Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Confidence and Patience are Keys for Wander Javier

Since receiving the largest international signing bonus in Twins history, Wander Javier has displayed athleticism and talent when on the field. Unfortunately, he has missed extended periods of development due to injury and pandemic. However, there are signs in the past month that could get Twins fans excited about the shortstop again. 

Entering play on Saturday, Cedar Rapids shortstop Wander Javier has gone hitless in his past four games (0-for-13). However, over his previous 14 games, Javier had hit a cool .333/.379/.683 (1.062) with two doubles, two triples and five home runs. 

As important, the quality of the plate appearances has greatly improved. With the help of Kernels coach Jairo Rodriguez translating, Javier said that when the season started, he didn’t feel good about his swing. “It was slow,” stated Javier. 

However, he added, “Right now, I feel much better and more comfortable with my swing. I have worked hard in the cage and on the field. My swing feels better now, quicker.” 

Kernels manager Brian Dinkelman pointed out recently, “Wander’s at-bats have been getting better. Not chasing as much. Squaring balls up more and hitting the ball hard. He and Bryce (Berg, Kernels hitting coach) have been working hard in the cage on his approach and getting good pitches to hit. Hopefully he can build off these (recent games), and keep it going for himself.”

Let’s go back in time. In 2015, Javier was a well-known prospect in the Dominican that many teams wanted to sign. The Twins signed a 16-year-old Wander Javier to a $4 million signing bonus. It was the largest in team history for an international signing, topping the $3.15 million bonus that Miguel Sano got in 2009. 

At that time, Javier was ranked among the Top 10 international prospects. So were Vlad Guerrero, Jr. (Toronto, $3.9 million), Christian Pache (Atlanta, $1.4 million) and Gilberto Celestino (Astros, $2.5 million). Also among the Top 30 were Juan Soto who signed for $1.5 million with the Nationals, and Fernando Tatis, Jr., who signed for $700,000 with the White Sox. 

Growing up, Javier noted that he began playing and working with several professional baseball players when he was 11, 12 years old. He said, “It was a good experience to practice with a lot of guys who play professional baseball.”

At that time, Javier noted that he was a big fan of Derek Jeter, “but now I like Francisco Lindor. I think he plays very well.” 

With that type of signing bonus comes notoriety and attention, and with it, very high expectations for such a youngster. 

Javier made his pro debut in the Dominican Summer League in 2016 and hit .308/.400/.654 (1.054) in nine games. He had three doubles and two homers before an injury ended his season. In 2017, he came to the States and hit .299/.383/.471 (.855) with 13 doubles and four homers in 41 games at Elizabethton. 

Unfortunately, he missed the 2018 season due to a shoulder injury. It also cost him a couple of months at the start of the 2019 season. He then went to then-Low A Cedar Rapids where he hit just .177/.278/.323 (.601) with nine doubles and 11 homers in 80 games. 

If there was anyone who wanted or needed a 2020 season, it was Javier. Unfortunately, with the COVID pandemic, there was no season. However, he continued to work. 

Javier noted, “When the quarantine started, I just worked out at home in the Dominican for a couple of months. After that, I went to Santo Domingo and worked with a coach every day.” 

No one should question Javier’s work ethic. Occasionally he posts some video of his offseason workouts, and it is impressive. He has grown and gained strength. 

Javier admitted, “I worked a lot on offense because I didn’t have a good year in 2019. It was very important to be a better hitter this year.” 

When the 2021 minor league season began, Javier returned to Cedar Rapids. However, the Kernels are now the Twins High-A affiliate. He got off to a slow start. Through the season’s first 13 games, he was hitting just .143/.208/.224 (.432). 

In 29 games since then, he has hit .254/.304/.500 (.804) with six doubles, two triples and six homers. 

His manager said, “Confidence is part of it…. Once you start swinging well and have confidence in what you’re doing, stick to your plan and stay in the strike zone, he can do damage on a lot of pitches.”

Javier says, “I try to hit line drives in the games every day, but I do have the ability to hit for power too. But I’m looking to hit more line drives.”  

His goals for the remainder of the season are to continue to make hard contact and reduce his swing-and-miss percentage. 

On defense, Javier has been quite good. Some have described his shortstop defense as “plus-plus.” Dinkelman says, “He’s solid out there at shortstop and makes the plays.” 

Javier noted, “When I started playing baseball, I played shortstop all the time. I continue to work every day there, and I feel good about it.” 

On Friday night in Cedar Rapids, Javier got a game off. The Kernels’ eight-game win streak came to an end, but he has enjoyed his time with this team. “Everybody plays together. Everybody is a good teammate in the clubhouse. Everybody’s working together every day. It’s very good because it helps us play better on the field.” 

2021 is a big season for Wander Javier. At season’s end, he could become a minor league free agent if not added to the Twins 40-man roster. 

It seems as though Javier has been in the organization forever, but at the same time, he will not turn 23 until the end of December. The Twins haven’t given up on him, and neither should Twins fans. 

Dinkelman said, “He’s young, and he shows the skills that he has with the defense and with his bat. He’s been playing with a lot of confidence after a slow start the first couple of weeks. Now he’s playing well, playing better defense too. He’s only 22, it’s not old by any means in baseball. We continue to work with him and help him get better, and hopefully he can move up the ladder sometime this year and become the major-league baseball player that everybody’s hoping he will be.” 

Javier wants to join his good friends Juan Soto and Fernando Tatis, Jr., in the big leagues. “They certainly motivate me, but I need to continue to work hard every day because I want to play in the big leagues next year… or this year. Soon!” 

Wander Javier has found some confidence in his game. Now, he (and Twins fans) will have to continue to be patient.

View full article

Thanks for this piece, Seth.

The biggest surprise for me this year is his power.  Never expected to see him hit four home runs in a week like he did.  Now he needs to make certain this slump doesn't extend for weeks and get back to consistently getting on base.  Although it is taking longer than his friends, hopefully, he can join them at an all-star game four or five years from now.

Excellent work Seth.  Javier is another key piece for the future of this franchise..especially at SS if Royce Lewis moves to the OF in the future.  Will make a concerted effort to focus my attention on his continued development.  Hopefully will get a chance to see Javier in person as I'm planning for a July 11th--Sunday afternoon game--road trip to see the Kernels play Peoria.

They said in the Article that his Defense was very good, his Offense was what was needed work and except for the Quarantine he might have been in St. Paul this year. Personally, I think the Twins could do with some young talent in the infield and bring Royce Lewis up to strengthen the Outfield.

He's probably at least 2 years away because of slumps and missed time. However, he seems to be able to handle the tough times and that is important in a prospect. I'm not high on Lewis at all so we'll see where this guy winds up for the rest of this year and next.

19 hours ago, roger said:

Thanks for this piece, Seth.

The biggest surprise for me this year is his power.  Never expected to see him hit four home runs in a week like he did.  Now he needs to make certain this slump doesn't extend for weeks and get back to consistently getting on base.  Although it is taking longer than his friends, hopefully, he can join them at an all-star game four or five years from now.

Checked the Strib over breakfast and saw he had a 2-hit game last night.  Didn't say what type of hits, will see about that when I read last night's minor league article above.  But two hits puts his little slump of 0-fors behind him.  This kid still has the potential to be one of the two-way stars of the next great Twins team...come on Wander, get it done.