Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Grade the Joey Gallo signing

cHawk

Grade the Joey Gallo signing  

108 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give Falvey and Levine for the Joey Gallo signing?

1 hour ago, USAFChief said:

Wut?

39 minutes ago, ashbury said:

Best to stay out of this hipster discussion among us younger folks.

If Chief’s replying with non-words like “Wut?” It’s too late for him, he’s gone full hipster whether he comprehends the conversation or not.

5 hours ago, Craig Arko said:

I wonder if this move says something about Kiriloff’s recovery time/prognosis.

I wondered about this as well as Kirilloff is pretty important to the Twins plans.

Additionally, when the Twins did not have Max Kepler anywhere among the players advertising the new uniforms, I wondered if he had told the Twins that he wished to move to another team. As I have said on a few occasions, I know nothing definitive but Max has clearly not been a very happy camper the last two years. The Twins won't get much in return for Kepler. Too bad.

Maybe if we knew that Kepler, Larnach, and Kirilloff were all gone for 2023, then the Gallo deal moves to a D. 

5 hours ago, tarheeltwinsfan said:

Gallo has 20 consecutive steals. Now I understand this signing by the Twins. Gallo will bat lead-off and the 2 at bats  out of 10 when he gets on 1B, he will steal 2B. The Piranhas are back.

That's your post after I mentioned 2 40 homer seasons and a 38 homer season? And that Gallo had 111 walks in 2021, which is an extremely rare and high number of walks for any player. You pick on the 20 consecutive steals mention (he’s fast) when he’s won 2 gold gloves and been an all star twice. You ignore all that and make a smarmy comment about his steals. Oh, yeah, he has an absolute cannon for an arm.

I can almost see it working if the Twins decide to play Gallo in left, Kepler in right, and the shift pays off. Buxton in centerfield. Garlick and Gordon are your extra outfielders.

You can still add an extra infielder and a bench bat, assuming Farmer is your immediate shortstop.

I would start with Larnach, Celestino, Wallner as regulars in the outfield in St. Paul, and Kirilloff as the regualr first baseman. Martin/Lewis would be the Saints starters at shortstop. Julien at second. Helman as the backup all around infielder. Heck, I would go so far as to, say, resign Sandy Leon as backup catcher and have Jeffers start every game possible at St. Paul. Give a bunch of guys who faced COVID baseball and were pushed a bit of time to settle and get better...in St. Paul.

You can decide on moving Kepler or Gallo as the season progresses and depends on how Lewis and Martin do.

Yes, I am not overjoyed with having a BIG strikout inning rally killer in the lineup. Do you bat him 6th/7th and hope for three at bats in a game (and the 4th a walk). I would almost wsh the Twins had kept Sano.

My main complaint, why did it cost $11m. Martinez signed for only $10 with the Dodgers, albeit older. Seems to much to pay for a guy removed from 41 homers, and an above Mendoza-batting line.

1 minute ago, Rosterman said:

I can almost see it working if the Twins decide to play Gallo in left, Kepler in right, and the shift pays off. Buxton in centerfield. Garlick and Gordon are your extra outfielders.

You can still add an extra infielder and a bench bat, assuming Farmer is your immediate shortstop.

I would start with Larnach, Celestino, Wallner as regulars in the outfield in St. Paul, and Kirilloff as the regualr first baseman. Martin/Lewis would be the Saints starters at shortstop. Julien at second. Helman as the backup all around infielder. Heck, I would go so far as to, say, resign Sandy Leon as backup catcher and have Jeffers start every game possible at St. Paul. Give a bunch of guys who faced COVID baseball and were pushed a bit of time to settle and get better...in St. Paul.

You can decide on moving Kepler or Gallo as the season progresses and depends on how Lewis and Martin do.

Yes, I am not overjoyed with having a BIG strikout inning rally killer in the lineup. Do you bat him 6th/7th and hope for three at bats in a game (and the 4th a walk). I would almost wsh the Twins had kept Sano.

My main complaint, why did it cost $11m. Martinez signed for only $10 with the Dodgers, albeit older. Seems to much to pay for a guy removed from 41 homers, and an above Mendoza-batting line.

Larnach in AAA? Wait until he's thirty to use him?

Why waste Martin at short? Get him to the position he'll play in the majors, which isn't short with Lewis and Lee here. 

8 minutes ago, Mike Sixel said:

Larnach in AAA? Wait until he's thirty to use him?

Why waste Martin at short? Get him to the position he'll play in the majors, which isn't short with Lewis and Lee here. 

Someone has to play short to start the season at AAA. Lee should start at Wichita.

Oh, I agree that the Twins should probably play Larnach and Kirilloff in the majors. Unfortunately, both are blocked by Gallo and Kepler right now, with Wallner and Celestino still on the prospect chart. Both Alex and Trevor were pushed into play in the majors. Can they use mroe...seasoning? Would it be betetr or worse for their progression? Would the Twins welcome slowing their arbitration/free agency (probably).

The Twins have too many redundant players, many without a position but COULD play a position, and prospects galoooooore! A logjam not only in the outfield but soon in the infield. Good thing!

5 minutes ago, Rosterman said:

Someone has to play short to start the season at AAA. Lee should start at Wichita.

Oh, I agree that the Twins should probably play Larnach and Kirilloff in the majors. Unfortunately, both are blocked by Gallo and Kepler right now, with Wallner and Celestino still on the prospect chart. Both Alex and Trevor were pushed into play in the majors. Can they use mroe...seasoning? Would it be betetr or worse for their progression? Would the Twins welcome slowing their arbitration/free agency (probably).

The Twins have too many redundant players, many without a position but COULD play a position, and prospects galoooooore! A logjam not only in the outfield but soon in the infield. Good thing!

They aren't setting martin up for success by playing him out of position. He's a top prospect..... Get a random guy at short. 

15 hours ago, Rosterman said:

I would start with Larnach, Celestino, Wallner as regulars in the outfield in St. Paul, and Kirilloff as the regular first baseman. Martin/Lewis would be the Saints starters at shortstop. Julien at second. Helman as the backup all around infielder. Have Jeffers start every game possible at St. Paul. 

That team I'd buy tickets to see. Especially since the tickets are cheaper.

This deal improves our defense, base stealing and athleticism. These are all things that need to improve. Gallo has always hit in Target Field. I don't expect miracles offensively but he could be flipped at trade deadline or one of the younger outfielders included in a trade. Hard to judge a deal if it is laying the groundwork for another deal. We can still add a right handed bat but an outfield of Buxton, Gallo and Kepler on most days looks and sounds good to me.

On 12/17/2022 at 6:58 PM, Greglw3 said:

That's your post after I mentioned 2 40 homer seasons and a 38 homer season? And that Gallo had 111 walks in 2021, which is an extremely rare and high number of walks for any player. You pick on the 20 consecutive steals mention (he’s fast) when he’s won 2 gold gloves and been an all star twice. You ignore all that and make a smarmy comment about his steals. Oh, yeah, he has an absolute cannon for an arm.

Oh... you forgot the most important part... He took Greg Maddux's daughter to prom.  On the same day that he pitched a no-hitter, no less.  Ha!