Twins Daily
  • Create Account

And we're back! Server transition complete.

So things are back up and running but will only be optimized once we get a better gauge on traffic and server load, which will take a week or so.

In the meantime, if you find a bug, post it here so we can get working on it (though I expect there will be very few bugs, that side of this transition usually isn't a huge problem).

18 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

So things are back up and running but will only be optimized once we get a better gauge on traffic and server load, which will take a week or so.

In the meantime, if you find a bug, post it here so we can get working on it (though I expect there will be very few bugs, that side of this transition usually isn't a huge problem).

The page loads are quite slow for me. I assume it's this part that's causing it?

This stuff is all beyond my comprehension though. 

1 hour ago, nicksaviking said:

The page loads are quite slow for me. I assume it's this part that's causing it?

This stuff is all beyond my comprehension though. 

Have to agree pretty massive slowness for me so far.  Certainly slower than the site used to run before.  Delays are pretty significant for this day and age.  They are sure they are not running on backup site or dial up? lol.

This stuff can be tough but I can say I didn't expect it to be this slow.

Yep, getting reports of 504s, working on it. We're going to have to spool up another server instance, we're still trying to evaluate what we need hardware-wise and how the site needs to be optimized. This new server is an entirely different framework and far more complex than our old setup. We'll get it sorted, just gonna take a little time.

Which is why we do this in mid-January.

2 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Yep, getting reports of 504s, working on it. We're going to have to spool up another server instance, we're still trying to evaluate what we need hardware-wise and how the site needs to be optimized. This new server is an entirely different framework and far more complex than our old setup. We'll get it sorted, just gonna take a little time.

Just an FYI things are lightning fast for me now. Thanks for all you do!

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Just an FYI things are lightning fast for me now. Thanks for all you do!

Just popped in to say we should be good now! We’ll continue to work around the margins but we’re in a nice stable place for now, it seems.

And you’re very welcome! Thanks for all of your patience!

3 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

…while the Vikings are in a playoff game..:) I actually did try to follow the game thread here, even though I am not specifically a Vikes fan.  It was fun to see Twins fans I know here suffering through a big Vikings game. 

16 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Don't you know that you should do these mid-December? January is when the Twins actually start to do things. December is when they do nothing and everyone wants to burn the site down!

6 minutes ago, nicksaviking said:

Don't you know that you should do these mid-December? January is when the Twins actually start to do things. December is when they do nothing and everyone wants to burn the site down!

Financially, down time in December hurts a lot more than January, as ad rates are roughly tripled.

Also, generally traffic is higher in December.

31 minutes ago, nicksaviking said:

At least they waited until AFTER all the Correa stuff … can you imagine if this was in the middle of that? I say, ‘Well timed, Brock!’

41 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

At least they waited until AFTER all the Correa stuff … can you imagine if this was in the middle of that? I say, ‘Well timed, Brock!’

Yeah, I spent a lot of time staring at a calendar. We had to schedule this months ago so it's was definitely a "put it on the calendar and hold your breath" situation.

One guy bitched and moaned that I did it on international signing day and I just didn't have time for his crap. I mean, it's bloody hard to schedule this kind of thing while working through personal schedules, the baseball calendar, traffic loads that will be impacted, etc. There are a dozen factors that have to be accounted for and when the dust settles, there are no "good" dates, only "more crappy" and "less crappy". And yeah, I chose "less crappy" for a half dozen reasons a casual outsider just doesn't understand.

1 minute ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Yeah, I spent a lot of time staring at a calendar. We had to schedule this months ago so it's was definitely a "put it on the calendar and hold your breath" situation.

One guy bitched and moaned that I did it on international signing day and I just didn't have time for his crap. I mean, it's bloody hard to schedule this kind of thing while working through personal schedules, the baseball calendar, traffic loads that will be missed, etc. There are a dozen factors that have to be accounted for and when the dust settles, there are no "good" dates, only "more crappy" and "less crappy". And yeah, I chose "less crappy" for a half dozen reasons a casual outsider just doesn't understand.

I'm surprised you didn't get complaints that this spoiled the game thread for the Vikings WC game ... ;) 

1 hour ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

One guy bitched and moaned that I did it on international signing day and I just didn't have time for his crap. I mean, it's bloody hard to schedule this kind of thing while working through personal schedules, the baseball calendar, traffic loads that will be impacted, etc. There are a dozen factors that have to be accounted for and when the dust settles, there are no "good" dates, only "more crappy" and "less crappy". And yeah, I chose "less crappy" for a half dozen reasons a casual outsider just doesn't understand.

Less crappy is the best crappy.

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Twins community on the internet.