Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Three Free Agent Outfield Upgrades for the Twins

20 hours ago, Greglw3 said:

They don’t have one projected regularvoutfielder who they can count on for health or is an established major league or hits over .230.

Larnach-health, unestablished

Kirilloff-health, unestablished

Kepler-Poor offense that hurts the team

Gallo-he may rebound, is a great athlete but hit .160 last year

Buxton-health that cripples his ability to play even close to his ability, Question mark.

Thus I think the Twins need probably 3 outfielders, maybe Mancini, Pollock and Michael A. Taylor. 

Keeping the OF status Quo will risk another losing season. I think Falvey and Levines are going to shake things up with trades.

3 new outfielders?  I have to ask who are you getting rid of?..and how?

On 1/4/2023 at 4:18 PM, LA VIkes Fan said:

I agree with Riverbrian on the concept. We desperately need to deepen the lineup unless this year's plan is the hope that multiple inexperienced players will step up (Larnach, Kirilloff, Jeffers, Wallner) and/or continue up (Mirnda, Gordon). Lots of "ifs" there. We could really use a good professional RH hitter. 

The question to me is whether any of those 3 guys actually meets that definition. Pollack is on the downslope, McCutcheon is farther down that slope, and Mancini is a wild card after his huge fade last year. I thought about Nelson Cruz but he fell off the table last year and will be 43 in July.  I guess Mancini is he best veteran option out there but he scares me a little. I just don't see trading Kepler as getting us much more than a decent MLB reliever or a decent prospect or two so that isn't the short term answer for the lineup either.

I'm almost ready to say that we should just go ahead and run with what we have and call 2023 a development year. Hope for 85 wins, be ok with 80 wins, be excited about more than 85, and call for heads to roll with less than 80. It's not what I was hoping for a couple of months ago but maybe ok.

If you consider 80-85 wins a development year....Id call that great job considering we were only developing players.  But heck 90 wins probably wins the division.  So hopefully we can develop and win the division at the same time.