Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Notebook: Wade Dealt to Giants; Twins Have Active Competition in SP Market

Twins Daily Contributor

The Twins made a trade, the starting pitcher rumor mill has started to heat up, 2021 AL Central odds and more. Come check out tonight's notebook.Lamonte Wade traded to Giants for RHP Shaun Anderson

Anderson is the regime’s prototype slider heavy pitcher and has mostly been used as a reliever with the Giants. Nick Nelson breaks down the new Twins pitcher here.

Starting Pitcher update

Aside from adding Anderson tonight many Twins fans, including myself, think the Twins should be looking to add one more starter.

All three of those names are of interest to me to fill-in as a number 3, 4, or 5 starter depending on how you rate Jose Berrios and J.A. Happ. Matthew Taylor broke down Odorizzi and Paxton here. I think Odorizzi and Paxton are a step above Walker but all three have good ceilings, while I think Paxton has the safest floor so he’d be my pick if I had a say.

Bovada released Twins betting lines

Second in the AL Central?! Wow. The oddsmakers must be drinking the same Kool-Aid as White Sox Nation!

Trevor Bauer update

The Twins are still out on the pitcher but there were a lot of conflicting reports today, and he’s still worth tracking to see how many times the Twins may have to face the Cy Young Award winner.. His agent, Rachel Luba, clarified tonight that he does not currently have a deal with the Mets after tweeting “Down to 2” earlier in the day. According to Mark Feinsand of MLB.com, the Dodgers are the other team which would be good news for the Twins as both possibilities leave him in the NL.

White Sox add Jonathan Lucroy via Minor League Deal

More name value than productive value here ... don’t let White Sox Nation aka Bovada fool you, this is a speculative add that doesn’t push them ahead of the Twins on paper.

Eddie in a Cleveland uniform

Odd sight.

MORE FROM TWINS DAILY

— Latest Twins coverage from our writers

— Recent Twins discussion in our forums

— Follow Twins Daily via Twitter, Facebook or email

Click here to view the article

How is "White Sox fans drinking the Kool-Aid" any different than what people are doing on this site?

It was a close race last year. Both teams have added talent, but I think the additions the Sox made were higher impact.

They should absolutely be the prohibitive favorites to win the Central now in what should be another close race.

“Prohibitive favorites”? Looks to me like even-odds. White Sox may have a slight edge on paper, but they need to put it together on the field to dethrone the Two Time Defending Champions. They will also have some growing pains with LaRussa’s leadership, while our players know what to expect with Rocco.

“Prohibitive favorites”? Looks to me like even-odds. White Sox may have a slight edge on paper, but they need to put it together on the field to dethrone the Two Time Defending Champions. They will also have some growing pains with LaRussa’s leadership, while our players know what to expect with Rocco.

They have more pitching (both in the rotation and bullpen) and the offenses are basically a wash ... assuming Cruz doesn't regress at all, Donaldson and Buxton stay healthy, and that last year was the anomaly for the guys that took a step back from 2019.

Yeah, they'll have some hiccups adjusting to LaRussa, but look how quickly they closed the gap from '19 to '20.

Too many people on this site LOVE to write off what other teams accomplish while greatly overstating what this team accomplishes. 

Twins +185 and ChiSox at -140 to win the Central at Bovada? That's a little better than 5/2 odds for the Twins as a direct bet. I'll take that proffer on the Twins side.

I'm willing to discuss that wager with anyone who thinks that's a good Chicago bet. Winnings to a preferred non-profit.

The "Unwritten Rules of Baseball" CLEARLY state:

"You are allowed to hate beyond all reasonable thought any rival in your teams division.  Categorized under this hate is the expectation that said rival team will fail and that you the fan of the morally superior team MUST write off and disparage ANY possible attempts to improve said team."

As you can see... the rules support the aforementioned angst against the Imitation Cubs.   

As it is (Un)Written, it must be so.   ;)   

"Second in the AL Central?! Wow. The oddsmakers must be drinking the same Kool-Aid as White Sox Nation!"

Naw, a lot more people in Chicago bet on baseball than people in Minnesota.

Not saying the odds are wrong, but they are set to equalize the betting interest, not to make the best prediction of the future.

Happy to have the pressure on the young team with a lot of players who think they have to perform like superstars right out of the gate. Lots of talent, not a ton of seasoning...other than LaRussa, who might have a little too much. Lots of potential, though, along with some quality vets that's for sure. Hopefully it doesn't come together for too many of them all at once.

Naw, a lot more people in Chicago bet on baseball than people in Minnesota.

Of course, I don't bet on sports, but as an economist I have to chip in that it is always rational for a risk-averse person to bet against his or her favorite team. It reduces the variation in your mood because you either win the game or you win the bet.

The "Unwritten Rules of Baseball" CLEARLY state:

"You are allowed to hate beyond all reasonable thought any rival in your teams division.  Categorized under this hate is the expectation that said rival team will fail and that you the fan of the morally superior team MUST write off and disparage ANY possible attempts to improve said team."

As you can see... the rules support the aforementioned angst against the Imitation Cubs.   

As it is (Un)Written, it must be so.   ;)   

^So Good^

I'm sure Bauer is worth what he'll get paid, but at this point, with only 2 teams left, I think the Twins, being where they're at in the competitive window, would be remiss to not check back in with him, and show him they're serious. 

"I think Odorizzi and Paxton are a step above Walker but all three have good ceilings, while I think Paxton has the safest floor so he’d be my pick if I had a say."

I'm not quite on the same wavelength. I would argue Odorizzi has the safest floor as his injury situation last year could easily be considered fluky and not likely to be an issue going forward. Paxton has a higher ceiling, but seems to be a greater injury risk. Walker is a total wild card and should be priced as such. Walker would be my choice if they are looking for a budget addition (5M or less). The others will likely go for (much) more.

"I think Odorizzi and Paxton are a step above Walker but all three have good ceilings, while I think Paxton has the safest floor so he’d be my pick if I had a say."

I'm not quite on the same wavelength. I would argue Odorizzi has the safest floor as his injury situation last year could easily be considered fluky and not likely to be an issue going forward. Paxton has a higher ceiling, but seems to be a greater injury risk. Walker is a total wild card and should be priced as such. Walker would be my choice if they are looking for a budget addition (5M or less). The others will likely go for (much) more.

This. Paxton probably profiles the best but he gets injured every year it seems. Odo is the safest best to throw the most innings next year if you ask me. 

I've never heard of either Lamonte Wade or Shaun Anderson.

Next time, lead the article with a new beer or whiskey cocktail you have tried and liked recently. Leading with Wade and Anderson made me want to close this article, but now that I did read it, I still don't know who either guy is.

I didn't know the twins didn't resign one of the most consistent hitting OF in Eddie Rosario.

Who are the twins replacing Rosario with? Jake Cave now full time OF?

SP free agents that COULD have fit well for the Twins was Tanaka (now playing in Japan) since Maeda is also native Japanese. Twins missed the boat there.... thoughts @MattLenz

How is "White Sox fans drinking the Kool-Aid" any different than what people are doing on this site?

It was a close race last year. Both teams have added talent, but I think the additions the Sox made were higher impact.

They should absolutely be the prohibitive favorites to win the Central now in what should be another close race.

The Fangraphs 2021 projected standings have the Twins with a slight winning percentage edge, .547 to .540.

Basically a tie.

I've never heard of either Lamonte Wade or Shaun Anderson. Next time, lead the article with a new beer or whiskey cocktail you have tried and liked recently. Leading with Wade and Anderson made me want to close this article, but now that I did read it, I still don't know who either guy is.

Um... Wade had over 100 plate appearances with the Twins over the past two seasons so...

The Fangraphs 2021 projected standings have the Twins with a slight winning percentage edge, .547 to .540.

Basically a tie.

And Vegas has the Sox at anywhere from +105 to -135 and the Twins ranging between +155 and +210.

I'm taking Vegas over Fangraphs every time.

Hopefully it changes before Opening Day.

I've never heard of either Lamonte Wade or Shaun Anderson.Next time, lead the article with a new beer or whiskey cocktail you have tried and liked recently. Leading with Wade and Anderson made me want to close this article, but now that I did read it, I still don't know who either guy is.I didn't know the twins didn't resign one of the most consistent hitting OF in Eddie Rosario.Who are the twins replacing Rosario with? Jake Cave now full time OF?SP free agents that COULD have fit well for the Twins was Tanaka (now playing in Japan) since Maeda is also native Japanese. Twins missed the boat there.... thoughts @MattLenz

lol

And Vegas has the Sox at anywhere from +105 to -135 and the Twins ranging between +155 and +210.

I'm taking Vegas over Fangraphs every time.

Hopefully it changes before Opening Day.

I don’t know who is more accurate, I’ve never checked, but Vegas’ goal isn’t accuracy, it’s to split the bets.

• 6 months later...

So who wants to tell me I was right all along first? We can start a line if it makes it easier for everyone.

I was mocked when I questioned the offseason. I was laughed at when I said the Sox were the clear division favorites. I was questioned when I said to bet the under on the 88.5 wins Vegas predicted. People thought me crazy when I said this team had 2011 written all over it.

I'll wait ...

1 hour ago, jud6312 said:

So who wants to tell me I was right all along first? We can start a line if it makes it easier for everyone.

I was mocked when I questioned the offseason. I was laughed at when I said the Sox were the clear division favorites. I was questioned when I said to bet the under on the 88.5 wins Vegas predicted. People thought me crazy when I said this team had 2011 written all over it.

I'll wait ...

5jlzm0.jpg

Enjoy.