio – a perfect successor in the soft-spoken superstar lineage. Is it a coincidence neither was eager to leave?

Sometimes I get annoyed with how much the Twins franchise embodies the "Minnesota Nice" credo to an almost nauseating degree. From the decades of understated yet ultra-humane leadership under Terry Ryan, to the legend of an "oh-shucks" hometown Hall of Famer, right down to the two friendly chaps shakings hands in their logo, the Twins can be comically on-script for their locale.

But then, I wouldn't have it any other way. The Twins don't have many built-in advantages compared to larger markets when it comes to attracting talent and outpacing the field. So they've sought to turn treating people the right way into a differentiator, and – sad as it might be as a general statement – it seems to have become one. 

Hard to argue with that strategy.

View full article

Thanks Nick. This was a really "nice" article. And you know what... I believe you are correct. Not everyone wants to raise a family in the hustle and bustle of a big city. I sure don't. I'm a small town guy, who enjoys the slow pace and the friendly smiles and casual talk in a small town. Life does not have to be a rush to the finish. For me, I'm happier with a pleasant stroll.

Just a wonderful piece of writing, Nick! Well said!

Having lived the majority of my life in Nebraska as a transplanted South Dakotan, and being about as big of a HUSKER fan as you can be, there has always been a terrible misconception about Lincoln, NE and UNL here. After all, in the heart of the country, we are still referred to as "fly over" territory. When prospects arrive here for visits...from all over the country...even those who don't commit here constantly comment how they expected cornfields everywhere and for Lincoln to be some small, farming town. Those that attend fall in love with the university and Nebraska and it's people. Many stay here and live their lives. The rest remain HUSKERS for life and regularly stay in touch and visit. 

And I believe Minnesota, and the CITIES...as you spoke about...are often viewed in the same manner once players are actually here. And I believe everything Correa has spoken of in praise is honest. I've always been pleased by how many former Twins are regular visitors and attendees for events and ST. Guys like Blyleven and Carew and the great Oliva, amongst many others, seem to remain Twins at heart. And the number of broadcasters over the years seem to have that same attachment. And while I'm certain all teams have this alumni participation to some degree, the genuine love and appreciation for the Twins and Minnesota is something very real, IMO.

And while we can debate ownership and the FO for things they do, and don't do, I've never heard former players or agents ever admonish TWINS TERRITORY or ownership, or the FO. In fact, it's been quite the opposite. In fact, I've heard and read many comments from agents that they have great respect for the FO and how they conduct business. The recent Correa re-sign and Boras comments reflect that, I believe.

Does being "Minnesota Nice" give us a leg up in FA? Unfortunately, not really. Money, opportunity for more and big city appeal are still going to rule for many, if not most. And Correa's openness about being here, and Boras's flattering comments, are not going to make Minnesota a destination spot where players are going to accept a warm and fuzzy discount. After all, money and opportunity still speak loudest.

But it does provide a legitimacy to doing business the "right way", and help paint a better picture of what to expect when you are a member of the Twins. (Or any team). (I was pleased and proud, as a Twins fan, when covid hit and the Twins were one of the first and few teams who didn't cut staff and continued to pay staff and milb players).  It CAN assist in close contracts or re-signings, such as Buxton. And I do agree that not everyone is cut out to be in a market where you have 20 microphones in your face after a game, and 5 major newspapers and 30 talk shows examining everything you do. 

Doing things the right way and an overall sentiment of nice doesn't win games or titles. But it can't hurt. Especially when you treat players with respect and class. And again, Correa isn't going to bring in some FA on a massive, under-slot deal because he's a great player who actually loves being here. But his cache, and the opportunity to actually play here, IMO, helps change the perspective of what its like to play and live in "fly over" country.

GO TWINS!

12 minutes ago, DocBauer said:

Having lived the majority of my life in Nebraska as a transplanted South Dakotan, and being about as big of a HUSKER fan as you can be, there has always been a terrible misconception about Lincoln, NE and UNL here. After all, in the heart of the country, we are still referred to as "fly over" territory. When prospects arrive here for visits...from all over the country...even those who don't commit here constantly comment how they expected cornfields everywhere and for Lincoln to be some small, farming town. Those that attend fall in love with the university and Nebraska and it's people. Many stay here and live their lives. The rest remain HUSKERS for life and regularly stay in touch and visit. 

And I believe Minnesota, and the CITIES...as you spoke about...are often viewed in the same manner once players are actually here. And I believe everything Correa has spoken of in praise is honest. I've always been pleased by how many former Twins are regular visitors and attendees for events and ST. Guys like Blyleven and Carew and the great Oliva, amongst many others, seem to remain Twins at heart. And the number of broadcasters over the years seem to have that same attachment. And while I'm certain all teams have this alumni participation to some degree, the genuine love and appreciation for the Twins and Minnesota is something very real, IMO.

And while we can debate ownership and the FO for things they do, and don't do, I've never heard former players or agents ever admonish TWINS TERRITORY or ownership, or the FO. In fact, it's been quite the opposite. In fact, I've heard and read many comments from agents that they have great respect for the FO and how they conduct business. The recent Correa re-sign and Boras comments reflect that, I believe.

Does being "Minnesota Nice" give us a leg up in FA? Unfortunately, not really. Money, opportunity for more and big city appeal are still going to rule for many, if not most. And Correa's openness about being here, and Boras's flattering comments, are not going to make Minnesota a destination spot where players are going to accept a warm and fuzzy discount. After all, money and opportunity still speak loudest.

But it does provide a legitimacy to doing business the "right way", and help paint a better picture of what to expect when you are a member of the Twins. (Or any team). (I was pleased and proud, as a Twins fan, when covid hit and the Twins were one of the first and few teams who didn't cut staff and continued to pay staff and milb players).  It CAN assist in close contracts or re-signings, such as Buxton. And I do agree that not everyone is cut out to be in a market where you have 20 microphones in your face after a game, and 5 major newspapers and 30 talk shows examining everything you do. 

Doing things the right way and an overall sentiment of nice doesn't win games or titles. But it can't hurt. Especially when you treat players with respect and class. And again, Correa isn't going to bring in some FA on a massive, under-slot deal because he's a great player who actually loves being here. But his cache, and the opportunity to actually play here, IMO, helps change the perspective of what its like to play and live in "fly over" country.

GO TWINS!

Wonderful post Doc.  Well written. Is your doctorate in literature? Thank you.

53 minutes ago, DocBauer said:

GO TWINS!

While I am in agreement with most of what you eloquently presented, I would like to add to one of your statements.  I believe that Minnesota "nice" could become an important selling point to free agents if the front office/ownership would loosen up the purse strings to:  1) make a few high-impact trades (Arraez and Kepler for Cabrera) to fill the relatively few holes that the Twins still have, and 2) extend all the young talent that appear to have bright futures.  Success in the post-season, coupled with the far less stressful playing atmosphere, might be highly prized by enough free agents to turn the Twins into annual contenders.

37 minutes ago, tarheeltwinsfan said:

Wonderful post Doc.  Well written. Is your doctorate in literature? Thank you.

Honestly, THANK YOU for the praise. (If not deserved).

"Doc" is a nickname given to me many years ago because I am a writer of journalism, fiction, and poetry. I have often joked that I have a BS in B.S. given my upbringing and semi-intelligance, lol, combined with at least some talent, and life wisdom and perspective. But, alas, higher education didn't agree with me when attempted a few decades ago. So no, I don't have a paper degree. And I hope that doesn't disappoint or change perspective of me or my nickname. (Shhh...I'm pretty smart, but don't tell anyone, lol).

But again, an HONEST THANK YOU for your kind words!

24 minutes ago, terrydactyls said:

While I am in agreement with most of what you eloquently presented, I would like to add to one of your statements.  I believe that Minnesota "nice" could become an important selling point to free agents if the front office/ownership would loosen up the purse strings to:  1) make a few high-impact trades (Arraez and Kepler for Cabrera) to fill the relatively few holes that the Twins still have, and 2) extend all the young talent that appear to have bright futures.  Success in the post-season, coupled with the far less stressful playing atmosphere, might be highly prized by enough free agents to turn the Twins into annual contenders.

I always distance myself from trade possibilities because they are just so abstract and virtually impossible to predict. 

But I DO agree with early extensions for young talent. That's something started by Cleveland a few years ago and makes sense. The question is who, and when, and how much?

The Twins have started to do that with Sano, Kepler, and Polanco. Berrios never turned out. And we can all argue about Sano and Kepler. But the Polanco signing was very smart. And yet, Polanco, despite his talent and love for him, might be pushed out soon due to the young talent rising in the system. Doesn't mean the signing was wrong. On the contrary.  

The Twins are in an unusual flux period where they have a potentially contending team with a lot of young talent just ready to make their mark. They've got 3 arms to make decisions on. But they already decided to extend Paddack. 

Easy to see a few more in 2023 to make moves on. Do they jump on Ryan, for example. I don't think they jump on AK or Larnach because they are still not 100% and options remain. But the FO could offer extensions if they are 100% and show themselves the way we've been hoping for.

I like the idea of early extensions. You're going to miss on a few. But the ones you are right on far outweighs the misses.

I think another way to describe some of this behavior is to say the organization acted with integrity.  

In addition to Nick’s thoughts there is another benefit of this recent activity that could positively impact future signings—the Boras relationship.  It was not too many years ago that when the discussion of trading for or drafting of Boras’ clients arose many on this board were fearful because once they got close to free agency we expected them to bolt. We did not want to draft or trade for such players. They would become unaffordable. They would not stay. Five or ten years ago were any Twins players represented by Boras?  

Now, shortly after signing C4 we sign Paddock (to what I think most would agree is a pretty team-friendly deal). . Boras is his agent (I haven’t checked for the full list but there are other Boras clients in the Twins’ organization). I do think the relationship with Boras helps with future negotiations with his clients. And possibly more importantly, when major leaguers see that the highest profile agent has many clients employed by the Twins it can only help their perception of the organization. And by extension, their willingness to consider signing here. 

I’ve been wondering how much of a role this sentiment played in the Twins being able to extend Paddack to what could be a very favorable deal with an agent, Boras, who doesn’t typically seem inclined to deals (though that probably isn’t a totally accurate past portrayal).

9 hours ago, DocBauer said:

I always distance myself from trade possibilities because they are just so abstract and virtually impossible to predict. 

But I DO agree with early extensions for young talent. That's something started by Cleveland a few years ago and makes sense. The question is who, and when, and how much?

The Twins have started to do that with Sano, Kepler, and Polanco. Berrios never turned out. And we can all argue about Sano and Kepler. But the Polanco signing was very smart. And yet, Polanco, despite his talent and love for him, might be pushed out soon due to the young talent rising in the system. Doesn't mean the signing was wrong. On the contrary.  

The Twins are in an unusual flux period where they have a potentially contending team with a lot of young talent just ready to make their mark. They've got 3 arms to make decisions on. But they already decided to extend Paddack. 

Easy to see a few more in 2023 to make moves on. Do they jump on Ryan, for example. I don't think they jump on AK or Larnach because they are still not 100% and options remain. But the FO could offer extensions if they are 100% and show themselves the way we've been hoping for.

I like the idea of early extensions. You're going to miss on a few. But the ones you are right on far outweighs the misses.

Concerning the extensions to Kepler and Sano - for what the contracts were, I believe they were all successfull.  We may have been hoping for more out of Sano, but he did hit alot of homers for us, and some of those moonshots were worth a few dollars in the seats as entertainment.  Kepler is still on the team and provides excellent defense and is also providing some value as a trade chip. (Yet to be determined).  But all three were team friendly contracts. And in my humble opinion, very good extensions.  Thanks, and see you at the ballpark.

9 hours ago, DocBauer said:

I agree that locking up good young talent early in the process is the best thing for a team to do. The key is to success in this specific matter is the same thing that is the key to success in general: accurate player evaluation (in other words scouting) and effective player development. Do those things well and you'll have a continuous pipeline of emerging stars with little to no need for free agents.

Great take Nick.  I agree with many of the comments here and have always been proud of my "fly over country" roots and the integrity we, and our FO, have up here.

I also like the comments about Boras.  I too have noticed him warming up to our FO and that can be a good thing for the future of FA signings.  Not sure but I think he may represent Lewis and possibly AK and if so, that may help in the future.

Fantastic article, Nick.  And Doc, that may have been the best comment I have seen in a long, long time.  Although I have never lived in Lincoln, remain a fan since doing some business there 40 some years ago.  Love that town and really want to see the Huskers back to what they were, just not against my Badgers.

As much crap as ownership and this FO receive from fans here and elsewhere, could it be that the top guys really are good guys?  Being recognized for that doesn't happen over night, but recognition will eventually bring positive results which may be starting to come.

Thank you for this article, NIck, I agree 100%.  When this signing of Correa thing was going on, I trusted the front office was making a reasonable, well-thought-out offer, based on the medical information and the evidence they had accumulated over the year he played for the Twins.  Then the offers from the Mets and Giants came in and the Twin Cities media was mostly disgusted with the FO for "not even being in the ball game".   "They must know they are not in the game with that offer" was a refrain I read and heard often.  Well, maybe they did know more than what they were credited with, maybe they were less impulsive than the others the first time around.  The fact that they continued in the discussion and, I believe, legitimately cared about Correa as a person more than about where he landed were instrumental in the final outcome.  The Twins FO did not go to the default position of anger and vitriol of comments like, "we were his third choice", or "he really didn't want to be here", without mentioning the millions of dollars involved in Correa's decision.  I enjoyed the drama of the signing and now I will look forward to the Twins season, my 62nd season as a Twins fan (I still remember sneaking out to the Nash Rambler - it did not run very often and had no reverse - but it had a great radio, at 10:30 PM with my cousins and listening to Herb Carneal and Halsey Hall describe Harmon Killebrew's at bat in the bottom of the 10th) instead of finding other pursuits like I did at the end of last year when we were playing a AAA lineup.

4 hours ago, Tiantwindup said:

In addition to Nick’s thoughts there is another benefit of this recent activity that could positively impact future signings—the Boras relationship.  

I'm glad you brought this up. I was going to mention it in this article but couldn't find the right place.

Boras is known as much as any agent for fiercely advocating on behalf of his clients. Yes, he wants to get them money, but he is also deeply invested in their interests and finding them the best fits. That's why he's risen to the top. 

The fact that he seems so inclined to do business with the Twins -- and the Paddack deal is another good example -- seems like another point in favor of this article's premise. Even if they don't have the spending power of a lot of other teams, he seems to appreciate doing business with them.

ugh.... I'm clearly in the minority, but Correa and Boras came back because the Twins had the most money on the table.... everything else is window dressing and make good. 

If having his son grow up Minnesota nice had anything to do with anything, he would not have chased TWO other teams and negotiated for WEEKS with NY! And the fact the Twins were OFFERING THE MOST MONEY when he finally signed with us was just a happy coincidence in his pursuit of Minnesota Nice..... yeeaaaaah riiiiight

It's great that we ended up with him and Minnesota IS nice, but the two are completely unrelated in this case. 

10 minutes ago, D.C Twins said:

ugh.... I'm clearly in the minority, but Correa and Boras came back because the Twins had the most money on the table.... everything else is window dressing and make good. 

If having his son grow up Minnesota nice had anything to do with anything, he would not have chased TWO other teams and negotiated for WEEKS with NY! And the fact the Twins were OFFERING THE MOST MONEY when he finally signed with us was just a happy coincidence in his pursuit of Minnesota Nice..... yeeaaaaah riiiiight

It's great that we ended up with him and Minnesota IS nice, but the two are completely unrelated in this case. 

I'll disagree. There's a team in New England that has more financial resources than the Twins and a gaping hole at shortstop. If Correa wanted to play there I'm sure Boras would have involved them, but their absence in the pursuit of Correa was conspicuous. My take on that is that Correa wanted nothing to do with playing for their manager based on previous interactions and that this was communicated to the team very early on. I think if Correa had expressed interest that their offer would have been higher than what he signed for with the Twins.

3 hours ago, Nine of twelve said:

I'll disagree. There's a team in New England that has more financial resources than the Twins and a gaping hole at shortstop. If Correa wanted to play there I'm sure Boras would have involved them, but their absence in the pursuit of Correa was conspicuous. My take on that is that Correa wanted nothing to do with playing for their manager based on previous interactions and that this was communicated to the team very early on. I think if Correa had expressed interest that their offer would have been higher than what he signed for with the Twins.

You are definitely in the majority :) I did not hear of any Boston offers because I think they were focusing on their own 300+ million contract at the time (which they got done).

If NY had offered 220 million (or even maybe the same 200 million) guaranteed over the first six years... he would have been a Met... and somehow found a way to get over missing out on Minnesota Nice. 

If Minnesota Nice was actually an important factor, do you really think he and Boras would have aggressively pursued the OPPOSITE Minnesota Nice in New York?!?!

This is a blatant PR campaign to make up for ending up back in Minnesota after spurning them for other teams (Minnesota... those other teams meant nothing to me .... I promise!... It's YOU I care about :)

23 hours ago, tarheeltwinsfan said:

Thanks Nick. This was a really "nice" article. And you know what... I believe you are correct. Not everyone wants to raise a family in the hustle and bustle of a big city. I sure don't. I'm a small town guy, who enjoys the slow pace and the friendly smiles and casual talk in a small town. Life does not have to be a rush to the finish. For me, I'm happier with a pleasant stroll.

Ninilchik, AK population is 868. Just about right.