Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Game Thread: Giants @ Twins 6:15 PM 8/27/2022

stringer bell
Message added by Squirrel,

Game thread starters needed for September! Please contact stringer bell today … and tell him Squirrel sent you! 🙂

The Twins face San Francisco in game two of a three game series this evening at Target Field. The Twins won last night, breaking a six-game losing streak, 9-0 with good pitching defense and productive hitting. We haven't seen much of the Twins' "A" game recently, so it was refreshing to see them win comfortably.

Tonight, Sonny Gray will start for the Twins. His numbers look good, but he's only 95+ innings so far this season, in part due to two trips to the Injured List and in part due to only averaging five innings per start. The Giants counter with veteran Alex Cobb, who has good strikeout numbers, a losing record and averages 5 and one third innings per start. 

Pennant race: After losing six in a row, the Twins won last night and gained a game on both Cleveland and Chicago. They trail the Guardians by three games and lead the White Sox by one game. There doubtless is enough time for the Twins to regroup, win a majority of games against their closest rivals and make the postseason. ESPN gives the Twins a 25% chance of making the postseason, while BBRef gives them only a 17% chance. Both give them the seventh best odds of making postseason and only six per league make it. Given the injuries that have accrued plus their less than inspired play for the better part of three months, I think the odds are inflated, but that is what makes sports fun. 

Hall of Fame: With the induction of Jim Kaat and Tony Oliva, every possible Hall of Fame player who played the majority of his career with the Twins is now in the Hall of Fame. Tony, Kitty and Bert Blyleven weren't all-time greats, but they were very good players who  their reward. The 1970 Twins had Carew, Killebrew, Oliva, Blyleven (rookie season) and Kaat on their team. We've seen a lot of talent come and go for the Twins. I'm glad they are well-represented at Cooperstown.

Are there any future Hall of Famers on the Twins' roster? I don't think so, but there is talent. I'd love to see everything come together for two months, but I do think that is wishful thinking. 

Weather: Showers and thunderstorms are forecast during the evening. I'm sure there will be windows when it isn't raining and the game likely will be played in its entirety, but with the new schedule for 2023 having all teams play each other and with so many teams having only one visit, there could be scheduling nightmares next year. 

Game Thread Introductions: Do you think you would like to set the tone for a game thread? Would you like to impress your Twins Daily brethren with your humor and writing skills? There are still opportunities available. A schedule for September/October has been posted on Game Thread Introductions-2022 thread in this (Twins Talk) forum. There are vacancies to be filled. Sign up now by messaging yours truly (stringer bell) or responding in the Game Thread Introductions thread. 

Lineups: 

Giants

HITTERS H-AB RBI HR SB AVG
T. La StellaDH 41-161 13 2 0 .255
L. Wade Jr.1B 22-126 22 8 0 .175
W. Flores3B 100-402 59 16 0 .249
M. YastrzemskiRF 77-364 44 12 5 .212
T. Estrada2B 95-372 49 11 16 .255
B. CrawfordSS 66-303 40 7 1 .218
A. SlaterCF 62-233 28 5 11 .266
L. GonzalezLF 66-254 32 4 10 .260
J. BartC 45-199 21 10 2 .226

Twins

HITTERS H-AB RBI HR SB AVG
L. Arraez1B 135-419 41 7 4 .322
C. CorreaSS 101-378 42 15 0 .267
J. Polanco2B 88-372 56 16 3 .237
J. MirandaDH 84-304 55 13 1 .276
N. GordonLF 75-277 24 5 6 .271
G. Urshela3B 97-364 49 11 0 .266
M. KeplerRF 79-351 42 9 3 .225
G. CelestinoCF 53-205 16 2 0 .259
S. LeonC 7-46 4 0 0 .152

PLAYER W-L ERA WHIP IP H K BB HR
A. Cobb 4-6 3.99 1.30 106.0 107 108 31 8
S. Gray 7-4 3.10 1.12 95.2 79 95 28 9

7 hours ago, stringer bell said:

Are there any future Hall of Famers on the Twins' roster? I don't think so, but there is talent. 

We have debated Mr. Mauer extensively, but I think he eventually gets in. He's not on the current roster, of course.

Correa has a chance, but not the way he is playing this year and he would not go in as a Twin.

It's waaaaay too early to predict, but if Lewis or one of the other top prospects achieves his 99th percentile outcomes, then it's possible.

1 minute ago, Azviking101 said:

Garlick came off the IL hot and has an .803 ops against righties. I understand Kepler’s defensive value but he’s done nothing with the bat for months now. Absolutely no reason Celestino and Kepler in the lineup over Garlick. None. 

Celestino is swinging a pretty decent bat lately, and they might be taking it easy with Garlick coming back from injury. That said  Kepler has been very underwhelming to say the least. Even in the field it seems like he gives up pretty quickly on fly balls

16 minutes ago, AussieG said:

Celestino is swinging a pretty decent bat lately, and they might be taking it easy with Garlick coming back from injury. That said  Kepler has been very underwhelming to say the least. Even in the field it seems like he gives up pretty quickly on fly balls

.211/.268/.395 over last 15 is not decent in my book. Last 7 numbers are even worse. Outside of that double that cleared the bases he’s done nothing. Team can’t score runs right now and Rocco is not trying to write up a lineup with his best hitters. Just my take. Bats are more important than defense right now. 

8 hours ago, stringer bell said:

Tony, Kitty and Bert Blyleven weren't all-time greats, but they were very good players who  their reward.

When Blyleven retired he was third in career strikeouts. ****ing third!!! And he's still fifth. If that's not all-time great I don't know what is. It's shameful to HOF voters that he wasn't a first-ballot inductee.

2 minutes ago, Azviking101 said:

.211/.268/.395 over last 15 is not decent in my book. Last 7 numbers are even worse. Outside of that double that cleared the bases he’s done nothing. Team can’t score runs right now and Rocco is not trying to write up a lineup with his best hitters. Just my take. Bats are more important than defense right now. 

Easily should be bats over D 

2 minutes ago, Azviking101 said:

Yes ok, "decent" might have been a stretch. Capable and looking comfortable might be more appropriate 

5 minutes ago, Nine of twelve said:

When Blyleven retired he was third in career strikeouts. ****ing third!!! And he's still fifth. If that's not all-time great I don't know what is. It's shameful to HOF voters that he wasn't a first-ballot inductee.

60 shutouts too, which is 9th all time

3 minutes ago, MMMordabito said:

I might be hearing things, but it sounded like after the first curveball to Wade, Jr. that got by Leon, Sandy was picked up saying "Oh, there you go. ****in' Gold Glover." Did anyone else hear that?

Sure did!!!

15 minutes ago, MMMordabito said:

I might be hearing things, but it sounded like after the first curveball to Wade, Jr. that got by Leon, Sandy was picked up saying "Oh, there you go. ****in' Gold Glover." Did anyone else hear that?

Maybe it was the plate ump. He seems to be miked. :)

24 minutes ago, Nine of twelve said:

Bert played on some gawd-awful teams too. He was a great pitcher who should have gotten into the HOF much sooner than he did. 

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Twins community on the internet.