Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Sano who?

mikelink45

Okay I have to ask this - what is happening with Sano?  Does anyone care?  Have we written him off?  

I prefer the players we have to the strikeout king, but he is under contract and on the IL.

We hear about other IL players and their progress, but no one writes about Sano - does anyone miss him?

Was his injury actually a blessing in disguise for the team?

Help me understand.

I've always liked Sano and have been able to keep the faith through his slumps in previous years, but it's hard to miss him when the offense is not only succeeding, but pretty deep without him. The Twins aren't exactly awaiting offensive reinforcements. I'm also worried that when he comes back he's going to start the early-season slump clock over from zero after being out of action for so long.

No I don't care and I don't miss him. Been calling for his dismissal for a couple years now. 

Yes his injury was a blessing in disguise and we can only hope it lasts until 2022 is over and he becomes a Free Agent if he isn't traded before then.

Much rather see Arraez, Miranda and hopefully soon, Kirilloff at 1st base.

I have such mixed feelings in regards to Miguel Sano

1 - His hitting was is under-valued by those who concentrated on the strikeouts.

2 - His fielding was is AWFUL

3 - He was accused of sexual assault in 2017 for an account that happened in 2015 and it got quickly forgotten, which still bothers me.

4 - There are better options on the roster including Luis Arraez who somehow became a passable first baseman in a couple of days.

I guess I have written him off, even though I've found myself defending his bat, at times

I miss the 10 game stretches where Sano would be one of the toughest outs at the plate on the roster, and the Twins offense would go from good to great. I miss moments like the build up to the grand slam he hit against Cleveland in 2019 to essentially clinch the division for the Twins. But I don't miss all of the waiting for him to get going to start the season, or get hot during a stretch where he makes contact with nothing for weeks at a time.

I will always root for Sano the baseball player, hope he has a long MLB career, and won't mind if that happens for someone else. He is what he is and he is not going to change: .225 avg, 225 strikeouts, 30+ homers

Miguel Sano underwent knee surgery for a torn meniscus in early May. Typical timeframe is 4-8 weeks, but he was added to the 60 day IL on May 14th. This means Sano won't be available for return until after the All Star Break. He should be healthy before then, but including the rehab assignment he'll need, he'll probably be ready immediately when the break concludes giving him a couple weeks to showcase himself before the trade deadline.

The Twins will undoubtedly be shopping the heck out of him, but he'll likely have negative trade value.

43 minutes ago, bean5302 said:

Miguel Sano underwent knee surgery for a torn meniscus in early May. Typical timeframe is 4-8 weeks, but he was added to the 60 day IL on May 14th. This means Sano won't be available for return until after the All Star Break. He should be healthy before then, but including the rehab assignment he'll need, he'll probably be ready immediately when the break concludes giving him a couple weeks to showcase himself before the trade deadline.

The Twins will undoubtedly be shopping the heck out of him, but he'll likely have negative trade value.

They might as well eat his salary because they are going to pay it one way or another.

Verified Member

I'm sure they'll be looking to move him, but whether or not anyone is interested...that's another matter. Maybe some team will be interested in a DH type for the balance of this season. I'd really rather not see him back with us, but it's a definite possibility that he is. I don't wish him any ill will, but it's way past time he played elsewhere.  

15 hours ago, Craig Arko said:

I always thought that the Pelotero documentary set the expectations bar too high too soon, and made it impossible for him to live up to the hype. A fresh start could be the best thing possible for everyone. 

Oddly enough, nobody seems to mention that documentary much. Believe it or not, I saw that in the theater at St. Anthony Main when it was released. Sano was just a kid, I think maybe around 15-16 at the time? It's a must-watch for anyone who is interested in what type of environment the players from the Dominican Republic come from. At the time of filming they mentioned that 20% of pro (not necessarily MLB) players in the US come from the DR. Simply incredible considering the circumstances.

Here's the trailer for anyone interested:

14 hours ago, bean5302 said:

Taking this back to the original post though, how IS his recovery/rehab going? Yes, once he's 'recovered' all those trade/where to play/what to do questions will come into play, but unlike seemingly every other injured player, who we get fairly regular updates as to how they are progressing, there's really been 'zip' in regards to 'he's doing the stationary bike and doing his PT' or 'he's working on getting his weight down', or even (yeah HIPAA, but still) what the surgery showed -- 'minor meniscus tear that they sewed down or trimmed, no other damage' type of reporting. For all the angst over him and his playing ability/potential/???, the lack of anything gives me the "they've already cut the cord" feeling, like he's already been exiled.

14 hours ago, bean5302 said:

Sano will clearly have negative trade value but there are a lot of expensive pitchers who also have negative trade value and would be more valuable to the Twins this year.

3 hours ago, Original_JB said:

Taking this back to the original post though, how IS his recovery/rehab going? Yes, once he's 'recovered' all those trade/where to play/what to do questions will come into play, but unlike seemingly every other injured player, who we get fairly regular updates as to how they are progressing, there's really been 'zip' in regards to 'he's doing the stationary bike and doing his PT' or 'he's working on getting his weight down', or even (yeah HIPAA, but still) what the surgery showed -- 'minor meniscus tear that they sewed down or trimmed, no other damage' type of reporting. For all the angst over him and his playing ability/potential/???, the lack of anything gives me the "they've already cut the cord" feeling, like he's already been exiled.

There's no news I know of. Here's what we do know. Under the absolute best case scenario, Sano would not be returning to any kind of significant rehab or athletic work until at least now. It's probably not the absolute best case scenario since the Twins waited until 9 days after the surgery to move Sano to the 60 day IL. Meaning, there shouldn't be any significant rehab to talk about yet.

I wonder if Miguel could rehab and then play in AAA? This way he could get his batting eye back, showcase his talent and be available for another team to trade for him without harming the major league team's ongoing quest for the AL Central title.  It would be doing Miguel a favor also because he could play 1B, 3B and DH at AAA and hopefully mash a lot of HR's so that another team which needs a DH or 1B can trade for him. Win, Win, Win. I just don't think the current Twins have an available roster spot for him in the majors. 

21 hours ago, DJL44 said:

I think he's behind Spencer Steer on the depth chart. Maybe they could get David Price from the Dodgers in return for Sano. That would save the Dodgers like $10M due to the luxury tax.

Why would we want David Price?  Would you want him as a starter or pen pitcher?  Either he would be a downgrade from what we have I think.  He has pitched 13.2 innings in 13 games giving up 7 runs.  He does have 17Ks and only 3 walks, which is good, but he has also given up 18 hits and 3 HR which is not good in such a small amount of innings. Also he has normally been used in low leverage situations and has a negative wins probability added.  I am sure Dodgers would love to trade away Price for anything to save his contract and luxury tax.  

1 hour ago, Trov said:

Why would we want David Price?  Would you want him as a starter or pen pitcher? 

They've been using Cole Sands a lot. I think Price could do as well. It's probably not as good of an idea as just releasing Sano and using the roster spot to grab another pitcher off waivers.