Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Trade Deadline Tracker: Twins' News and Rumor Roundup

16 minutes ago, wsnydes said:

Wow!

Interesting part that's not mentioned is that this would make it quite unlikely for the Dodgers to have interest in re-signing Corey Seager next year.

If the Twins truly are not rebuilding, grabbing one of the multiple top end free agent SS next year would be high on my list.

Keep The B Boys and Kepler. Build around them with young talent and FAs. Consign 2021 to the ash heap. With FAs, avoid has beens. Let the young pitchers finish out the year. Give Happ and Shoemaker their check and send them home. Ditto Columbe. Figure out if Rogers is the closer or too unpredictable. 

Trade deadline day is easily my least favorite day of the year. It's always crappy teams giving away their stars to the same 5 or 6 teams (and "surprise" team) each year.

Look how easy it is for the Dodgers and Yankees to get whoever they want, yet 95% of the other teams refuse to do it.

We always take about the king's ransom we can get for our players but it never plays out like that. It's always just middling garbage who, if we're lucky, might be a decent player for a month or two.

I mean, I hope the Twins are offering Simmons as part of any package. Simmons > Turner from what I've seen so far this year. Turner has been caught stealing* three times this year, Simmons has yet to be caught.

*Sorry, best I could do. I was looking for counting stats to compare the two and that's the only thing I could find Simmons was better at this year.

10 hours ago, dex8425 said:

Mike, would you take Gore for Berrios, straight up? I doubt the Padres do it but I'd take that deal in a second. 

I am not sure - I need an up to date scouting report on Gore.    This quote from CBS - "Gore has been at the Padres' spring training facility in Arizona since mid-June while working on his delivery, Colin Deaver of KTSM.com reports.

Gore struggled mightily through six starts for Triple-A El Paso, and after he surrendered six runs in 1.1 innings June 18, the Padres moved him to the alternate site due to blisters on his pitching hand. He's remained there even after getting over the blisters, working on refining his delivery and his arm action. There's no timeline for Gore to return to Triple-A -- much less make his major-league debut -- but general manager AJ Preller did say "we're hoping he's an option here at some point in the second half of the season," which would seem to indicate that the team is still open to bringing him up this year if he can work through his issues. Although this season has taken a bit of the shine off Gore as a prospect, fantasy managers would do well to remember that he's still just 22 years old and has plenty of time to work on his game."

Does not excite me.  We do not need another Lewis Thorpe. 

13 minutes ago, TwinsAce said:

Wow...1st and 2nd prospects (MLB ready) and two mid-range prospects.  I feel like Jose might have had a chance at Gray and a mid-range prospect.

Getting another SS for 2022 probably saves them from doing another long term contract for someone in the off season though, so that probably had auxiliary value the Twins couldn't offer.

5 minutes ago, bean5302 said:

Question in general on Chargois. While he's shown as being under team control for like 4 more years, the Dodgers released him in 2019 and that should have made him a free agent in full right there, shouldn't it have?

Unfortunately not. The rules still allow the team that picks him up to retain his rights until he's reached his service time limit. Really feels like it shouldn't be that way, but that's how it goes. The Twins have pulled that trick a time or two to good benefit. Brandon Kintzler comes to mind.

3 minutes ago, nicksaviking said:

Unfortunately not. The rules still allow the team that picks him up to retain his rights until he's reached his service time limit. Really feels like it shouldn't be that way, but that's how it goes. The Twins have pulled that trick a time or two to good benefit. Brandon Kintzler and Ehire Adrianza come to mind.

Yeah, that's utterly horrible. I'd be eliminating that in the next CBA hands down if I was the MLBPA.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/free-agency#:~:text=Definition,the two parties can agree.

"Players become free agents upon reaching six years of Major League service time or when they are released from their organization prior to reaching six years of service time. A free agent is eligible to sign with any club for any terms to which the two parties can agree. If a player with fewer than six years of service time signs with a club, he remains under the control of that club until reaching the requisite service time to reach free agency -- even if the contract he signed does not cover the remaining years until that point."

12 minutes ago, nicksaviking said:

The Twins have pulled that trick a time or two to good benefit. Brandon Kintzler comes to mind.

Kintzler was released and signed so many times, only the commissioner's office could tell you whether and how his service time played a role. Ehire was a waiver wire pickup for our Twins.

48 minutes ago, ashbury said:

Kintzler was released and signed so many times, only the commissioner's office could tell you whether and how his service time played a role. Ehire was a waiver wire pickup for our Twins.

I don't feel bad if guys were picked up from the waiver wire. That means another team wanted to assume their control/obligations. I just really find it unacceptable to see a guy be under team control until he's 35.

5 minutes ago, USAFChief said:

MLB is in a a bad place when the LA Dodgers can add Max Scherzer and Trea Turner.

This is awful. Ridiculous  

If I were the other teams, I'd just pack it in and make no trades ... I mean ... why? Why expend resources when you are not likely to get past them? I said a while ago to someone that I had a feeling that Cruz would be the only one traded. It's looking like I may be right, but ugh, wish I weren't. Hope I'm not.

2 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

If I were the other teams, I'd just pack it in and make no trades ... I mean ... why? Why expend resources when you are not likely to get past them? I said a while ago to someone that I had a feeling that Cruz would be the only one traded. It's looking like I may be right, but ugh, wish I weren't. Hope I'm not.

They're trailing the Giants in the division right now and the Padres have a heck of a roster right behind the Dodgers. It's all but certain the NL West will have the Wild Card team. Also, with Bauer unlikely to show back up at the teams facilities and Kershaw on the IL, the Dodgers rotation was getting very thin. Picking up Turner probably doesn't make them a whole lot better than how Chris Taylor has been playing at SS so far. The Dodgers have some weaknesses.

Community Moderator
2 minutes ago, bean5302 said:

They're trailing the Giants in the division right now and the Padres have a heck of a roster right behind the Dodgers. It's all but certain the NL West will have the Wild Card team. Also, with Bauer unlikely to show back up at the teams facilities and Kershaw on the IL, the Dodgers rotation was getting very thin. Picking up Turner probably doesn't make them a whole lot better than how Chris Taylor has been playing at SS so far. The Dodgers have some weaknesses.

All of which misses the point. This is worse than the NBA.

It's not healthy for any league for 1 or 2 teams to always game the system and get whatever players they want. 

32 minutes ago, USAFChief said:

All of which misses the point. This is worse than the NBA.

It's not healthy for any league for 1 or 2 teams to always game the system and get whatever players they want. 

Well, I can't disagree that everybody is probably sick and tired of the Dodgers at this point, but they've honestly only replaced the Giants as the NL West juggernaut. The Dodgers television deal was insane and unfair for the rest of MLB. It grants them an enormous competitive advantage. Their farm system has declined quite a bit in recent years, though, and the Dodgers just gave up their top pitching prospect. Their window may be closing and they've already got roughtly $150MM potentially commited to next year with a lot of rotation questions.

Making the playoffs 9 years in a row is a problem for sure, but a lot of that stemmed from playing in a division with the Rockies, Padres and Diamondbacks coupled with a lot of NL teams sucking. All three of the weak division rivals were low budget and pretty awful most of the time.

9 hours ago, bean5302 said:

I don't feel bad if guys were picked up from the waiver wire. That means another team wanted to assume their control/obligations. I just really find it unacceptable to see a guy be under team control until he's 35.

FWIW, the Dodgers released Chargois in 2019 so he could pursue an opportunity in Japan. Not that he would have been guaranteed to be claimed otherwise, but teams have a gentleman’s agreement not to claim such players on release waivers.

(And guys who establish themselves as stars in Japan can negotiate early free agency if they decide to come back to MLB, like Miles Mikolas.)

There is still minor league free agency. Players with parts of 7 seasons on a pro roster or injured list (majors or minors) can elect free agency if they are not on a 40-man roster at the end of the season. Still subject to the normal MLB service time rules, arbitration, etc. if/when they are added to a 40-man roster again.

And that potential control makes players like Chargois more attractive to new teams. Seattle and other teams would likely have less interest in giving an opportunity to a 30 year old Chargois this year if he was guaranteed MLB free agency at the end of the season. Rather than immediate free agency, guys in his position might derive a greater net benefit from a higher minimum salary, earlier arbitration, etc.

8 hours ago, USAFChief said:

The Dodgers have flexed their spending power at times, but the primary factor of their success — and their ability to swing trades like this one — seems to be a great farm system.

14 minutes ago, Otto von Ballpark said:

The Dodgers have flexed their spending power at times, but the primary factor of their success — and their ability to swing trades like this one — seems to be a great farm system.

They can maintain a good farm because they can spend the money to get what they need for much. And then when they need the farm such as now, they have it because they could afford to save it. This deal the Dodgers made likely killed the market now for this deadline and I will be surprised if anything more of significance is done