Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Top 5 Picks for the Twins to Target in the 2022 Draft

Twins Daily Contributor

The Twins are on course for a top five draft pick in 2022. Who caliber of prospect might they land? Who ae some names to watch out for?

The dust has now settled from the trade deadline. In combination with the draft, the deadline served to significantly re-stock a Twins prospect pantry that had been recently depleted by graduations. Alex Kirilloff, Trevor Larnach, and Ryan Jeffers all played significant roles for the 2021 Twins, surpassing prospect status. The Twins acquired five of their top fifteen prospects in July, landing Joe Ryan, Drew Strotman, Simeon Woods-Richardson, and Austin Matin through trades and Chase Petty through the draft. One of the few silver linings of the Twins terrible 2021 season will be their ability to augment an already strong farm system through the 2022 draft. With the Twins on track for a top-five pick, what caliber of prospect might the Twins be able to acquire? Who are some names to look out for?

Dylan Lesko, RHP, Buford (GA), HS

This Spring, Lesko went 11-0 with a 0.35 ERA and 112 strikeouts in 60 innings for Buford High. Lesko has been projected as a top pick for several years and has the talent to go 1-1 overall. Lesko was the Gatorade Player of the Year as an underclassman and offers an incredible combination of size, easy arm action, and projection. Lesko offers a 96 mph fastball, with a plus changeup and is currently committed to Vanderbilt.

Brooks Lee, SS, Cal Poly

Brooks is the son of Larry Lee, the Cal Poly head coach. In 2021, he put up a .342/.384/.626 line with 10 HR and 27 doubles. Lee is a switch hitter with incredible bat-to-ball skills and a solid infielder. He may end up as a second baseman as a professional. 

Temarr Johnson, SS, Mays HS (Atlanta)

Johnson is thought to be one of the best hitters in the entire draft class. Johnson has the best barrel control and has top-of-the-order upside. Evaluators seem unsure of Johnson’s eventual defensive home. He has played SS, 2B, and CF with Team USA. Although Johnson is just 5’10, 175 lbs, he drives the ball hard and has a good chance to develop solid to good power. Johnson is currently uncommitted. 

Jace Jung, 2B/3B. Texas Tech

Jace Jung is the younger brother of Rangers’ draftee Josh Jung. He hit 21 home runs and walked more than he struck out in 2021, finishing the season with a 1.159 OPS and an 18% walk rate. Jung is currently playing in the Cape Cod league and may end up at 2B or 3B as a professional.

Which of these prospects would you most like to see in the Twins system? What other names should we be looking out for in the 2022 draft?

View full article

Maybe the Twins should take a page out of the Blue Jays book and draft Junior.  Bichette, Biggio and Vlad are already part of that explosive offense, and Jeff Conine's kid is on the way.

I'm on the Andruw Jones, Jr. bandwagon right now.

My second choice would be whomever, among Temarr Johnson, Brooks Lee, Jayson Jones and Carter Young, the Twins think can stick at SS.  They all seem destined for 2B, 3B or OF though.

At this point Elijah Green is commonly thought to be the crown jewel of the 2022 draft class. The Twins would likely need to pick first in order to get him, unless something changes over the next year (highly likely). Other than Green I don’t know much about next year’s prospects. Thanks for this list. 

No idea, but my preference is a guy they are confident can stick at SS, or the best college starting pitcher (assuming he hasn't been over used by his college manager.....). After that? HS SS or CF, someone that can play D and hit. 

I don't want anymore bat first corner OF that probably can't field at the MLB level.....

Lesko might be a good prospect but I wouldn't take a HS pitcher with a top five pick. That's a worthy gamble at 26, but too risky at 5.

If they take a position player, I would prefer someone who is projected to stay at a premium position. 

As far as names go, I also like Druw Jones' scouting report. But then, I'm sure a lot will change over the course of the next year, especially when it comes to 17-year-olds who haven't even played their senior season yet.

2 hours ago, Tim said:

Kumar Rocker ?

And he’ll probably be there at 5 since it sounds like he’s not going back to Vanderbilt. I’d take rocker if he’s there. Like gunnarthor said I’d probably take the top college pitcher that’s available. No more OFs unless he has true Buxton potential. Same with SS. If he’s not a lock to stick take the pitcher instead. 

On April 3 and 4 the Twins were on course to be in first place. They are on course to finish the season. They could be the worst team, they could be the 13-14 worst team.

The baseball seasons for prospective draftees I has another full season to go.  These maybe the 5 best, maybe not

This is a fun topic, a positive outcome from an otherwise lost season. Picking in the top 5-10 is exciting enough but having 3 picks in the top 40-50 should really provide a jolt to the talent pipeline. 

If I had to pick a couple of targets nearly a year out I'd be focused on high upside high school hitters that project to be strong defenders at premium positions. The college hitters don't look all that exciting presently but a lot could and probably will change over the next year.  Elijah Green obviously if he somehow fell to them but at this point that looks unlikely. Andruw Jones Jr. followed by Temarr Johnson and Jayson Jones in that order would probably be my targets.  

Kumar Rocker is an interesting discussion. Obviously huge upside, but with the also obvious elbow issue he seems to want to hide, it just doesn't look great from a physical or maturity level perspective. Rocker's options are pretty limited, but if he elects to take a year off, I'd be very concerned. His other options are to sign/play with an independent league or pitch overseas, but most of those leagues have similar seasons to MLB.