Twins Daily
  • Create Account

2022 Vikings Off-Season Thread

Mike Sixel

Eh, Hicks is 30 now and is average at best. Decent chance his best days are behind him.

I've gotten somewhat depressed watching the signings, seeing all the OL and CBs we've missed on. Can't believe JC Jackson got basically the same $$$ per year we gave Harrison Smith on his extension. Ugh. 

59 minutes ago, Danchat said:

Eh, Hicks is 30 now and is average at best. Decent chance his best days are behind him.

I've gotten somewhat depressed watching the signings, seeing all the OL and CBs we've missed on. Can't believe JC Jackson got basically the same $$$ per year we gave Harrison Smith on his extension. Ugh. 

I mean, we knew beforehand that Spielman put this team in very rough shape cap wise. Not much we can do immediately to resolve that. 

From what I’ve gathered about Donatell’s defense, and McVay’s defense too, is they don’t need well known, impact ILBs to be successful. He did well in Denver with mid round pick Josey Jewell, and undrafted talents like Alexander Johnson and Malik Reed. 

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens to clear cap space in the next couple of days. It would be great to clear enough room to sign JC Tretter at center… My top CB target Rasul Douglas is still available too. 

I like the Hicks signing. Not sure I love the idea of a 3-4 defense but let's give it a shot, I suppose. Agree with others that the Hunter decision will be huge on the direction of the team.

Sounds like Cleveland is going to move on from Mayfield to Watson. I'm really surprised that Watson has that much of a market considering his legal issues. 

55 minutes ago, gunnarthor said:

I like the Hicks signing. Not sure I love the idea of a 3-4 defense but let's give it a shot, I suppose. Agree with others that the Hunter decision will be huge on the direction of the team.

Sounds like Cleveland is going to move on from Mayfield to Watson. I'm really surprised that Watson has that much of a market considering his legal issues. 

C'mon.  Abusing women has long been ok.  Talking about rich white racists is where you get yourself in trouble.

1 hour ago, TheLeviathan said:

C'mon.  Abusing women has long been ok.  Talking about rich white racists is where you get yourself in trouble.

Also, don’t even think about making a bet on the NFL’s certified gambling partner’s app because you’ll be suspended a year. Or smoke weed otherwise you’re suspended 4 straight seasons. 

1 minute ago, Vanimal46 said:

Also, don’t even think about making a bet on the NFL’s certified gambling partner’s app because you’ll be suspended a year. Or smoke weed otherwise you’re suspended 4 straight seasons. 

That's a weird one....they app can ID who it is, and let the NFL know, but NOT stop him from betting?

9 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

The NFL's morality code is really something.  Get caught on camera wailing on a woman, get caught video taping cheerleaders, abuse your children, or conduct a pattern of harassment and nothing happens.  Deflate a football, smoke weed, or take a knee and you get the book thrown at you.

6 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

The weed suspensions are a thing of the past, IIRC.

The abuse and assault suspensions have never made any sense, and now we’re at an odd point where neither Gladney nor Watson were suspended in 2021… it’s almost as if it’s up to the teams’ sponsors to threaten to pull out (see AP’s suspension) to force a team to not play the guy. Don’t expect Cook to face any punishment from the NFL.

4 hours ago, Mike Sixel said:

They just signed a TE with less career receptions than Buxton played games last year.....(bad sentence, you get the point)....not sure why.

edit: he's a blocking TE,. which I have no idea what he does all game in a modern O.....

Mundt is likely coming on the veteran minimum, and would be fine as the team's 3rd TE. He's also recovering from an ACL tear in October and isn't a guarantee to play right away. We also signed a backup center (Austin Schlottmann) to the veteran minimum, but these are just depth moves for guys who might not even make the team.

It's better than blowing a 4th for a blocking TE! (Herndon trade)

51 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

Can’t say I’m a fan of this unless they get a 1st and more for him. 

Agree, I would have to get at least a 1st and 3rd or a 1st and a player just to start negotiations. Selling low on him would be a really bad idea, especially after we refused to sell high on Kirk. Hunter is absolutely capable of making us regret trading him.

Also, Tyler Conklin took a 3/$21M deal with the Jets. Seems fair for his production, but he'll have to fight for reps with CJ Uzomah, who signed a 3/$24M deal with the Jets yesterday.

Vikings restructure Theilen. 

The more I think about it, the more I want the Vikings to take another big-time receiver in the draft. Doesn't have to be our first pick but getting someone that can move Theilen to our 3rd receiver (unless we think Osborn is going to make a huge leap) and have another guy that can terrify secondaries. If we're going to keep Cousins, let's just try and have a massive air attack and outscore the opponent. Win a lot of 35-32 games. 

1 hour ago, Vanimal46 said:

We’re really banking on the idea of running it back with essentially the same team, and placing all blame on Zimmer’s coaching ability for the lack of success. 

The Packer's made that idea a lot easier with their dumping of Adams. 

With Watson staying in the AFC.....maybe rolling it back wasn't the worst move.  The NFC is weak as hell and if you truly think the coaching staff was holding the team back (and I do, but to what degree I'm not sure)...then this all makes some sense.

Offensively I think this team can be lethal, the problem is they are so bad in the front seven of their defense I am really worried about how competitive we can be there.  We're short two linebackers, a defensive end, and basically all not-Harrison Smith defensive backs.

The price for Watson is fine in a vacuum - 3 1sts + a 3rd and 4th isn't that bad, but goodness gravy, what has Watson done to deserve a fully guaranteed $46M per year deal? That's more than Mahomes, who has accomplished waaaaay more than Watson has (and has only 25-30% of his 10 year deal guaranteed). Insanity.

Not to mention the fact that they're rewarding a guy for getting into trouble - Watson has only played one season (they went 4-12) between his $39M per year deal and his $46M deal. I hope the Browns pay dearly for this abject disaster of a move.