Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Will Buxton play at least 110 games in 2022?

Number3

I will start out by saying No. Injury prone is injury prone and he is getting older (believe it or not) not younger. I set the goal low on purpose and he still probably won't make it. No blame, just unfortunate state of affairs.

This kind of topic feels like bait to trigger people who simply don't like Buxton for whatever reason.  I also think TwinsDaily subscribers are less likely to jump all over this topic with unfounded criticisms than if this were on a Facebook page.

With that said however, while I don't have confidence he'll make 110 games - with the type of contract he signed, I think we're still getting GREAT value for our baseball dollars even if he only plays 90 games with the production he's been shown to provide.

I'm hopeful he does make the 110 threshold, and I read that he's always working and trying new things to lower his risk of injury - hopefully he can be someone like Molitor who became a legend in the game despite frequent early career injuries.

On 3/16/2022 at 9:09 AM, Brock Beauchamp said:

I think he will. So many of his injuries are just flat-out bad luck (the wrist last year) and he has finally stopped running into walls at 25mph. At some point, he's just going to have a "normal" season so why not this one?

Didn't he get his first injury from running to first base, the hip injury?  Maybe it started somewhere else, but from what I remember was he ran to first and was taken out of game, missed 6 weeks.  Then he had the wrist.  Although many of his injuries have been "bad luck" many have been from just general play.  Some have been from foul balls of foot, or hit by pitches, and some have been by running into walls or on dives, but not all.  

Don't get me wrong I like Buxton and hope he can play a full year, I just have no faith that he will, since he never has. 

5 minutes ago, Trov said:

Didn't he get his first injury from running to first base, the hip injury?  Maybe it started somewhere else, but from what I remember was he ran to first and was taken out of game, missed 6 weeks.  Then he had the wrist.  Although many of his injuries have been "bad luck" many have been from just general play.  Some have been from foul balls of foot, or hit by pitches, and some have been by running into walls or on dives, but not all.  

Don't get me wrong I like Buxton and hope he can play a full year, I just have no faith that he will, since he never has. 

He played 140 games once, which I consider a full season in today's game.

As for the injuries, don't get me wrong, he has also hurt himself running (last year) but so many of his injuries came from wild outfield play, which he has toned down a lot the past two years. And had he not had that fluke wrist injury that was completely out of his control, he probably would have played 120 games last season.

And at some point, those fluke injuries will not happen for one calendar year and he'll play over 110 games.

2 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

He played 140 games once, which I consider a full season in today's game.

As for the injuries, don't get me wrong, he has also hurt himself running (last year) but so many of his injuries came from wild outfield play, which he has toned down a lot the past two years. And had he not had that fluke wrist injury that was completely out of his control, he probably would have played 120 games last season.

And at some point, those fluke injuries will not happen for one calendar year and he'll play over 110 games.

I hope you knocked on wood so hard that you destroyed your desk.

That is the crux of it. The team needs him in the lineup not just for his personal stats but for how he affects the entire lineup. If he can be a mainstay, reliable day to day player in center field it makes Rocco's job much easier. Unfortunately, I recall in his first game back from the long layoff last year, he fell simply running out of the batters box to first base. Maybe he should just try to play at 90% instead of 100% and hope for the best. I know...hard to do especially if a ball is in reach.