Twins Daily
  • Create Account

2022 Vikings Off-Season Thread

Mike Sixel

30 minutes ago, Danchat said:

The price for Watson is fine in a vacuum - 3 1sts + a 3rd and 4th isn't that bad, but goodness gravy, what has Watson done to deserve a fully guaranteed $46M per year deal? That's more than Mahomes, who has accomplished waaaaay more than Watson has (and has only 25-30% of his 10 year deal guaranteed). Insanity.

Not to mention the fact that they're rewarding a guy for getting into trouble - Watson has only played one season (they went 4-12) between his $39M per year deal and his $46M deal. I hope the Browns pay dearly for this abject disaster of a move.

Makes me wonder if old friend Kevin Stefanski will be back looking for OC jobs in a year or 2. Now that the Browns are back acting like their old selves. 

12 hours ago, Vanimal46 said:

Makes me wonder if old friend Kevin Stefanski will be back looking for OC jobs in a year or 2. Now that the Browns are back acting like their old selves. 

Perhaps, but their offense is loaded with a Top 5-8 QB, fantastic run game, decent receivers (getting Cooper for a 5th is great value, compared to the FA overpays at WR), and a good OL only missing a center. Their defense should be OK at worst. In the short term, things look good for Stefanski, but the long term... well, the AFC is going to be hyper-competitive and they will be ca-strapped and have no 1sts.

On 3/19/2022 at 11:52 AM, a-wan said:

What's worse is the Browns manipulated Watson's salary for next year to be 1 million, so any suspension is taken out of that and not his 40ish million dollar signing bonus, or roster bonus.

Just plain wrong. Corrupt. We've seen this movie with creeps like Watson before, he's not done, he won't be able to help it. 

Re-signing Sean Mannion? Gross, why?

Another question: Why exactly was Rick Spielman let go? The organization is bending over backwards to put his entire roster back together. I was ready for a leadership change, but obviously if ownership (and Doogie says ownership required the new GM not to rebuild which is why Ryan Poles chose the Bears over the Vikings) thought the players on roster were good enough to contend, what was the logic in firing the GM?

22 minutes ago, nicksaviking said:

Re-signing Sean Mannion? Gross, why?

Another question: Why exactly was Rick Spielman let go? The organization is bending over backwards to put his entire roster back together. I was ready for a leadership change, but obviously if ownership (and Doogie says ownership required the new GM not to rebuild which is why Ryan Poles chose the Bears over the Vikings) thought the players on roster were good enough to contend, what was the logic in firing the GM?

If he’s the 3rd string/de facto QB coach it’s fine. If he’s still the primary backup over Mond we’ve got big problems…

16 minutes ago, Danchat said:

After the FA moves, here is where I have the Vikings depth chart at:

1770896066_VDC3-23-22.png.1935bc3f7fee5bfb4d6ba7a159c4bf36.png

We pretty much have to double dip in the draft at CB in the early rounds. There are still a couple of veteran CBs available that are past their primes, but not terrible… These are from PFF’s top 100 FA left. 

17. Steven Nelson CB
22. Bryce Callahan CB
29. Janoris Jenkins CB
30. Robert Alford CB
37. Patrick Peterson CB
45. Joe Haden CB
64. Chris Harris CB
65. Kyle Fuller CB

Nobody all that exciting. Given the choice, and if the money were equal, I’d go after Tyrann Mathieu instead. 

5 hours ago, Vanimal46 said:

We pretty much have to double dip in the draft at CB in the early rounds. There are still a couple of veteran CBs available that are past their primes, but not terrible… These are from PFF’s top 100 FA left. 

17. Steven Nelson CB
22. Bryce Callahan CB
29. Janoris Jenkins CB
30. Robert Alford CB
37. Patrick Peterson CB
45. Joe Haden CB
64. Chris Harris CB
65. Kyle Fuller CB

Nobody all that exciting. Given the choice, and if the money were equal, I’d go after Tyrann Mathieu instead. 

Bryce Callahan is pretty solid in the slot. Dantzler can start outside, and use the #1 pick on a corner. There are 3 really good ones, hopefully one of them falls that far.

40 minutes ago, howeda7 said:

Bryce Callahan is pretty solid in the slot. Dantzler can start outside, and use the #1 pick on a corner. There are 3 really good ones, hopefully one of them falls that far.

Callahan knows this defense well too.  I think they'll end up bringing in a CB.  

I'm excited about Bynum at FS.  But this team needs a lot of help on defense, good thing there are a lot of pass rushers and athletes in this draft class.  I honestly would be just fine spending every pick on defense this year.

Had some free time this afternoon and thought about how the draft could go before the Vikings pick at 12. @Danchatfeel free to mock the mock draft!

1.01 - Jaguars - Aiden Hutchinson EDGE - They focused heavily on offense in FA, and appear to be locked in on pass rush at #1. 

Other potential picks: Kayvon Thibodeaux, Evan Neal

1.02 - Lions - Kayvon Thibodeaux EDGE - A true mystery what they will do. Experts are all over the map. I think they continue on with the long term rebuild plan and build their pass rush. 

Other potential picks: Malik Willis, Travon Walker

1.03 - Texans - TRADE with Falcons - Malik Willis QB - The Texans roster is so bad and simply needs a ton of picks to improve their team. If they stay put, Kyle Hamilton, Travon Walker, and Sauce Gardner are in play. The Falcons jump ahead of the Panthers and take the QB with the most upside in the draft. 

1.04 - Jets - Evan Neal OT - Jets can’t pass up having 2 mountain human beings as their bookend tackles so Zach Wilson can grow. 

Other potential picks: Sauce Gardner, Travon Walker, Drake London 

1.05 - Giants - Charles Cross OT - Their OL is a mess and Cross gives them someone who can pass block for their upcoming QB of the future. 

Other potential picks: Kyle Hamilton, Ikem Ekwonu 

1.06 - Panthers - Kenny Pickett QB - There’s nothing more dangerous than a desperate HC and GM on the hot seat. They simply can’t head into next season with Sam Darnold as QB 1. Pickett has the high floor to start day 1 but I think Panthers fans will grow to hate the pick when Rhule is fired. I could also see them embracing heavy RPO with CMC and Corral. 

Other potential picks: Matt Corral, Ikem Ekwonu, Trade Down

1.07 - Giants - Sauce Gardner CB - I’ve seen lots of mock drafts with the Giants doubling down on OL. That could happen I suppose. I’m following the scent of recent rumors that they are willing to eat salary to trade James Bradbury. I think they have their eye on Sauce. 

Other potential picks: Ikem Ekwonu, Kyle Hamilton, Jordan Davis?

1.08 - Texans (trade from Falcons) - Kyle Hamilton S - The trade down couldn’t work out any better for the Texans, who is probably considering him at 3 overall. With so many needs, they go BPA with a guy who could be considered the best talent in the entire class. 

Other potential picks: Trade down again with a QB desperate team, Ikem Ekwonu, Travon Walker 

1.09 - Seachickens - Devin Lloyd LB - Seattle is nearly impossible to guess. On a yearly basis they make wild reaches for players in the 1st round. Their defense has been woefully bad for years. Perhaps they take Bobby Wagner’s replacement here but I truly don’t know. 

Other potential picks: George Karlaftis, someone who has a 3rd round grade at EDGE

1.10 - Jets - TRADE with Eagles - Jordan Davis NT - Philly takes advantage of their crazy draft capital to move up for Fletcher Cox’s replacement. If the Jets stay put, their HC comes from San Francisco who built a powerhouse front 7. They may elect to stay here to take Davis themselves. 

Other potential picks for Jets: Travon Walker, George Karlaftis, Devonte Wyatt
Other potential picks for Eagles: Devonte Wyatt, Drake London 

1.11 - Washington - Derek Stingley CB - Another pick where I really don’t know what direction they go. Do they take the first WR off the board to help Wentz? Their front 4 is stacked on defense so they don’t need help there. I’m not sure. 

Other potential picks: Drake London, Garrett Wilson, Sam Howell?

1.12 - Vikings - Top 2 CBs off the board and so is Jordan Davis. I purposely made it a bad scenario for our team so one of our usual suspects doesn’t fall into our lap. What do you think happens here?

I’m envisioning a scenario where KAM is calling Pittsburgh to see if they want to trade up for a QB like Desmond Ridder or Sam Howell. Maybe the Saints or Titans want in on that action too. 

Here are my potential picks if we stay at 12: Devonte Wyatt DT, Travon Walker EDGE (Hunter and Smith insurance), Jermaine Johnson EDGE, Trent McDuffie CB (Feels like a reach), Jameson Williams WR (highest upside WR) 

Thoughts?

That's a good mock for the top 12 picks, the only pick I don't see as realistic is Lloyd at #9. Sub in Travon Walker, whom teams are in love with and could go top 3, for Lloyd and there's a decent chance those are the 12 guys off the board.

I'm unsure about McDuffie ( getting the 3rd best CB in the draft at pick #12 isn't appealing to me), so I'd probably go WR with London or Williams. Give Jefferson a long-term running mate, and maybe a guy who can become the #1 option if we opt not to pay Jefferson $35M a year, or whatever ludicrous salary he'll be slated to earn in a couple years time.

46 minutes ago, Danchat said:

That's a good mock for the top 12 picks, the only pick I don't see as realistic is Lloyd at #9. Sub in Travon Walker, whom teams are in love with and could go top 3, for Lloyd and there's a decent chance those are the 12 guys off the board.

I'm unsure about McDuffie ( getting the 3rd best CB in the draft at pick #12 isn't appealing to me), so I'd probably go WR with London or Williams. Give Jefferson a long-term running mate, and maybe a guy who can become the #1 option if we opt not to pay Jefferson $35M a year, or whatever ludicrous salary he'll be slated to earn in a couple years time.

Yeah agreed with Seattle’s pick. Didn’t know what to do with them since historically they go off the deep end taking a 3rd round talent in the 1st round. I’m in agreement with you about McDuffie. Sounds like he profiles as a slot CB and that feels like a reach at 12. 

49 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

Yeah agreed with Seattle’s pick. Didn’t know what to do with them since historically they go off the deep end taking a 3rd round talent in the 1st round. I’m in agreement with you about McDuffie. Sounds like he profiles as a slot CB and that feels like a reach at 12. 

That’s a great point, I’ve hated their last few 1st rounders so maybe they do that again.  I can’t remember the last time I actually liked a 1st round pick of theirs.

30 minutes ago, Mike Sixel said:

CB, CB, CB. They have one starter there right now. One. 

edit" I've been out of touch, I guess they have two now? Neither of which are great?

The CB they signed from Green Bay looks like a decent slot CB and Dantzler is a fringe starter as an outside CB. If Gardner and Stingley are taken before 12 I think they have to trade down to take the next tier of CBs after that. 

4 hours ago, Vanimal46 said:

Trade down.  I love trading down this year.

My ideal scenario is we trade down with someone who wants a QB before the Eagles start picking.  Say, the Steelers at 20.  According to value charts we would be able to land 20 and 52 for 12.  I'd take Andrew Booth Jr. at 20 and invest 46 and 52 into another combo of corner/LB/DE.  

Mock drafts are all over the place this year but there should be a good chance we land a high end LB/DE with those picks.  We might be able to find a good slot corner like Kyle Gordon or Pitre.  Maybe an outside guy like Mcreary or Wooten are still there too.

As bad as our CB depth looks, I'm pretty much equally concerned about our linebackers.  This draft has a ton of freakishly athletic dudes who could really fit well in a hybrid front.  I want in on that because right now I don't love what we'd throw out there in our front seven.  

1 hour ago, Vanimal46 said:

These cap hits in 2023 and 2024 are gross. Not sure it’s worth the trade off saving $5 million in cap space this year. 

I hated that extension at the time.....now it is just an issue. That said, the cap is going up and up every year, and it won't hold them back, imo.