Twins Daily
  • Create Account

If only the Twins could find a right handed bat who averages 38 home runs, 98 RBI, 90 runs scored per 162 games with a career OPS over .800

dxpavelka

9 hours ago, cHawk said:

That's probably the ceiling for Joey Gallo, which is his 2021 campaign. That being said, it's unlikely he touches this ceiling, given that he's been terrible in two of the past three seasons.

The numbers he quotes are real. An actual player available to all 30 teams.  

29 minutes ago, Nine of twelve said:

Would there still be interest if the player had 234 K's per 162 games and was a so-so fielder?

I think it is actually 243, but I might be more concerned with the batting average being sub .204 in 3 of the last 5 years, and only real position is probably DH. Would he be willing to sign a minor league deal with some incentives in a "can you make a comeback year"?

45 minutes ago, Nine of twelve said:

Would there still be interest if the player had 234 K's per 162 games and was a so-so fielder?

I'd be more concerned about him actually staying on the field and even sniffing the numbers in the OP.  I'd figure out how to get him in the lineup if I was reasonably confident he'd play 130+ games and dabble with those numbers.

However, I am not in this case. So...

I am a little surprised he hasn't signed yet. He clubbed 30 HRs in 2021. With the fixation on power these days I figured someone would give him a major league deal.  As bad as he was last year,  it was only 70 at-bats. If Joey Gallo is worth $11 million, you gotta figure Sano is worth at least a few million. 

Gallo hasn't ever compounded his slump issues by being out of shape, or gaining 30+ pounds on a rehab assignment.

Even last year while hitting 160, Gallo still put 22 over the fence. Miguel last year was so devastated, he couldn't even get around on crap fastballs. He was so much worse than Gallo last year. He'll get a ML invite to a training camp somewhere. My money is on Tampa or Oakland. 

Sano's stats are exactly the reason you need to look up from your spreadsheets once in a while (and I do live my spreadsheets ?). Look at Kirk Cousins.... worst QB rating of his career, best W-L record. There is a human element that cannot be quantified! I believe that is where great coaches, managers and FOs are defined.

5 hours ago, NotAboutWinning said:

Sano's stats are exactly the reason you need to look up from your spreadsheets once in a while (and I do live my spreadsheets ?). Look at Kirk Cousins.... worst QB rating of his career, best W-L record. There is a human element that cannot be quantified! I believe that is where great coaches, managers and FOs are defined.

"There is a human element that cannot be quantified!"  TOTALLY agree.  In fact, I'll see you that statement and raise you Eddie Rosario.  Cue the naysayers in 3-2-1..

23 hours ago, August J Gloop said:

Gallo hasn't ever compounded his slump issues by being out of shape, or gaining 30+ pounds on a rehab assignment.

Even last year while hitting 160, Gallo still put 22 over the fence. Miguel last year was so devastated, he couldn't even get around on crap fastballs. He was so much worse than Gallo last year. He'll get a ML invite to a training camp somewhere. My money is on Tampa or Oakland. 

Kind of hard to draw too many conclusions about last year from 69 plate appearances.

On 12/29/2022 at 9:04 AM, chpettit19 said:

Miguel Sano.

A little confusing because Sano has never hit 38 HR in a season nor 98 RBIs.

So I think the wording was a little tricky.

And e-gads, he’s comin off a season with an .083 batting average. The Twins would be stark raving crazy to bring him back. Low batting averages are what made the Twins offense so inconsistent and ineffective last year.