Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Coronavirus Prevention Efforts Impact Twins’ Opening Road Trip

Bans on large gatherings, aimed to limit the potential spread of the coronavirus, have resulted in the Twins’ first road trip of the season being up in the air. MLB has a league-wide conference call scheduled for Friday, according to Jeff Passan of ESPN.The Twins were expecting to open their season Thursday, March 26 in Oakland. The City of Oakland and Alameda County announced today they would prohibit gatherings of 1,000 people or more through the end of March.

The Twins’ second series of the season was scheduled to start Monday, March 30 in Seattle. Washington Governor Jay Inslee announced a similar ban on large group events through March.

Both the Athletics and Mariners announced in press releases that they were working with the Major League Baseball Office of the Commissioner on alternative plans for their games impacted by the bans. Greg Johns of MLB.com reported some alternatives being considered are playing those games at Seattle’s spring training complex in Arizona or keeping the games in Seattle, but playing them in an empty stadium.

The Twins’ home opener is currently slated for Thursday, April 2. At this time (the evening of Wednesday, March 11) there have been no large group restrictions or any reports regarding the future of that game being up in the air, but it’s certainly a situation to monitor.

The NBA suspended its season Wednesday evening after a player on the Utah Jazz preliminarily tested positive for COVID-19. The NCAA announced it plans on holding both the men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, among many other events, without fans in attendance.

MORE FROM TWINS DAILY

— Latest Twins coverage from our writers

— Recent Twins discussion in our forums

— Follow Twins Daily via Twitter, Facebook or email

Click here to view the article

Yeah, sad to say but baseball is going to be shelved for a considerable period at this point.

The whole planet, every country, every business, every community -- we are entering a new reality that has not occurred in the modern world.

With latent transmission being a possibility over the long term, the lack of a vaccine, the reality of being able to get corona virus a second and third and endless number of times -- the economic impacts, in places like Italy sitting on $3 trillion in debt and the whole country shut down.

Sports will be a welcome relief at some point in the future, but right now, they seem like a fatuous extravagance before we knew what was really happening.

Stay safe out there.

Hate to say it, but C19 is going to disrupt pro sports for the next couple years, until everybody has been vaccinated. It's also going to kill foreign tourism worldwide. America will be lucky if only half our population gets it, which means millions could die, well before vaccines or cures are available. 

Black elderberry. Try searching on that, plus health benefits. Capsules are relatively cheap, per hundred. 

you know, this virus has lower mortality rates in first world nations than the flu. No one would do this for the flu. Not saying don't be careful, but the level of panic here is not warranted.

What are you saying? 

Just let everyone get it and see what happens? Survival of the fittest?

Do you know what being in the hospital for weeks is like? How expensive it is?  How completely shut down would be every phase of our economy once infection rates reach 50-60-70%? How many seniors would die?

All so we can have a baseball season?

Wake up. Hard place met rock. There's going to be a new normal here; we are all implicated.

And no one knows where this goes or ends. Period.

What are you saying?

Do you know what being in the hospital for weeks is like? How expensive it is? How completely shut down would be every phase of our economy once infection rates reach 50-60-70%? How many seniors would die?

Wake up. Hard place met rock. There's going to be a new normal here; we are all implicated.

I think the worry here is that this virus mutates into something worse. And it is affecting seniors way worse than the flu.I personally wouldn’t be worried if I got it, but J definitely see why there’s caution.

Hate to say it, but C19 is going to disrupt pro sports for the next couple years, until everybody has been vaccinated. It's also going to kill foreign tourism worldwide. America will be lucky if only half our population gets it, which means millions could die, well before vaccines or cures are available. 

Black elderberry. Try searching on that, plus health benefits. Capsules are relatively cheap, per hundred. 

Just take Zinc, it does the exact same thing. 

you know, this virus has lower mortality rates in first world nations than the flu. No one would do this for the flu. Not saying don't be careful, but the level of panic here is not warranted.

This is not true. The flu has a death rate of 0.1%, and Covid-19 has a death rate of between 2% and 3%, that's 20 to 30 times the flu. Right now in the US the Covid-19 mortality rate is 2.84%, compared to 3.63% worldwide.  You can find these stats at https://coronavirus.thebaselab.com/

Here's a helpful article with more stats and comparisons between Covid-19 and the flu:

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

But the infection rate is a lot higher ... more people will be infected. While the mortality rate may stay at a lower 1-2%, the total number of deaths may be higher. We just don't know yet. So yes, don't panic, but do be cautious. There also is a vaccine for the flu ... okay, it doesn't cover all strains, but it will lessen the severity if you do get it. I see no panic here in this thread on TD ... only people taking it seriously. I'm sure we have many posters here on TD who fall into one of the more vulnerable categories. Now ... if we hear people here are out buying 200 rolls of TP? That's panic. But doing due diligence to stop its spread is warranted. That is not panic. Be careful labeling people as panicky when they choose to follow protocols issued by the CDC, NIH, WHO ... When was the last time you saw an entire country being locked down? And until everyone has been tested and this has run its course, we don't know actual numbers of anything. While I'm not worried about myself, as I'm not in any high risk group, I am being very careful because of all the people I come in contact with throughout my day, especially my elderly mother. And I know several people who have asthma. It's for that reason I'm being cautious by trying to limit my contact with people and things, washing my hands more often, staying home rather than going out ... What we know is that this is a highly infectious strain. I think it wise that sporting events are being cancelled, postponed or played without an audience. I don't think that's panicking ... I think we're seeing officials follow protocols.

Dont sensor yourself, were all adults. 

The site censors some words for you ... for ****'s sake ... ****'s real ... ******* ... you get the gist. No one really needs to censor themselves, because the site will take care of it for you.

That said ... don't over use this feature. Unless it's a game thread and things have gone south. :)

the reality of being able to get corona virus a second and third and endless number of times

That's one I haven't seen. Do you have a source? I didn't locate one with a small bit of googling.

There are frequent mentions in the news of a vaccine being in the works, which I would think would be pointless if you could keep getting the infection.

That's one I haven't seen. Do you have a source? I didn't locate one with a small bit of googling.

There are frequent mentions in the news of a vaccine being in the works, which I would think would be pointless if you could keep getting the infection.

I thought I read that in Japan they had discovered some getting reinfected? I'd have to do more googling ... but yes ... this serves as a reminder to be careful what information you are giving is legit.

Edit: This wasn't what I read originally, but here is one article. They don't know for sure if it was faulty testing or if some were reinfected or they just don't know. They don't think it likely, but still too early to tell? But this is a dated article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-reinfection.html

What are you saying? 

Do you know what being in the hospital for weeks is like? How expensive it is?  How completely shut down would be every phase of our economy once infection rates reach 50-60-70%? How many seniors would die?

I'm saying that no one would do what is currently being done over the flu if it were to outbreak... Use some common sense, but if that's the litmus, then you may as well shut down all schools, all professional sports... well everything... forever... just hole up in your cave, because outbreaks like this happen every single year multiple times. 

No one knows where it ends.. yeah, I get that. We do have pretty good data now on how contagious it is and how dangerous it actually is... and it's nor more dangerous than the flu. We aren't even talking measles or something like that. 

Everyone just do your part. There’s only one blue print that’s worked so far from China and South Korea. They quarantined everyone and found a way to prevent it from spiking in the environment.

I know sports has been the fabric of our society and makes us feel normal. It’s just not that important right now.

Let them play with no fans, only able to be watched on TV - the owners don't really even need to sell tickets to make money with all the TV revenue available to them.

Yeah ... I'm selfishly wanting the games to be played and televised. I'm out of market anyway so am able to watch the games with my mlb plan. So ... play the game even if fans aren't allowed in the stadiums.

I wonder if players are being tested ... and if one player comes up positive ... then what?

Yeah ... I'm selfishly wanting the games to be played and televised. I'm out of market anyway so am able to watch the games with my mlb plan. So ... play the game even if fans aren't allowed in the stadiums.

I wonder if players are being tested ... and if one player comes up positive ... then what?

looking at the proximity of which athletes are held in, I don’t see how fan-free games are a solution for game play. Fan-free baseball is the best public health measure (so we can all watch from our bunkers) but the proximity to which the players locker/dress, there’s no way to protect the players from each other, unless you quarantine two teams inside a baseball field and never move.

Subjecting 26 players to airports 80 times dooms them to the virus. One player in the clubhouse....

looking at the proximity of which athletes are held in, I don’t see how fan-free games are a solution for game play. Fan-free baseball is the best public health measure (so we can all watch from our bunkers) but the proximity to which the players locker/dress, there’s no way to protect the players from each other, unless you quarantine two teams inside a baseball field and never move.

Subjecting 26 players to airports 80 times dooms them to the virus. One player in the clubhouse....

Yeah ... that's why I wondered how/if players are being tested ... but then, will their families and friends be as well? The season opener is likely to be postponed, and the season shortened ... just not sure how/when this will happen. If they can't come into contact with one another, then they can't practice, either ... sooooooo ... I think we are looking at May or June for baseball to start.

As baseball fans we understand small sample sizes. This virus is 3 months old. The stats dont mean much right now. Odds are that all who have it haven't been identified yet. I'm not sure we are ready to compare stats to past outbreaks of anything.

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not sure how anyone can watch the unprecedented measures taking place and still try to compare it to other outbreaks that didn't require these unprecedented measures.

I'm not panicked, I'm going to carry on as normal with the exception that I've decided to not make my weekly visits to see my Dad in the nursing home an hour away. I'd appreciate it if the nursing home didn't allow me to visit if I tried in consideration of the unknowns and elderly vulnerability.

I'd like to visit my Dad again. I'd like my 401K to quit dropping, I'd like to purchase TP stocked on the shelves and I'd rather not pay triple the price when I do. I'd like to attend baseball games. The quicker we get this under control is in my best interest.

I'm listening to the experts and I'm not assuming conspiracy.