Twins Daily
  • Create Account

2022 Vikings Off-Season Thread

Mike Sixel

Seems weird how slow the hiring is going this offseason.

Is it possible that it's slow because Minnesota is the preferred destination of many of the candidates and everyone's waiting out the Vikings?  That seem both pompous and preposterous. But with the solid roster (many of us want gutted anyway) they're clearly the team in the best position.

Also, yeah, the Vikings should at least put Leftwich and Bienemy on their dockets.

38 minutes ago, Danchat said:

Rams DC Raheem Morris is now on the interview list, so it looks like they’re still adding names. Count me surprised with how many DCs they’re interviewing.

I want a leader type head coach. One that knows how to lead and delegate. I don't care if that they come from the O or D side of the ball.....just someone that trusts the people they hire to do their jobs and puts them in a position to succeed.

2 hours ago, Mike Sixel said:

I want a leader type head coach. One that knows how to lead and delegate. I don't care if that they come from the O or D side of the ball.....just someone that trusts the people they hire to do their jobs and puts them in a position to succeed.

You and your silly expectations :)

17 hours ago, Mike Sixel said:

I don't really expect it, frankly. From where I sit, it looks like NFL HC are ego driven just a bit too much.....but hey, I've been wrong before, and will be again, so who knows!

Here's to hoping you're wrong :) 

At least the Wilfs are saying the right thing in this regard... I've commented elsewhere that I want a HC focused on being an HC and to hire the best coordinators out there. No problems with an offensive minded coach doing some planning with his/her OC, but I expect that coach to let the OC do their thing... same on defense if it's a defensive minded coordinator. 

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/danger-in-trading-star-players/?taid=61eafbf2e941150001c7051b&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

This trade was in the linked article:

Jets send

-10th overall pick
-35th overall pick
-Conditional 2023 third round pick (moves to a 2nd with 12+ sacks)

Vikings send

-Danielle Hunter
-2023 fifth round pick

Im a big fan of Hunter but if this is realistic it’s a no brainer for the Vikes to make this trade  

15 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/danger-in-trading-star-players/?taid=61eafbf2e941150001c7051b&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

This trade was in the linked article:

Jets send

-10th overall pick
-35th overall pick
-Conditional 2023 third round pick (moves to a 2nd with 12+ sacks)

Vikings send

-Danielle Hunter
-2023 fifth round pick

Im a big fan of Hunter but if this is realistic it’s a no brainer for the Vikes to make this trade  

You have to do that.....100 times out of 100

16 hours ago, Mike Sixel said:

Does anyone change their mind on trading Cousins if Rodgers leaves Green Bay? He'd be the best QB in the division by far 

Nope. I still want to proceed with the rebuild. It’s possible we end up like Philly and end up winning a bad division while rebuilding. Even better. 

On 1/23/2022 at 12:05 AM, Mike Sixel said:

Does anyone change their mind on trading Cousins if Rodgers leaves Green Bay? He'd be the best QB in the division by far 

It's kind of a moot point, Rodgers would never be traded within the division. The Packers bent over backwards to make sure Favre didn't leave GB to end up in Minnesota. I don't see that changing.

And to the other point, we're more than a QB away at this point. We need some more strategic restructuring and I don't think trading away more capital for a year or two of Rodgers will help. 

1 hour ago, diehardtwinsfan said:

It's kind of a moot point, Rodgers would never be traded within the division. The Packers bent over backwards to make sure Favre didn't leave GB to end up in Minnesota. I don't see that changing.

And to the other point, we're more than a QB away at this point. We need some more strategic restructuring and I don't think trading away more capital for a year or two of Rodgers will help. 

?

The question was.....if Rodgers is out of GB, are you more likely to keep Cousins?

I'm a bit concerned that the Vikings seem to have narrowed their HC search when they don't have a GM yet. It's not like the Wilfs to meddle, so this is all quite confusing to me. Did the GM candidates weigh in on the head coaches somehow? Any sensible GM candidate should tell the would-be employer that they will get his or her input on coaches once they are hired; no freebies. But if the Vikings really have narrowed their HC search, I don't see any other way this could work out. Did each of the two GM candidates specify who they'd like as coaches, and those are the two coaches the Vikings are reportedly interested in?

Because if the team is seriously only going to give the new GM two coaches to choose between, than this was already a disaster of a decision and the rebuild is off to a horrible start.

7 minutes ago, nicksaviking said:

I'm a bit concerned that the Vikings seem to have narrowed their HC search when they don't have a GM yet. It's not like the Wilfs to meddle, so this is all quite confusing to me. Did the GM candidates weigh in on the head coaches somehow? Any sensible GM candidate should tell the would-be employer that they will get his or her input on coaches once they are hired; no freebies. But if the Vikings really have narrowed their HC search, I don't see any other way this could work out. Did each of the two GM candidates specify who they'd like as coaches, and those are the two coaches the Vikings are reportedly interested in?

Because if the team is seriously only going to give the new GM two coaches to choose between, than this was already a disaster of a decision and the rebuild is off to a horrible start.

I haven't seen anything about the coaches being narrowed. where did you see that?

I lean towards parting ways with Cousins. Because what we saw yesterday is what championship caliber quarterback play looks like, and while Cousins ain’t bad, he ain’t close to those other guys either, including Stafford apparently. 

Unrelated, I ran across this old clip of Cousins experiencing a brain cramp and taking a knee right before halftime instead of spiking. How many times did we see stuff like this at the end of halfs in 2022.

image.gif.87a9405e3cb8571149815e29d0be7a53.gif

15 minutes ago, Mike Sixel said:

I haven't seen anything about the coaches being narrowed. where did you see that?

Sorry:

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-coaching-search-rumors-dan-quinn-demeco-ryans-caldwell-campbell

https://thevikingage.com/2022/01/23/leaders-minnesota-vikings-head-coach-search/

I don't know how Quinn is high on the Vikings list unless someone already within the organization thinks they get to call the shots.

"Hey, we are thinking about giving you the GM job. We also really like Dan Quinn as your coach. It's totally your call, and you can choose anyone you want, but he's high on our list. So, just hoping we are on the same page. No pressure!"

Why are they even having coaching interviews with no GM in the room? Is the new GM just supposed to watch some pre-recorded videos of these coaches? I know the Giants and Bears are doing it too, but those aren't exactly model franchises. 

18 minutes ago, nicksaviking said:

Sorry:

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-coaching-search-rumors-dan-quinn-demeco-ryans-caldwell-campbell

https://thevikingage.com/2022/01/23/leaders-minnesota-vikings-head-coach-search/

I don't know how Quinn is high on the Vikings list unless someone already within the organization thinks they get to call the shots.

"Hey, we are thinking about giving you the GM job. We also really like Dan Quinn as your coach. It's totally your call, and you can choose anyone you want, but he's high on our list. So, just hoping we are on the same page. No pressure!"

Why are they even having coaching interviews with no GM in the room? Is the new GM just supposed to watch some pre-recorded videos of these coaches? I know the Giants and Bears are doing it too, but those aren't exactly model franchises. 

That's how big companies work.....there are a lot of people involved in interviewing. The owners likely have some traits they want, and will eliminate any candidate without those. This is pretty common. I mean, no one becomes COO just because the CEO wants it (in a well run company), lots of people are involved, especially in a privately held company.

4 hours ago, nicksaviking said:

I wouldn’t view it as anything more than pre-work. The list can always grow if the GM says I want to interview (insert coach name here) as well. 

19 hours ago, Mike Sixel said:

?

The question was.....if Rodgers is out of GB, are you more likely to keep Cousins?

My bad, I misunderstood you. Me personally, no. I don't think Cousins is the answer (at least for the price). If he wants to stay and takes a salary between 15-20M, I'd probably keep him and use the difference to get help on the OL, since he's definitely dependent on good pass blocking.  But beyond that, no. 

I want a ring more than a division title personally (yes, I realize that one makes it easier to get the other). Cousins can get you that if he's got top notch supporting cast, but that something he's never had here and it's something pretty hard to build from a QB making 35M/season. 

Personally, I'm of the opinion that we trade Cousins (as I think we get at least a 1st for him, especially if we ask for a 2023 first) and let Mond have a shot in 2022. I'd trade off anyone nearing the end (Smith, Theilen, etc) for 2023 picks as well if I could and use 2022 to draft higher ceiling development types/bolster solid play out of core positions on the lines. If Mond fails, we're likely drafting pretty high in 2023 with capital to move.