Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Hanging by a thread

Number3

1 hour ago, Number3 said:

20 games left, 4 games back, next 5 games against the first place team. Its still there for the taking but all of the mulligans have been used up. No more house money left. They have to go out and take it. Absolute minimum is win 3 of the 5. The playoffs are now on for the Twins.

Your last sentence is the most critical.  Time to hold nothing back.  

A strong finishing kick will change my mind.  Five games on the road against a team ahead of them is a steep challenge, but that's the situation the team has bought for itself.  Go for it, Twins.  Vindicate Rocco's nurturing and usually unflappable style (as far as we outsiders can know), and the front office's off-season roster decisions, by taking 4 of 5  this series and going on to eke out a division crown.

2 hours ago, Muppet said:

This Twins team is not good. That's OK. I believe in luck. 

There is  no such thing as luck, one makes one's own fortune and if the Twins do well, luck has squat to do with it.

Good topic and I’m looking forward to these five games.  We’ve been so close against the Tribe (cough-  Guardians) all year- there’s gotta be a chance we get 4 or 5 from them.

Really hoping they pull out all the stops.  What are Buxton and Polanco’s statuses?

36 minutes ago, MplsFan said:

Good topic and I’m looking forward to these five games.  We’ve been so close against the Tribe (cough-  Guardians) all year- there’s gotta be a chance we get 4 or 5 from them.

Really hoping they pull out all the stops.  What are Buxton and Polanco’s statuses?

Polanco is expected to return any day now. 
Buxton is supposedly right behind him.

Both could be back against the Guardians from the last news I saw.

Conversely I wouldn't be shocked if neither of them played this weekend...especially Buxton, who if back will be playing hurt, you can take that one to your favorite bank.

This weekend is definitely the season for the Twins. And it would be nice if they won the first game to maintain some excitement. If they lose, then they must win all the rest and the whole 'mood' will be different. Gotta take 4. win 3 will prolong the agony a few more days. Win 2 and begin thinking next season.

32 minutes ago, bean5302 said:

???? I haven’t seen that Buxton has done any baseball activities, no batting practice and no base running. I can’t imagine he’ll play this weekend. Polanco may be activated as soon as today  

7 minutes ago, stringer bell said:

???? I haven’t seen that Buxton has done any baseball activities, no batting practice and no base running. I can’t imagine he’ll play this weekend. Polanco May be activated as soon as today  

I didn't say anything about "this weekend" We have 5 games in a row against the Guardians. Buxton will not be back this weekend. Quite frankly, if the Twins lose 3 or 4 games in a row, I think the Twins will shut down a bunch of guys for the year instead of trying to rush them back.

20 minutes ago, bean5302 said:

Won't they need a planned day of rest upon their return? You know, save them for the play-offs?

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

Bah. Good luck for one team is often bad luck for the other. Without luck this would have been the last game in the 1986 world series. 

Ok so totally derailing the actual conversation going on.

Yeah sure Buckner missed the ball to send it to the 11th.  But the wild pitch by Stanley is just about as egregious of a play that plated a runner to tie the game. I had no idea that happened until I just watched this clip.

14 minutes ago, bean5302 said:

I didn't say anything about "this weekend" We have 5 games in a row against the Guardians. Buxton will not be back this weekend. Quite frankly, if the Twins lose 3 or 4 games in a row, I think the Twins will shut down a bunch of guys for the year instead of trying to rush them back.

Are we splitting hairs here? “This weekend” would encompass Friday thru Sunday. In your quote above, you say “Buxton will not be back this weekend”. In your previous post you said “Both could be back against the Guardians from the last news I saw” (referring to Polanco and Buxton). From those two statements, I guess the window is that Buxton could be playing on Monday. Is that what you are saying?

34 minutes ago, stringer bell said:

Are we splitting hairs here? “This weekend” would encompass Friday thru Sunday. In your quote above, you say “Buxton will not be back this weekend”. In your previous post you said “Both could be back against the Guardians from the last news I saw” (referring to Polanco and Buxton). From those two statements, I guess the window is that Buxton could be playing on Monday. Is that what you are saying?

I said Polanco could be back "any day now" and Buxton is right behind him. The Guardians series was 5 games and runs through Monday, but I simply counted the games forgetting about the double header. I thought it ran longer.

In any case, Buxton won't be back for Cleveland. He won't be traveling with the team.

It ain't Ober...till it's Ober. Or until the generously proportioned, or rubenesque if you prefer (PC) lady sings. Unfortunately, I think I hear her getting her vocal chords ready right now. Do we have a chance? Yes, there's a chance. A good one? No. There's not much time left, and comebacks sure have happened before, but realistically...I'd be shocked if we somehow pull it off. I think for us to have any shot, we have to at least win 4 of the 5 games in Cleveland. That's a TALL order. It's do you believe in miracles time. If we go in there and stink the place up, then go ahead and stick a fork in this season. Anybody got a magic lamp laying around?

On 9/16/2022 at 3:11 PM, CRF said:

It ain't Ober...till it's Ober. Or until the generously proportioned, or rubenesque if you prefer (PC) lady sings. Unfortunately, I think I hear her getting her vocal chords ready right now. Do we have a chance? Yes, there's a chance. A good one? No. There's not much time left, and comebacks sure have happened before, but realistically...I'd be shocked if we somehow pull it off. I think for us to have any shot, we have to at least win 4 of the 5 games in Cleveland. That's a TALL order. It's do you believe in miracles time. If we go in there and stink the place up, then go ahead and stick a fork in this season. Anybody got a magic lamp laying around?

It ain't Ober until you've hit your agreed upon pitch count prior to the game. I get it's important to stick to a schedule on guys who are rehabbing, but when you only give up 1 hit through 5 innings there really is no deviating from the plan to allow for 1 more inning? The inability to be flexible this year has lost the Twins many games...

Today is win or done. 5 games back with the remaining schedule is at least mathematically feasible. 7 games back its still possible but for all practical purposes, forget 2022 if they lose today. It is a shame that the lineups they are running out there are almost unrecognizable from what they could have been. Ironically, erratic and to a degree mismanaged as it has been, pitching is what has kept them at least in the hunt.

The thread just snapped. See you in Ft. Myers as the record resets to 0-0. Twins have manged to go from first to worst in the same season. They may be the worst team in MLB playing today. Time to completely start from scratch. Sano is gone, Buxton will never play a season and a $35mil/year SS is what they don't need. I would rather see a team like the Pirates who made no bones about starting from scratch than a team like the Twins who pretends to contend every year. 2019 was an outlier and what did the geniuses do that run the team? Completely destroy the roster.