Twins Daily
  • Create Account

The Case to Bring Back Miguel Sanó

There’s little doubt that anything suggesting the Twins should bring Miguel Sanó will be met with eye rolls (at best) or emphatic statements that include some expletives (at worst), but at least hear me out.

Miguel Sanó was one of the best prospects in baseball; one of the most highly-touted prospects the Twins have ever had in their organization. Miguel Sanó is one of the biggest Twins disappointments in club history; a global top prospect who never lived up to his billing.

Image courtesy of Matt Blewitt, USA Today

The Twins paid Miguel Sano over $9 million for only one home run among five hits in 60 at-bats in 2022. And then paid him another $3 million to simply go away.

Much has been made of Sanó’s inability to stay healthy or in shape or, simply, not show up a few dozen pounds overweight.

Everything above is completely true. So true, in fact, that even those who look for silver linings aren’t going to have much of an argument to make. 

But I still think the Twins should consider bringing him back into the fold. 

The expectations surrounding Sanó were sky-high well before he made his major-league debut as a 22-year-old in the summer of 2015. And despite striking out in over a third of his plate appearance, he still managed to hit 18 home runs in 80 games, reach base over 38% of the time and put up an OPS of .916. He rarely played in the field as he was coming off missing the 204 season because of Tommy John surgery, but the vision of being the third baseman of the future was still bright.

Of course, we all know what happened the next year: someone got the wise idea that Miguel Sanó could be a right-fielder (while literally every not-as-smart person knew he couldn’t) and Sanó was back to playing third base exclusively by July 1. 

Getting jerked around caused him to struggle offensively, but still he managed 25 home runs and bounced back to be an All-Star in the 2017 season. 

The 2018 and 2020 seasons were both really bad, but sandwiched around a 34-home run year in 2019 where Sanó post a career-high .923 OPS.

You could take the 2020 season for what it was - short with a lack of time to prepare - add it to the 30 home run season in 2021 and think maybe, just maybe, Miguel Sanó could get back on track in 2022. But that train derailed before even leaving the station. 

A torn meniscus on April 26 and more knee issues almost immediately after returning in July caused an abrupt end to a short, disappointing season.

The Twins paid Sanó more than $34 million as a major leaguer and watched him strike out over 1000(!) times. And when his Twins career ended unceremoniously when they bought out his contract, many were happy to wipe their hands off him.

And that’s fine.

But as you look at the current construction of the Twins roster, you can’t help but wonder about the health and depth of first base. 

Luis Arraez - all 5’ 10” of him - is expected to be the Opening Day starter. Arreaz was fantastic in 2021 and led the league in hitting, but is not your prototypical first baseman… and he’s not exactly a model of healthy knees.

Jose Miranda played a lot of first base last year… but with Gio Urshela getting traded, Miranda is the primary third baseman.

Alex Kirilloff is a solution… if he recovers from having his arm shortened after battling wrist that cut short his last two seasons.

Max Kepler and Joey Gallo are both options in the sense that they’re bigger targets, but neither has played a lot of first base recently. But that’s an easy fix. Tell ‘em Wash.

And there’s where Sanó should enter the conversation. On a minor-league deal with an invitation to Spring Training. If he shows up overweight and out of shape, you can cut him. If he shows up a little overweight and in a shape other than completely round, you can send him to St. Paul to hit bombs and be a call away if the questionable depth fails in front of him.

Miguel Sanó doesn’t have to be the #3 hitter. There doesn’t have to be the expectations of being an All-Star or hitting 30 home runs. But any gas that might still be in his almost-30-year-old tank sure beats the idea of rostering the likes of the Curtis Terrys, Roy Moraleses and Tim Beckhams of the world.

It does for me anyway.

View full article

Eh ... maybe as depth as long as he's not taking up a 40-man spot. Seems as if we have enough backups to play 1st, otherwise he has no position. And we have someone else on the roster with no position in Arraez. I just don't see a fit, in the long run. And if we are calling him up, then something is amiss.

If he is willing to sign a minor league deal why not.  He seemed to be getting better plate discipline but there is something off in his swing path or hand eye coordination as he swings through a lot of pitches.  Also the umps do not seem to give him the benefit of the doubt on close calls.  Maybe getting in line with the Robo umps could help him in the future.  Twins don't have ton of right handed bats ready and no one coming up in the system for a while either. If Sano can perform at AAA then maybe he can thrive with a second chance?

It is interesting that there hasn't been any mention of what is currently happening with Sano by anyone. The suggestion of Miguel as minor league depth in this post is the first really and fair.

The injuries, the wavering focus, and the bad swing habits pushed Sano down a deep hole. I have wondered if he had the fire to play baseball any longer. The travel, the judgments, and lifestyle can be daunting and attack an individual's confidence. Perhaps Sano has everything he needs and more right now in his orbit to live the lifestyle that he chooses. Satisfaction and happiness is very inexpensive when one finds their own environment.

If Sano still has the desire to excel at baseball, he could make the necessary moves to put him in a position for another opportunity. First, Miguel must be completely healed and healthy. Second, he needs to be in top physical condition because as an athlete ages the loss of youthful quickness must be balanced by experience and conditioning. Third, Sano needs to correct the flaws that crept into his swing. All of these are very difficult but possible. The main question is whether or not Miguel Sano has the deep yearning to return to baseball at the highest level. What is he doing right now and what has he done since last October? The lack of any information on Miguel makes me think he has stepped away from the game. It would take less than five minutes, in person, to discover whether Sano is still interested in playing baseball. If he is, sign him. 

In some ways I feel bad for Sano.  Fair or not, the words potential and expectations have chased him forever.  He got jerked around in our system, had some injury issues, and was chastised for a lack of work ethic (not 100% sure how warranted).

While I think his skill set would fit into something the Twins need, I do not think he should come back here.  He needs a fresh start with no level of expectations from the FO or the coaching staff.  In some ways this is a positive for him because he can really choose his next step.

That being said, we all know how this is going to turn out.  He will go to the Orioles or some other low level team and hit .270 with 40 HR.  That is the Twins way...

Sano has always been a polarizing dude, so I'm not shocked at the responses. I'm not suggesting a big-league deal - and I have no idea about the willingness to either sign a minor-league deal or if he has the desire to still ball - but the Saints aren't going to be trotting out the "next big thing" anytime soon, so there's not downside of getting Sano on a minor-league deal if he's interested (and if he is, a change of scenery would probably be best for him anway).

The reality is the Twins/Saints are most likely to sign some random MILB FA to fill the role.

In 2022, Curtis Terry was the primary first baseman. In 2021, Tomas Telis, Damek Tomscha and Sherman Johnson each manned first for over 20 games. My point is that if I have to choose between Sano and someone like those guys listed, the choice shouldn't be hard... and there's no risk, yet the possibility of some reward.

2 hours ago, Lagputter said:

On a minor league deal, as depth I like it.  Maybe he can get right at St Paul and contribute again.

This is the right position to take.

First it is NOT about a fit for this team NOW.  He has to earn it again.

But as put here, a minor league deal. If they can right him then they can figure out where to slot him.  I would assign him to St Paul if only because you can keep an eye on his progress and tantalize/motivate him with being so close physically to the majors.

BUT and this is key to helping him succeed.

• Nutritionist dedicated to Sano. I know it cost but I think caring about your "family" and giving him all the help to succeed.
  • Dedicated hitting coach as well, or at least one that is dedicated to helping Sano.  With his power, if he dropped his SO rate to 30% or below, look out.

I think he is salvageable.  I really do.  Surprisingly optimistic position for a Twins fan I know but blame my Mom. ;) 

The ultimate key is, does Sano Want It.  You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make the horse drink.

Yeah.... but no. We have the reigning AL batting champion at 1B (knees kept healthier by playing 1B). We have (if early reports are true) Alex Kirilloff swinging pain-free for the first time in two years. We have an aging 2B in Polanco whose bat might still play there (and keep his legs healthier). We have several top-hitting prospects (like Lewis and Lee) who list at SS, but could play as well at 2B or 3B (possibly displacing Miranda and/or Polanco who could shift ABs to 1B). We have a plethora of tall corner OFs (Larnach, Wallner, etc) whose bats may push them to the MLB team, and whose defense or opportunities might shift them to 1B.

There is no way I want an 30 y.o. over-the-hill, vaguely motivated player who doesn't take coaching blocking the path of any of that development (some of which should be happening at St Paul). Whatever future Sano has in baseball (and I don't think much will be at the MLB level), it probably is best for him to start it in a different organization.

The brutal truth behind Sano is that he has two month spells at time where he is completely useless and it happens every year (sometimes twice!). Everyone understands the ups and downs of baseball seasons, but for someone with no positional value, it's imperative that your bat carries you. Sano's just does not and holds up a roster spot. I'd rather gamble on Kiriloff's wrist. 

We desperately need a RH bat, and the ceiling for him is high enough that it’s ridiculous to just flat out say no.  That’s clearly a biased take based on some personal dislike for the guy.

I’d gladly take him and stash him at AAA and see if he gets on one of his ridiculous hot streaks.  He’s a guy that, when locked in at the plate, can carry a team by hitting for power from the right side like nobody else we have on this roster (maybe Buxton and Correa).  Maybe those days are gone, who knows, but it’s worth a flier on an incentive-laden minor league deal.

At his absolute worst (2020 and 2021), he still OPS’s well above .750.  Still OPS+ of 105, 112.  Those are well above Gordon’s numbers, who people think is some sort of phenom.  He’s never hit for average as low as Gallo did last year (still above .200 at his worst).  He’s perfectly capable of slugging around .500.  I get some of these guys have defensive value (Gordon’s is ridiculously overrated by most Twins fans, though, probably due to his slender stature giving the impression of a fast guy) - but writing him off as a useless player just reeks of bias.  We carry worse players on this roster every year.

3 hours ago, EGFTShaw said:

This is the right position to take.

First it is NOT about a fit for this team NOW.  He has to earn it again.

But as put here, a minor league deal. If they can right him then they can figure out where to slot him.  I would assign him to St Paul if only because you can keep an eye on his progress and tantalize/motivate him with being so close physically to the majors.

BUT and this is key to helping him succeed.

• Nutritionist dedicated to Sano. I know it cost but I think caring about your "family" and giving him all the help to succeed.
  • Dedicated hitting coach as well, or at least one that is dedicated to helping Sano.  With his power, if he dropped his SO rate to 30% or below, look out.

I think he is salvageable.  I really do.  Surprisingly optimistic position for a Twins fan I know but blame my Mom. ;) 

The ultimate key is, does Sano Want It.  You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make the horse drink.

I read somewhere that they had a nutritionist for him.  They also had a grand plan for him to get in shape the year they experimented with him in the OF.  The appearance is that he is just not that committed.  He repeatedly showed up for spring training out of shape even with 10s of millions on the line.  Some guys are more committed than others.  I Never liked the extension because he appeared to be someone who is not fully committed.

If he's willing to sign a minor-league deal, then sure.  I'd let him bat in St. Paul and work on getting a call-up.

Personally, I think he would be better off financially going overseas to join La Tortugo and wow the Japanese with his size and strength and work his way back to the Bigs in that way.