Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Indians no more

PDX Twin

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the NYT article:

"One of the people said Cleveland planned to keep the Indians name and uniforms for the 2021 season while working to shift as early as 2022."

This to me is a cop-out. They currently have jerseys that have "Cleveland" across the front. I don't see why they can't use those for a year until everything else is put in place.

The PC culture wins again....what a shame. I totally get removing the Chief Wahoo logo from their uniforms and signage but there is nothing wrong with the word Indians. It's in no way offensive or degrading like the Washington Redskins name was.

The PC culture wins again....what a shame. I totally get removing the Chief Wahoo logo from their uniforms and signage but there is nothing wrong with the word Indians. It's in no way offensive or degrading like the Washington Redskins name was.

I’ve heard that too, can’t remember where, but if changing their name was the best way to disassociate from the mascot, then it seems pretty straightforward.

I thought they should have done it after 2016, the year they nearly won the series, myself. Might have been easier on some of the fans to do it in a feel good moment.

From the NYT article:

"One of the people said Cleveland planned to keep the Indians name and uniforms for the 2021 season while working to shift as early as 2022."

This to me is a cop-out. They currently have jerseys that have "Cleveland" across the front. I don't see why they can't use those for a year until everything else is put in place.

Aren't the ones with Cleveland the gray, away jerseys? I think most teams wear the nickname at home and the city away.

And, of course, "Vikings" is offensive and must go, to say nothing of the "Fighting Irish."

Has Cleveland's ownership group committed to staying in Cleveland? Sounds like an opportunity to relocate, IMO. Name change, slashing payroll, and losing their star player Lindor. We could be seeing the plot of Major League being played out in real life... 

Has Cleveland's ownership group committed to staying in Cleveland? Sounds like an opportunity to relocate, IMO. Name change, slashing payroll, and losing their star player Lindor. We could be seeing the plot of Major League being played out in real life... 

Not sure what purpose the dropping of the Indians name (without a replacement) would serve in that larger ambition.

Just saw in the New York Times that Cleveland is dropping the Indians moniker. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/13/sports/baseball/cleveland-indians-baseball-name-change.html

No word about to what they might change. Wind Surge seems to already be taken. :)

"Wind Surge" just shows an extreme amount of creativity! It can be done, then. 

Archived