Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Ranking the Twins' Toughest Remaining Opponents

Twins Daily Contributor

Minnesota's remaining schedule doesn't get easier after facing Kansas City and Texas over the last week. Here are the Twins' toughest remaining opponents on the schedule. 

The Twins will have to start playing better if the team wants a chance to make the postseason. The Twins have struggled to gain second-half momentum even after the club's trade deadline acquisitions. Can Minnesota start making a move with these opponents facing them in the weeks ahead?

5. Boston Red Sox
Dates: August 29-31 (in Minnesota)

Boston has scuffled this season after reaching the ALCS last season. The AL East has some surprise contending teams, which pushed Boston to the bottom of the division. Even with an under .500 record, the Red Sox were expected to be a better team than their record indicates. Boston has three players with a WAR above 3.0 this season, including Rafael Devers, Xander Bogaerts, and Michael Wacha. So far this season, the Twins have gone 2-2 against the Red Sox, so this three-game set will decide who wins the season series. 

4. Chicago White Sox
Dates: September 2-4 (in Chicago), September 27-29 (in Minnesota), October 3-5 (in Chicago)

Minnesota's playoff future will likely be decided by the team's games against Chicago. MLB's delayed start to the season means the Twins face the White Sox nine times in the final month, including six of the team's final nine games. Chicago was a mess in the season's first half, but they have slowly gained momentum to move above .500. The White Sox have outscored the Twins by four runs this season but have lost six out of ten games. 

3. Cleveland Guardians
Dates: September 9-11 (in Minnesota), September 16-19 (in Cleveland)

Cleveland has been Minnesota's closest competitor at the top of the division for most of the season. If the Twins want to win the AL Central, the team will have to track down the Guardians over the next few weeks. Winning division games is one of the easiest ways to make up ground in the standings. The Twins have outscored the Guardians by 16 runs this season but have lost 6-of-11 games. 

2. New York Yankees
Dates: September 5-8 (in New York)

The Yankees have been on a freefall in the second half as the team has a 5-14 record in August. New York had built such a significant division lead that they still sit atop the AL East by eight games. Clearly, the Yankees will want to play better heading into October, and a four-game home series with the Twins might be the cure to what ails them. Yankee Stadium has been a house of horrors for the Twins through multiple regimes and player changes. Minnesota won one of three games against New York at Target Field earlier this season.

1. Houston Astros
Dates: August 23-25 (in Houston)

Houston has been one of baseball's top squads during the 2022 season as the team is on pace to be the American League's top seed. The Astros came to Minnesota earlier this season and demolished the Twins in a three-game sweep where Houston outscored Minnesota 21-3. Now the Twins will head to Houston as a slumping team with Tyler Mahle on the injured list. It may be challenging for Minnesota to avoid a series sweep, especially with Houston's probable pitchers (Justin Verlander, Framber Valdez, and Luis Garcia).

Which opponent is going to be the biggest challenge? Which series is the most critical? Leave a COMMENT and start the discussion.

View full article

I just went to the combined standings and we are 15th - which matches our 500 play.  We are just ahead of the White Sox, Giants and Red Sox and we play two of those teams in this articles rankings.  Can we stay ahead of them? And stay out of the bottom half of the combined standings?

I agree with your rankings Cody & with Mikelink45, who states that our worse opponent is our selves. HOU I see as the which will give us the most trouble, NYY has been slumping but unless we turn things a round, we might just get them out of it.

Looking at a three game sweep when Twins go to Houston,  Then the same when we go to NYC.  That's 6 games; if Chicago and Cleveland are at .500 through those games that puts us 5 games back going head-to-head (.500 against Boston -even with competition).   To much to make up at that point and I don't see this team capable of a winning streak.

48 minutes ago, Doctor Gast said:

I agree with your rankings Cody & with Mikelink45, who states that our worse opponent is our selves. HOU I see as the which will give us the most trouble, NYY has been slumping but unless we turn things a round, we might just get them out of it.

They have a history of that

Right now I don't fear Chicago as much as I do Cleveland, but Cleveland has 12 straight games, starting tonight, against over .500 contenders (San Diego, Seattle, and Baltimore) before they get to the 8 games against us.  They will do well to split those 12, and might not even do that.  So it will all boil down to the 8 games against Cleveland.  If Chicago suddenly decides to go on a tear, I will take my crow medium rare.  :)  

As for who is our biggest challenge, by far Houston.  Those first two pitchers would be challenging for anyone, although we might be able to get to Garcia.  

To be the best, you've got to beat the best. Unfortunately, the Twins are not a healthy enough ballclub to beat their best competitors. Starting today, they will probably get chewed up and spat out by most of the teams on this list. 

On the other hand, 2023 looks very promising...

1 hour ago, jimbo92107 said:

To be the best, you've got to beat the best. Unfortunately, the Twins are not a healthy enough ballclub to beat their best competitors. Starting today, they will probably get chewed up and spat out by most of the teams on this list. 

On the other hand, 2023 looks very promising...

Yeah, as I stated in another thread, they might not be in contention by Sept 8.  Too many injuries and under performance by others.

Rocco needs to get his team prepared sufficiently for each of these opponents, regardless of how talented each team might be. This team struggles to beat the ****ing Rangers. If we can't beat the Rangers, no win against any of the five teams you listed is guaranteed. I think the Twins can win 2 of 3 against Boston, 5-6 of 9 against Chicago, 4 against Cleveland, and maybe 2-3 of 7 combined against Houston and New York. I'd be surprised if it's much more than that, but I wouldn't be if it's less than that.