Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/11): Nick Burdi throws Heat!

Brian Dozier was back in the lineup for the Twins as they played just their second game of the week after an off day on Monday and a rainout on Wednesday night. Dozier was a little rusty after his time off and struck out three times, but birthday boy Miguel Sano hit a birthday #powerbanana and the Twins held on to beat the White Sox 7-6.

TRANSACTIONS

On Thursday afternoon, Rochester announced that Drew Rucinski had reported to the Red Wings. To make room, Nik Turley had been sent down to extended spring training. That was a pretty large hint of things to come. You see, by sending Turley to extended rather than Chattanooga, he could be immediately recalled to the Red Wings whenever they needed another pitcher. But why would the Red Wings need another pitcher?

Well, following the Twins game, the team announced that Jose Berrios would be called up prior to Saturday's game in Cleveland and make the start. A corresponding move will be made at that time as well.Find out everything that happened in the Twins minor league system on Thursday.

RED WINGS REPORT

Rochester 3 @ Pawtucket 2

Box Score

The Red Wings pushed two runs across in the top of the ninth inning to earn a victory on Thursday night in Pawtucket. With two outs in the ninth, down by a run with runners on first and second, Bengie Gonzalez singled home Niko Goodrum to tie the game and a Zack Granite single scored John Ryan Murphy from third to put the Wings ahead. Ninth inning heroes Granite and Gonzalez were the only Red Wings with multiple hits, each with a pair of singles and an RBI. The other run was driven in earlier on a Leonardo Reginatto double in the fifth.

Starter Adalberto Mejia gave the Red Wings 6.2 strong innings, scattering 7 hits and giving up two runs. He struck out a pair and did not walk anyone. Busenitz, Chapman and the recently demoted Drew Rucinski held the Red Sox scoreless for the rest of the night and Rucinski picked up the victory thanks to the ninth inning heroics.

CHATTANOOGA CHATTER

Chattanooga 1 @ Montgomery 7

Box Score

Chattanooga starter Matt Tracy gave up a 7-spot in the bottom of the second inning, putting the Lookouts in a big hole they could not dig out of. Tracy stayed in to finish the third inning, and then Randy Rosario gave the Lookouts three innings of one-hit baseball. He struck out four and walked one. Flame throwing Nick Burdi pitched the final two innings of the night, perfectly, and struck out three.

Jon Rodriguez came into Thursday night riding a 14-game hitting streak, just one shy of Zack Granite’s season leading 15-game hitting streak, but was held hitless on the night, going 0-3 with a walk. In fact, almost all of the Lookouts were hitless, combining for just three hits, a trio of singles from Edgar Corcino, Ryan Walker and Dan “Rolfs are the best” Rohlfing.

MIRACLE MATTERS

Fort Myers 2 @ Charlotte 3

Box Score

Fort Myers scored a run in the top of the first inning, but trailed the rest of the way as the Stone Crabs got to Lachlan Wells for three earned runs in the bottom of the first. Wells pitched six innings, gave up eight hits, just those three runs, and struck out two while not walking anyone. He was replaced by Brady Anderson who kept the Stone Crabs off the board for the final two innings, giving up a pair of hits and a walk in two innings.

The Miracle had nine hits on the night, but were just 1-4 with men in scoring position and didn’t put many guys past first base. Brian Navarreto led the way for the Miracle, going 2-3 with a double and an RBI. Bradley Strong and Sean Miller each added two singles.

KERNELS NUGGETS

Cedar Rapids 0 @ Bowling Green 10

Box Score

The Kernels managed just four hits against Hot Rods starter Travis Ott, and did not manage to pick up any runs on a tough night in Bowling Green. The Kernels had opportunities, but were 0-5 with runners in scoring position and twice hit into double plays.

Kernels starter Sean Poppen gave up five runs (three earned) over six innings, giving up nine hits and a walk against six strike outs. Max Cordy equaled Poppen’s results in just an inning, giving up five more runs in the seventh. Logan Lombana came in for mop up duty and managed an uneventful eighth inning, giving up a walk, but no hits and no runs to finish the day for Kernels hurlers.

TWINS DAILY PLAYERS OF THE DAY

Twins Daily Minor League Pitcher of the Day – Nick Burdi – Chattanooga Lookouts

Twins Daily Minor League Hitter of the Day – Brian Navarreto – Fort Myers Miracle

FRIDAY’S PROBABLE STARTERS

Rochester @ Pawtucket (5:05pm) – LHP Jason Wheeler (2-1, 4.85)

Chattanooga @ Montgomery (7:05pm) – RHP Felix Jorge (3-1, 3.71)

Ft. Myers @ Charlotte (5:35pm) – RHP Chris Anderson (0-0, 14.14)

Cedar Rapids @ Bowling Green (6:35pm) – LHP Domenick Carlini (0-2, 5.74)

Please feel free to ask any questions and discuss Thursday's games.

Click here to view the article

Yeah, I know Burdi missed a season but he is 24. I think the Twins should strongly consider bringing him to the majors to see what he has.

I think that will happen relatively soon but I understand the caution over quickly promoting a guy who essentially didn't pitch last season.

I hope we see Burdi get a promotion in June. Whether that's to Rochester or Minnesota, only time will tell.

Provisional Member

I think it is going to be very hard on a bullpen to have a pitcher (or pitchers) who can't pitch on back-to-back nights and are not suited for 'long relief'. So I would imagine that would be the goal before he is called up.

I know he pitched two clean innings in the blowout last night, does anyone know how he maintained his velocity?

I think it is going to be very hard on a bullpen to have a pitcher (or pitchers) who can't pitch on back-to-back nights and are not suited for 'long relief'. So I would imagine that would be the goal before he is called up.

I know he pitched two clean innings in the blowout last night, does anyone know how he maintained his velocity?

How often do RPs not the closer pitch back to back nights?

Is Jake Reed injured?  I haven't seen his name recently. 

Yup, he hurt his side in  the last exhibition game. 

I wrote this last Saturday... 

http://twinsdaily.com/_/minnesota-twins-news/minnesota-twins-minor-leagues/minor-league-notebook-injuries-and-kernels-report-r5562

Regarding Reed, he's now started a throwing program and will likely miss about another month. 

Could they move Meija to the bullpen and use him that way. The bullpen looks like they could use a lefty that has stuff and can throw hard. Right now they don't have that. 

They need starter depth. I don't think moving Meija to the pen is even an option right now. Don't forget, even with Berrios in the rotation, Nick Tepesch is your 5th starter right now....

They need starter depth. I don't think moving Meija to the pen is even an option right now. Don't forget, even with Berrios in the rotation, Nick Tepesch is your 5th starter right now....

Yeah, the goal should be to get Duffey out of the bullpen, not add Mejia to it.

One of Chargois or Melotakis needs to step up. Burdi is doing his job. The Twins need at least two arms in the pen.

As "stepdad" for Adopt-A-Prospect Ben Rortvedt I would just like to point out that he had the best base hit, a double, against a pitcher clearly on his game last night against Cedar Rapids. I haven't had too many chances to woof for my player, so I'll take any opportunity I can.

Provisional Member

How often do RPs not the closer pitch back to back nights?

It looks like about 20% of the appearances for Ryan Pressly (2016), Matt Belisle (lifetime), Craig Breslow (lifetime), Ryan O'Rourke, and Brandon Kintzler (pre-closer) are on back-to-back nights. 

It looks like about 20% of the appearances for Ryan Pressly (2016), Matt Belisle (lifetime), Craig Breslow (lifetime), Ryan O'Rourke, and Brandon Kintzler (pre-closer) are on back-to-back nights. 

thanks! IMO, that would make it not really a concern, but I get your concern, I just don't share it.

thanks! IMO, that would make it not really a concern, but I get your concern, I just don't share it.

It  shouldn't be a big concern, but when you're making the choice to keep a Rule 5 guys as a long man with the hope of keeping him beyond this year, probably as a starting option, it can limit it. 

I just think that what is best for Burdi (or Melotakis, or whichever prospect) is what is best for the Twins long-term.

Yeah, the goal should be to get Duffey out of the bullpen, not add Mejia to it.

One of Chargois or Melotakis needs to step up. Burdi is doing his job. The Twins need at least two arms in the pen.

Not sure what else Melotakis can do.  He doesn't control where he pitches.  His strikeout pitch has been a little inconsistent. He had a two week stretch covering 6 appearances where he did not strike anyone out.  And then he struck out the side just a few days ago.  His numbers otherwise are very good.  Just 2 extra base hits and just 3 walks allowed so far.  He's getting both lefties and righties out.  He has an insanely low BABIP  of .154.  So, he's either been very lucky or doing a good job inducing weak contact.

Provisional Member

I'm not sure how to read sending Turley to EST. The Twins will have to send someone down or out to make room for Berrios. Isn't it pretty likely that whoever that is takes Berrios' AAA roster spot?

I assume they'll DFA Wilk. During the limbo they can bring Turley back to AAA.

Provisional Member

Not sure what else Melotakis can do. He doesn't control where he pitches. His strikeout pitch has been a little inconsistent. He had a two week stretch covering 6 appearances where he did not strike anyone out. And then he struck out the side just a few days ago. His numbers otherwise are very good. Just 2 extra base hits and just 3 walks allowed so far. He's getting both lefties and righties out. He has an insanely low BABIP of .154. So, he's either been very lucky or doing a good job inducing weak contact.

It's probably time for AAA for Melotakis, but I don't see how such a low k rate will translate to mlb success.

Does seem Burdi is starting to turn it on.