Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Game Thread: Twins @ Brewers, 7/27/22, 1:10PM CDT (11:10AM PDT)

PDX Twin

Good morning/afternoon, Twins fans! Today the Womb-mates of Minneapolis finish their annual home/away series against the Makers of Beer in Milwaukee.

Nothing fancy from me today. Just a little stream of consciousness. (Warning: My consciousness sometimes goes to strange places.)

My family has just “enjoyed” three weeks of passing around the omicron virus, and this week is my turn. (I'm still testing positive, so cautious Game Thread readers may want to mask-up.) Good side: We have gotten an extra 10 days with our delightful 2-year-old granddaughter, waiting for 10-day quarantines to expire allowing them to fly home to Massachusetts. Bad side: Feeling yucky for several days, though I fully realize that I'm fortunate that it is just yucky and not life-threatening. It seems that the munchkin was patient-zero in our house; five kids from her day-care class have tested positive.

"Munchkin" is a funny word. It seems unlikely that there are a lot of cute, little people who literally like to chew on their relatives, so where does it come from? The all-knowing Google suggests that it comes from a Dutch word for “little cap.” I’ve never thought of our favorite Dutchman Mr. Blyleven as a munchkin. (It might fit the compact and lovable Mr. Arraez, though.)

Omicron is also an interesting letter/word. It is probably the only Greek letter that I’ve never used in an economic model. (It looks too much like zero.) There are two Greek letters for “O,” omicron and omega. Why? Any linguists or Greek speakers in the group who can enlighten me? Apparently, omicron is o-micron, or “Little-O,” which means presumably that omega is “Mega-O.” Personally, Little-O was plenty for me; I may never leave the house if a Mega-O variant starts circulating.

Today’s matchup features the Twins’ Chris Archer (2-4, 3.41) against Brewers’ ace Corbin Burnes (7-4, 2.20). We’ll hope that Chris will be on target and that the Twins’ bats can burn Corbin. Here are the posted lineups. Buxton returns to play a day game after a night game, but Sanó does not. And I'm OK with that!

Twins:

Arraez, 1b
Correa, ss
Buxton, dh
Polanco, 2b
Miranda, 3b
Kirilloff, rf
Garlick, lf
Gordon, cf
Sanchez, c

Brewers:

Yelich, lf
Adames, ss
Tellez, 1b
McCutchen, dh
Renfroe, rf
Wong, 2b
Urias, 3b
Caratini, c
Taylor, cf

Go, Twins!

Garlick rewarded with another start in LF. 4 games since All-Star break and Buxton (even after PRP), making only his 2nd start, is DHing again. After a big game last night, Urshela gets the day off. And the BP, after throwing a lot of bullets last night, will be called upon early again today. These are good times...  

That fact that we have reward Garlick in LF is troubling but not as troubling as playing Sanchez once again who is hitting .140 in the month of July.  He puffed his chest out post trade saying he was the guy the Twins needed at catcher, yikes, more mouth than substance.  Career .220'ish hitter only because he had one year hitting almost .270 as a full time starter.  

What does that say about Caleb Hamilton who hasn't sniffed the field since his call up? Trade deadline, sure would be nice to get a MLB 2nd catcher vs a call up that never sees the field.  Jeffers getting hurt when hitting over .300 with broken thumb nonetheless, hurts more ways than one.

Sano, no future with Twins, so on the bench is not an issue, but sure would be nice to have him tease the other teams with a couple good games to be vital trade bait.  

Kepler out with broken toe, time to look at getting a Josh Bell type of guy for a fairly cheap type of trade.  Even Trey Mancini would be a nice fit, but he is face of O's so might take more to pry away.  Make that a package deal to get Bednar and see if O's bite.

Go Twins! 

Good I don’t have to listen to Bremer, the ultimate jinx. If he knew anything about baseball as he claims he does. He would know that ball players and fans can be superstitious. For him to just piss all over that is disrespectful and wrong. He is the jinx, even though he cries that he is not.

It's a nice day here in Illinois. Good weather, the recent rain has eased the drought. Nice to have baseball on the radio in the afternoon. Brings me back to the 1960s, playing in the yard listening to Harmon climb up the home run list.

Go Twins!

8 minutes ago, LVTwinsfan said:

Good I don’t have to listen to Bremer, the ultimate jinx. If he knew anything about the baseball as he claims he does. He would know that ball players and fans can be superstitious. For him to just piss all over that is disrespectful and wrong. He is the jinx, even though he cries that he is not.

Why are they spending the pregame talking to a guy in a Red Sox jersey about the Yankees' trade deadline in the build-up to a Twins-Brewers game?? This is why I hate national broadcasts. It's rarely about the teams playing and always about the big audience (NY).

20 minutes ago, big dog said:

It's a nice day here in Illinois. Good weather, the recent rain has eased the drought. Nice to have baseball on the radio in the afternoon. Brings me back to the 1960s, playing in the yard listening to Harmon climb up the home run list.

Go Twins!

Whats rain?

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Twins community on the internet.