Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Injuries and Departures Push a Bench Role into the Twins' Top Offseason Needs

Twins Daily Contributor

The Twins are set to lose two utility players this offseason in Marwin Gonzalez and Ehire Adrianza. Due to the injury history of the infield, the club would serve themselves well to give careful attention to this role. Putting high importance on finding a player that can backup at shortstop.The Minnesota Twins front office is tasked once again with finding the answer to the impossible question, how to win a playoff game? One move runs under the radar. It will not impact the Twins national image or even their MLB odds, but it could help them navigate the regular season better in 2021.

The Twins need to fill their utility role for 2021 as both Marwin Gonzalez and Ehire Adrianza hit free agency. While neither Gonzalez (.211/.289/.320 in 53 games) or Adrianza (.191/.287/.270 in 44 games) performed very well in 2020, both were heavily relied on in the shortened 60 game season to help the team through injuries to Josh Donaldson, Luis Arraez, and others.

Another injury that demands attention is Jorge Polanco’s ankle. Time and again we saw what seemed to be a much less aggressive approach at the plate. The results were less power with a drop in slugging percentage from .485 in 2019 to .354 in 2020. Also only 4 home runs in 2020 (adjusted to 10.8 rate over full season) after hitting 22 home runs in 2019.

Health is always a concern over a 162 game season and especially could be with ongoing questions surrounding Donaldson and Polanco. Ideally, the Twins will find a utility player who can fill in at shortstop with confidence to let Polanco rest if his right ankle flares up again in 2021.

What are the Internal Options?

Internally, the Twins have some minor leaguers who are on the cusp of the majors. Travis Blankenhorn is certainly a player who can play all over the diamond and seems ready for the big leagues. That resulted in a 2020 call up. His shortfall is he wouldn’t be able to man shortstop.

Although Nick Gordon has fallen from his spot of once top prospect. It seems possible that the Twins could decide to give him the chance to grab a utility role in 2021. While there have been questions about his defense, he certainly has experience at short.

Lastly, is Twins current top prospect Royce Lewis. It would be a bit of a shock if he starts out 2021 on the Twins active roster. It would seem that either something would have happened to Buxton and Lewis ends up as a center fielder, or the Twins make a drastic move such as shifting Polanco to a utility role (as suggested in the Athletic) and Lewis supplants him as the starter.

Free Agents

The free agent market seems to be full of two sorts of players who can play short. Those seeking a starting role and those who wouldn’t serve as an upgrade. Guys like Didi Gregorious, Marcus Semien, Andrelton Simmons, and maybe even Freddy Galvis would all be a fun surplus, but will likely be seeking out starting roles. Then there is the likes of Joe Panik and Eric Sogard who are not an upgrade over anyone currently on the Twins roster.

Jose Iglesias is the most intriguing name that pops up on MLB Trade Rumors Free Agent list. He has a $3.5 million club option which would seemingly be picked up after having a quality 2020 as he hit .373/.400/.556 and is proven as a good defensive shortstop. Even though he had a bit of a down year in the field for 2020 posting a -2 DRS.

What to do?

If I had a voice in the Twins front office I would suggest the Twins reserve a spot for one of their minor leaguers. Any one of them will be cheaper than the free agent options and that will be a trait plenty of teams will be seeking after COVID has hampered their revenue. There is also more upside in guys like Blankenhorn and Gordon than the free agent crop that would sign up for a utility role.

My other suggestion would be to bring back Adrianza. This hinges on how many roster spots will be available for the utility role as the team puts together the roster. Adrianza can defensively handle short and seems to be one of the few available utility type players that can be said about. His offensive numbers should hopefully go up from 2020 based on past performances.

What are your thoughts? Where would you like the Twins to turn as Marwin and Ehire exit to test free agency this offseason?

MORE FROM TWINS DAILY

— Latest Twins coverage from our writers

— Recent Twins discussion in our forums

— Follow Twins Daily via Twitter, Facebook or email

Click here to view the article

Polanco would be a great Super Utility Guy. Better than Trashcan Marwin. Arraez at 2B. Lewis ultimately at short. Blankenhorn and Gordon get to compete for positions too. Outfield of Buxton, Kepler, Kiriloff, Rooker, Rosario, and Larnach (sans two). Kiriloff also backs up Sano at 1B. Then we see how it shakes out. Some will earn spots and others will get demoted or DFAed. It’s time for the Twins Meritocracy.

Adrainza would be cheap, even if you sign him will not be out much if someone moves past him for playing time, With that said, I am all for a youth movement, Time to give Gordon, Blankenhorn, Jeffers, Kirilloff, and Rooker opportunities to see what they can do at MLB level, Lewis and Larnach may be mid to late season callups. 

Francisco Lindor is a free agent and would solve the SS problem.  And he would add a bat that can actually make contact with a pitch.  Trade away Sano, Polanco, Kepler.  Replace Sano and Kepler with Rooker/Larnach and Kirilloff.  And if Lewis looks ready, bring him up to play all the outfield spots as a replacement for whomever needs a rest.

Great article and even timely, though the Hot Stove is a ways away.

The bench failed a lot in 2020. Like ANY team or ANY player, how much stock do you place on any under performing player in a short and crazy season?

First of all, shame on anyone to just blast Marwin or Adrianza. While Gonzalez may have not lived up to his contract, be did a fine job in '19. While he looked slow and his bat disappeared in this past season, his defense was largely good to great. Adrianza continued to play fine defense, though his OK bat also disappeared. I was pleasantly surprised by Cave in CF defensively, but his offense is just so inconsistent. (Not so sure Wade hasn't surpassed him). Avilla was a smart signing, seemed solid behind the plate, but appears done.

While I doubt the primary lineup will be different other than Rosario...finances and young talent...the bench needs to be addressed.

I don't know who at this point, though the OP presents options, a 5th STARTING CALIBER infielder needs to be brought on board. Thats what Marwin was tbe past two years. The Twins need that 5th guy to play decent defense with a solid bat to fill in where he can, even if be isn't a normal SS option. Next, tbe Twins need to decide if Adrianza's bat is dead, or was it just a bad year. The guy plays great defense and his bat was solid for his role in 2018-19. Can you count on him in '21?

On paper, Blankenhorn and Gordon are almost perfect replacements. ONE GAME and a couple balls be didn't get to doesn't diminish my hope that Blankenhorn couldn't be a nice super-sub. But I'm not going to bet on him to start next season. Talk about hard luck cases, Gordon has dealt with everything from intestinal issues...seemingly resolved...to injuries where Adrianza got promoted ahead of him, to a bad covid situation that robbed him of most of his projected 2020 taxi squad season. The ability is still there to be a quality player, at least in a reserve role.

For a team with a still wide open window, I am hoping for Blankenhorn and Gordon in 2021 but NOT banking on them and I am looking via trade or FA for a viable Marwin replacement and very possibly/probably an Adrianza replacement as well.

I'm also looking to move on from Cave as well. I like him, but as stated, I Want someone more consistent in everything they do. I want someone to play good defense and provide some more consistent offense. Everyone seems to state they want a RH hitter for this spot. I'm not sold on that. Kepler, Kirilloff and Larnach are all LH. Rooker is RH. So is Buxton. Only Kepler can fill in at CF. Last I checked, most pitchers are still RH. I just want someone to be a legitimate option offensively and defensively for that spot.

I think catcher is solid as is with Jeffers and Garver. And Garver is absolutely not the hitter we saw in '20. But it would be very smart to sign a veteran MLB/AAA guy to compete and provide depth.

Spend $ for a Marwin replacement. Do the same for Adrianza..maybe. let Blankenhorn and Gordon earn their opportunity. Find a legit 4th OF. Grab the best AAAA catcher you can.

Most likely the prospects within the organization will get their chance in the coming year. 2020 was short and strange and didn't give many at-bats to the top prospects. Next year should be different. Most everyone on TD is more than willing to say goodbye to Adrianza and Gonzalez and that is especially true of Marwin since he had an eight-figure contract. I guess I agree, but given who the manager is and who his players are, utility guys are both important and will get lots of playing time. 

The combination of Adrianza and Gonzalez was very versatile, offered two switch hitters and gave the Twins solid defense wherever they were put in the field. That is much more than nothing. Neither hits well enough and both are past 30 years of age. It should be noted how rare it is to have a utility guy who not only can play multiple positions in the infield, but also is capable in the outfield. 

That said, one thing lacking in Ehire and Marwin is speed. The Twins have only one player who would be considered to have well above average speed and neither Adrianza or Gonzalez would even be average. I do think that replacements for the two Venezuelans should have the speed tool in their toolkit. Having versatile switch hitters would be nice, as well. I really don't like the idea of bringing up a rookie to be a bench player. They usually are accustomed to playing regularly and might not be able to adjust to playing infrequently and sporadically. 

Twins Daily Contributor

That said, one thing lacking in Ehire and Marwin is speed. The Twins have only one player who would be considered to have well above average speed and neither Adrianza or Gonzalez would even be average. I do think that replacements for the two Venezuelans should have the speed tool in their toolkit. 

I hadn't even considered the speed tool into this equation. It would be interesting to ask if stolen bases aren't a regular part of the Twins attack because they lack the skill or if it is an approach that they have chosen to rely on getting hits versus "manufacturing runs." With that said, I wonder if Gordon or Lewis are your best route to more speed on the roster outside of a trade. 

Francisco Lindor is a free agent and would solve the SS problem.  And he would add a bat that can actually make contact with a pitch.  Trade away Sano, Polanco, Kepler.  Replace Sano and Kepler with Rooker/Larnach and Kirilloff.  And if Lewis looks ready, bring him up to play all the outfield spots as a replacement for whomever needs a rest.

I'd LOVE for Lindor to become a Twin--I enjoy watching that man play the game. 

But the idea of sticking an infielder in the outfield is one that I hope has died in the Twins organization.  I remember Santana, Escobar, Sano and I think someone else being stuck out there, with predictable (poor) results.  If Lewis has shown in the minors that he can play outfield, OK, but it's not an entry level position for a major leaguer. 

Lindor is not a free agent. He has one more year of team control, much like Mookie Betts last year. Cleveland is likely going to trade him this offseason (at least that was the CW until 2020 become that COVID season) and I still think they will listen, but they are going to want a lot of talent in exchange for Mr. Lindor. 

I don't think we'd really want to give Cleveland a couple top pitching prospects plus Lewis/Kirilloff/ Larnach for Lindor, but someone would and will give them a lot for him.

I'm fine with looking internally for one of these spots and externally for the other. Trying to find a strong-glove SS should be a priority, especially if they could fill in a little at 3B as necessary. Then you can let Blankenhorn & Gordon fight it out for the other spot with the loser waiting in the wings in the minors to step in for an additional injury.

Not sure who that SS backup is yet, but I think they'll need to go outside the organization for it. Not sure Adrianza should be run back again; he's ok defensively, not great and if he's not hitting he's just another utility guy.

Polanco as the utility guy, and Lewis up at SS. Keep Arraez at 2B, especially against righties, and have Polanco back up all positions in the infield and play every day. Blankenhorn should be able to help too, but a man can dream on an Eduardo Ecobar reunion too, right? :)