Twins Daily
  • Create Account

2022 Draft Class Update: Three Debut, Lee Promoted

The draft finished up almost three weeks ago. The signing deadline was last week. All the signed draft picks have reported. 

So where are they and how are they doing?

1st round pick Brooks Lee has played four games for the FCL Twins and despite starting slow has a .353/.353/.471 (.824) slash line thanks to an impressive game on Monday. Lee has played in the field exclusively at shortstop, starting three games there with his other appearance at DH. 

There had been rumblings that Lee wouldn't be playing in the Florida Complex League too much longer and those rumblings were confirmed by Darren Wolfson on Monday afternoon.

It will be interesting to see how he's integrated into the Kernels lineup. You obviously make way for Brooks Lee, but former bonus baby Wander Javier has made every single one of his starts at shortstop. Make no mistake that Lee is in a different stratosphere as a prospect, but it's possible that both find themselves on the left side of the infield. It's also possible that Lee gets a couple of days off a week as he adjusts to playing a game of baseball every day.

Comp Round B pick Tanner Schobel has also played four games for the FCL Twins. He's only 3-for-15 (.200/.250/.267) with a double and a walk and has struck out three times. He's also stolen a base. He has played twice at second base, once at shortstop, and once as a DH. Schobel is in line for more reps at shortstop after Lee's promotion. Once Schobel gets his feet underneath him, it wouldn't be surprising to see him move up a level.

The most recent draft pick to make his pro debut is 6th-round pick Jorel Ortega. Ortega has only played in two games, getting a start at both first base and third base. He hasn't started hitting yet, going hitless in his first four at-bats. He's struck out three times and drawn two walks.

Other draftees should be joining this trio soon and we'll keep you updated on how they're doing.

View full article

Nice to see them getting some of the drafted bats started. Would be nice if they would get the catchers going as Cardenes could stand to be moved up to high A as well.  Will be interesting to see if anyone starts out hot.  Most players struggle to adjust in their draft year but there are always a few that show well right out of the gate.

1 hour ago, Rosterman said:

Wander needs to jump to at least Wichita. He becomes a minor league free agent this season, so he can go elsewhere if he wishes.

Wander had a pretty good June and July OPSing in the 800's.  Off to a tough start in August but I agree they should move him to AA and see what he has.  They don't have much at short there anyway.  I think the eye is there he just needs to make more contact and I still think he has a chance to make it.  Not as an All Star but MLB player most likely utility.

1 hour ago, FlyingFinn said:

I am guessing the Twins will be very cautious with his coming off surgery. May not even see him in a game this year - me totally guessing.

Could be a possibility, although the hedging your bets side of me says that he will be on a monitored throwing program at a minimum with some possible game action in Fall Instructs.  I can't fully get behind that they wouldn't have him throw at all, even with kid gloves. 

We shall see I guess.  Will be cool to follow either way.

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Wander had a pretty good June and July OPSing in the 800's.  Off to a tough start in August but I agree they should move him to AA and see what he has.  They don't have much at short there anyway.  I think the eye is there he just needs to make more contact and I still think he has a chance to make it.  Not as an All Star but MLB player most likely utility.

When reading the article, I also was like...I don't remember any top SS prospect at AA.  Wander going to AA would make sense to make room for Lee.  Agree with you and Rosterman.

Great news about Lee, though it shouldn't be too surprising since he and Noah Miller probably both need SS reps and Miller isn't going anywhere just yet.

But it does bring up a bit of a quandary. Where ARE all of the college shortstops they just drafted going to play? They'll be sharing a bunch of reps or learning new positions right away it would seem.

1 hour ago, nicksaviking said:

Great news about Lee, though it shouldn't be too surprising since he and Noah Miller probably both need SS reps and Miller isn't going anywhere just yet.

But it does bring up a bit of a quandary. Where ARE all of the college shortstops they just drafted going to play? They'll be sharing a bunch of reps or learning new positions right away it would seem.

That is a really good question.  I think they saw Schobel as a utility guy so not sure that is a huge issue for him\them but I thought Ross and Schuffield were "true Shortstops"  The High schoolers they took down the line I assume can play in the FCL for a while until ready.  Still that leaves two more shortstops they will need to find room for at some point.  Gotta believe Miller will some extra rest at the end of the year here.

1 hour ago, MN_ExPat said:

Could be a possibility, although the hedging your bets side of me says that he will be on a monitored throwing program at a minimum with some possible game action in Fall Instructs.  I can't fully get behind that they wouldn't have him throw at all, even with kid gloves. 

We shall see I guess.  Will be cool to follow either way.

Reminds me somewhat of when Canterino was picked. He wasn't coming off surgery, but there was a usage question. There were rumors he might not throw until instructs. Instead, he started 7 games at rookie ball and low A, but he only threw 25 innings in those starts. As I understand it, Priellip is now about 14 months post surgery and has already thrown some "bullpens" as an audition before the draft. So I could see him just work on the side until instructs. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him throw a dozen or so innings just to shake off rust and get introduced to pro ball.

1 hour ago, nicksaviking said:

Don't forget, with little exception, most young infielders move around to 2 or 3 spots in order to get everyone on the field and at least introduce and watch them at other positions. And some of the college SS, if not all, have already played different spots at some point in their college careers.